Dearly Departed

Anything and everything about Thailand

Do you want a funeral? How do you want your remains to be disposed?

I would like a funeral.
12%
I would not like a funeral.
17%
I want to be cremated and ashes interred in Thailand.
19%
I want to be cremated and ashes scattered at sea in Thailand.
19%
I want to be repatriated and interred in my homeland.
9%
I want to be repatriated and cremated, with ashes interred in my homeland.
16%
Other
9%

Total votes: 58

thaiworthy

Dearly Departed

Post by thaiworthy »

This is a subject we never like to think about: Death and the disposition of our mortal remains. Where would you like to be buried? Would you rather be cremated? Would you like your ashes scattered at sea? Maybe you think you're never going to die. I've tried to include as many options as I could think of, but was not sure if embalment was available in Thailand; what little I know comes from the Buddhist belief that the remains are usually cremated. I have never seen a conventional cemetery in Thailand.

I know this is an unpleasant subject and is something maybe some of us don't want to think about. Do you have your affairs in order? Do you want a funeral? What are your last wishes?

You have two options in the vote. One option is any desire you may have for a funeral, no matter how big or small: yes or no. The other option is the disposition of your remains.

Sorry this is such a morbid subject, but I have never seen it as a forum topic and was curious to see how other people felt.
IceMan

Re: Dearly Departed

Post by IceMan »

thaiworthy wrote:Where would you like to be buried? Would you rather be cremated? Would you like your ashes scattered at sea?
I could care less. I'll be dead. Throw me in the ditch for the bugs, for all I care.
thaiworthy wrote:what little I know comes from the Buddhist belief that the remains are usually cremated.
Yep, you're right. Cremation at the temple, including a full ceremony, fire crackers, and the whole bit. If the deceased is poor and they (or nobody in the family) can't afford the ceremony & cremation, people will go door-to-door, collecting 30 baht here and there. In general, everyone gives. It's just the Thai thing to do.

The one thing I learnt though is you get a little receipt when you give 30 baht. By culture, you're supposed to burn that receipt, and watch it slowly burn while you give good wishes to the deceased. It's happened a couple times at our house now.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

IceMan wrote:The one thing I learnt though is you get a little receipt when you give 30 baht. By culture, you're supposed to burn that receipt, and watch it slowly burn while you give good wishes to the deceased. It's happened a couple times at our house now.
I never heard that before. How does it work? Do you simply burn it? Is there any kind of ceremony or ritual that goes with it? Do you burn it just anywhere or should it be at a Wat?

If one wishes to be cremated by Thai ceremony, how much does it cost?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Iceman, I would have thought you'd want to be cryogenically frozen? :D
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

Gaybutton wrote:I never heard that before. How does it work? Do you simply burn it? Is there any kind of ceremony or ritual that goes with it? Do you burn it just anywhere or should it be at a Wat?
Yep, just burn it anywhere outside. Light it on fire, put it on the ground, and watch it burn while you send your good wishes & energy to the deceased.
Gaybutton wrote:If one wishes to be cremated by Thai ceremony, how much does it cost?
About 20,000 - 30,000 baht for everything. Flowers, monks, food for the funeral party, cremation, etc.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Once I am dead I couldn't give a shit! Let my beneficiaries work it out.....
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted wrote:Once I am dead I couldn't give a shit! Let my beneficiaries work it out.....
Make me your beneficiary and Executor and I will take care of you in the best possible way. :lol:
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Has it really come down to this? Live while you can and be damned with everything else! Do you really believe this forum is God's waiting room?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaiworthy wrote: Maybe you think you're never going to die. I've tried to include as many options as I could think of, but was not sure if embalment was available in Thailand; what little I know comes from the Buddhist belief that the remains are usually cremated. I have never seen a conventional cemetery in Thailand.
Glad that you posted this thaiworthy as I did have some interest regarding the subject.

They do have embalming in Thailand however it is not up the same standards as in the US.
There are cemeteries in Thailand. The bf told me that there is one in his village. I had read that if the family cannot afford a cremation they will bury the body until they have the funds, dig it up and then cremate it.

Does anyone know what type of urn is used for the cremains? Wood, ceramic, metal, etc?
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

I think this an important and practical subject, thanks for the thread Thaiworthy.I chose cremation for a few reasons . I remember reading of cases where coffins were opened up and scratch marks were found on the inside of the lid!! Talk about a fate worse than death.
But if I had to be buried...I would choose to be buried up a Thai boy's ass..Fem type of course!