I know a Thai who doesn’t have a mobile phone
13%
I know a Farang who doesn’t have a mobile phone
13%

Total votes: 54

christianpfc

Do you use a mobile phone in Thailand?

Post by christianpfc »

This question might seem strange, but I know one Thai and one Farang who do not possess a mobile phone. How do they manage to stay in contact with friends? I have no idea. Even with a mobile phone it’s difficult to meet a Thai at an agreed time and place, without it must be impossible. In Europe, I could do without (in fact, I didn’t use a mobile phone in 2008 and 2009, except on holiday), but when in Thailand for holiday, on average I send or receive more than 10 calls or messages per day.
bao-bao

Re: Do you use a mobile phone in Thailand?

Post by bao-bao »

Yes, I use a mobile phone in Thailand and also know a couple of farang who don't use them there.

I bought a very inexpensive phone three years ago and haven't regretted it so far - but I don't give the number out to any and all, either. It's so basic it has a black and white read-out and does nothing but send and receive phone calls and texts. I think I paid about Bt800 for it. So far I haven't had any top-ups expire.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I bought a phone with the camera for taking pictures of my tricks. That way, when someone calls you can identify the caller and decide if you want to answer or not. Many Thais have the same nickname and just using their name without the matching picture to identify the caller wasn't enough. I had I think 4 boys with the same name Ton.
joyous

Post by joyous »

I do not use any mobile phone in Thailand.Why cant people survive without one?
monty

Post by monty »

Hi All
I had 17 mobile phones in Thailand all but one, which i still have, Were stolen.
How else will the Thai boys get yaba money?
Take Care
Monty
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Easy, wait for you to finish off the daily bottle...
then...it's all gone...mobile phones, tip money, laptops and more.

Monty, be a welcoming host at an existing club or bar
when you return to Pattaya, not a business owner...
Please! Your friends care for you.
tj
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

joyous wrote:I do not use any mobile phone in Thailand.Why cant people survive without one?
You certainly can do without one, but they're very handy for practical things sometimes. Remember, you don't have to be a slave to it - it's there for your convenience. Less than 10 people have my Thai cell number.

The only junk messages I receive are from one2call, the carrier. They send far too many ad messages (meaning one or two per day is far too many).
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

monty wrote:Hi All
I had 17 mobile phones in Thailand all but one, which i still have, Were stolen.
How else will the Thai boys get yaba money?
Take Care
Monty
Hmm, doesn't this say more about you than about Thai guys?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

bao-bao wrote: The only junk messages I receive are from one2call, the carrier. They send far too many ad messages (meaning one or two per day is far too many).
I used to get tons of junk mail (8-10 a day) from 1-2- call until my bf called to the call center and told them I wanted it stopped. Now, I don't get any junk messages at all.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

painai2 wrote:I bought a phone with the camera for taking pictures of my tricks. That way, when someone calls you can identify the caller and decide if you want to answer or not. Many Thais have the same nickname and just using their name without the matching picture to identify the caller wasn't enough. I had I think 4 boys with the same name Ton.
Maybe they do the same. I had a boy who asked me if he could take a photo of me with his mobile phone. Well, these boys have more traffic and numbers than the average tourist. Or to show friends whom he was with, or which Farang are good or bad. Good idea to take photos! I had one case where I did not remember where I met the boy (and who he was) whose number I had in my phone (When I come back from holiday, I type all the numbers in my computer).