Thailand Expats Daily Spending Poll

Anything and everything about Thailand

What do you choose to spend on food and entertainment?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Between: 0-1000 Baht
64%
1000-2000 Baht
19%
2000-3000 Baht
11%
more than-4000 Baht
6%

Total votes: 36

whitedesire

Re: Thailand Expats Daily Spending Poll

Post by whitedesire »

Yes, ur right, I'm talking from a tourist point of view.
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

Over the course of a month, without expenses (electric, water, cable, internet, etc.)... it averages out to about 2000 - 2500/day. Some days we only spend 400 baht, but other days the family shows up for the weekend, and it costs 10,000 baht. Going for a night out at karaoke? You're good for probably 2000 baht right there, plus what you spent throughout the day on food, coffee, etc.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

10,000 baht because the family showed up?
The first time I met my bf's family was up in Fang. They all (17 of them) came to the hotel restaurant for dinner. We had so much food I had to insist they take some home with them. Beer flowed freely (12 large bottles, some were under age and some didn't drink). I expected a huge bill, but when the bill arrived it was just over 3000 baht. I was a hero and very pleasantly surprised how cheap it was.
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

lvdkeyes wrote:10,000 baht because the family showed up?
Yeah, it's about that. They show up Friday afternoon after school is out, and leave Sunday afternoon. So taking care for 2 nights, 3 days, plus say a 3000 parting gift for papa. Yep, 10,000 is about right.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

IceMan wrote:Yeah, it's about that. They show up Friday afternoon after school is out, and leave Sunday afternoon. So taking care for 2 nights, 3 days, plus say a 3000 parting gift for papa. Yep, 10,000 is about right.
If you have the money and inclination to put up with that, that's fine. But what you're saying is this family, up to 17 people, just show up, stay at your place free, eat free, and then you hand over 3000 baht on top of that? If it were me, I'd be there every weekend. If that's what you really do, I won't even ask why you do that, but I would guess that very few other farang would tolerate anything similar, no matter how much money they have. It certainly isn't typical.
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

Gaybutton wrote:If you have the money and inclination to put up with that, that's fine. But what you're saying is this family, up to 17 people, just show up, stay at your place free, eat free, and then you hand over 3000 baht on top of that? If it were me, I'd be there every weekend. If that's what you really do, I won't even ask why you do that, but I would guess that very few other farang would tolerate anything similar, no matter how much money they have. It certainly isn't typical.
No, the poster above me said 17 people. When we have a weekend out like that, it's just papa, son and daughter, so 3 people. I'm at their house in the village often, so I know the conditions they live in, and don't have any issues giving them a nice weekend once a month. Especially since there's a couple kids involved here. I wish I could do more for them, but I can't.

These are the type of people who are really good hearted, typical Thais, and bring a bag of bugs or bamboo as a gift when they come. They can't afford anything more, and don't want to come empty handed. All the while, we live in a nice air-conditioned, 4 bedroom house, cable TV, fridge, the whole bit. Besides, it's Thai culture to help out your parents, and expected of you. They have never once asked for anything though, and it's always been us offering. They simply accept with gratitude.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

IceMan wrote:These are the type of people who are really good hearted, typical Thais, and bring a bag of bugs or bamboo as a gift when they come.
10,000 baht for a bag of bugs? You are indeed a very generous, good-hearted man and I'm quite certain they appreciate it sincerely. There are not many farangs that share the wealth in such a way. You should be commended for your actions and your kind, warm spirit.

They would probably be offended if you passed on the bag of bugs. I'd opt for the bamboo if there were a choice, but then I don't have 10,000 baht lying around.

I'm sure your intentions will be rewarded and come back to you many-fold. You are anything but an ice-man. :ugeek:
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

thaiworthy wrote:They would probably be offended if you passed on the bag of bugs.
Of course. I don't have to eat them, but just accept them with a gracious thank you. :)
thaiworthy wrote:I'm sure your intentions will be rewarded and come back to you many-fold.
Already has, many times over. I haven't slept beside the same guy every night for 16 months for shits & giggles. These are now my in-laws, and they live in pretty shitty conditions, so I'll do what I can to help. We can't do much at the moment, but we do what we can.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I would guess that very few other farang would tolerate anything similar, no matter how much money they have. It certainly isn't typical.
I have a good friend in Bangkok, now happily married (civil partnership-style) with a great Thai guy from the Chiang Mai area. Before they met, however, he had a short relationship with a guy whose entire family lived in the Bangkok area. WIthout fail, every Friday the entire clan, often as many as 20, would be wined and dined at simple Thai restaurants and small presents exchanged.