Dearly Departed

Anything and everything about Thailand

Do you want a funeral? How do you want your remains to be disposed?

I would like a funeral.
12%
I would not like a funeral.
17%
I want to be cremated and ashes interred in Thailand.
19%
I want to be cremated and ashes scattered at sea in Thailand.
19%
I want to be repatriated and interred in my homeland.
9%
I want to be repatriated and cremated, with ashes interred in my homeland.
16%
Other
9%

Total votes: 58

Grimmy

Re: Dearly Departed

Post by Grimmy »

I have made arrangements for there to be no religious ceremony. My body will be cremated (in Thailand) first with no hoopla. Then, however, I have a list of contacts and those people will be invited to a pre-paid "boat party" to celebrate my life and times...and at the climax, my ashes will be scattered at sea. It will be a positive end to a positive life.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
Bob

Post by Bob »

windwalker wrote: Does anyone know what type of urn is used for the cremains? Wood, ceramic, metal, etc?
My guess is that there are all types of options there but I can tell you that the cremated remains that a couple of Thai boys have shown me before consist of what I would describe as large "Mason" jars (about a gallon-sized glass jar with a standard metal lid) which contain a little more than just ashes (bone fragments and other items you hope not to identify appear to be visible). These jars are often placed in some nook at a temple, often an area set aside for that. Oftentimes you'll see candle remains or candles actually burning right next to the jars.

I'd prefer to be cremated and having the ashes simply tossed away (perhaps down the nearest toilet in a ceremony my younger brothers used to refer to as the "terminal swirly"). The idea to me of keeping the ashes somewhere is a bit disgusting (having been introduced more than once before to somebody's former "Uncle Ed" on fireplace mantels before). The whole notion of paying a fortune to some slimy embalmer to flush my veins and arteries with embalming fluid so my body rots slower in some overpriced box in the ground is probably the most disgusting thing I could think of (not that I'll give a hoot at that point in time).
monty

Post by monty »

Hi All
It is Thai Law that a Thai person living in one region such as Khorat or Bangkok cannot be buried or cremated in another region such as Banglamung.

Why?
Why? Because They have to DIE First.

I will be happy to be cremated, Free whiskey for everyone, so all can piss on the fire. My PeN Rai,,, When you live you live in Clover,, When your dead your dead all over.
Take Care
Monty
aussie

Post by aussie »

If I was a Buddhist I would not mind having that type of funeral ceremony, maybe cancel day/night 1 or change it to a lively party with some dancing music. I was at my previous bf village near Korat just after his Grandfather died last year. Funeral ceremonies lasted 3 days. Grandpa laid in a coffin/box for the first day/night in the corner while the village gathered to listen to local traditional type singing/music till 5am. Younger boys and adult men sat in the corner drinking whiskey and playing cards most of the night. Stay at a hotel in the city for the first night if you want some sleep. The second day there was a procession of monks and villagers to the temple, about 300 people gathered, it was not a sombre affair, only a few tears and the monks were joking around with some of the young kids about throwing them in the fire with Grandpa. I was included in all parts of the funeral ceremonies and Grandpa's two sons took me to the temple the next morning where the remains, just some ash and bones were carefully placed in the wall and cemented into the wall by both sons. I was not asked to pay for anything, IceMan's quote of 20-30K would be accurate. It was an interesting experience to say the least.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

:D
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Here's a vote for "other".

As a visitor and not a resident of Thailand things would be a bit complicated. There are a few friends there that come to mind who would be dependable representatives to have my body cremated and hold whatever ceremony there that would give them some comfort, and then ship me back home to my family and friends stateside.

I suspect there are a couple of folks here that would want to fly there, attend the ceremony and then bring my remains back themselves. Not being an "organized religion" person there would be a "celebration of life" gathering of some sort and my loved ones could then do what they wanted with my ashes.

Like I wrote in my September 11th post about my old friend Mark Bingham, grief is a personal thing; we all deal with it in our own way. I believe I'll be off on my next adventure and won't much care what happens to my current "shell".
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote:
IceMan wrote:The one thing I learnt though is you get a little receipt when you give 30 baht. By culture, you're supposed to burn that receipt, and watch it slowly burn while you give good wishes to the deceased. It's happened a couple times at our house now.
I never heard that before. How does it work? Do you simply burn it? Is there any kind of ceremony or ritual that goes with it? Do you burn it just anywhere or should it be at a Wat?

If one wishes to be cremated by Thai ceremony, how much does it cost?
If you go to Wat HuaLampang in Bangkok on Rama 4, MRT-Sam Yan, there's a similar burning of the receipt ritual. You enter the small building in front of the main wat and there's a long row of tables with ladies taking money (any amount) and your name is recorded and your given two receipts. One, you go to another room and paste it to some wooden coffins, then take 21 joss sticks and place 3 in each station. Lastly, you go to a vat with a fire and burn the receipt.

I go every now and then with the BF and notice there's a lot of good looking boys who seem to be available or farang shopping that frequent this wat. You can ask him to show you how to do this ritual.

http://blog.tourismthailand.org/EugeneTang/?p=781
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

In a polished mahogany coffin, buried 6 feet down with a big marble tombstone is my preference.
jaafar

Post by jaafar »

grimreaper wrote:In a polished mahogany coffin, buried 6 feet down with a big marble tombstone is my preference.
Very retro, and appealing. 8-)
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:" ... If one wishes to be cremated by Thai ceremony, how much does it cost? ... "
My gay's father died in August. He was cremated at the village Wat and the cost all-in was 60,000 baht.
That's a lot of money for a Thai farming family in Isaan, and after all was said and done, the family had to sell a few rai of land to pay for it. Such a sacrifice is very common necessity out there, and often such a sale is expected and pre-planned.

I asked Pot what his plans for me were if I kicked the bucket in Thailand unexpectedly: he said something about taking me to Pranburi (the fishing village down the road), then out to sea, then over the side.
Sounds good as anything to me.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )