No
No votes
I know a Thai who doesn’t have a mobile phone
13%
I know a Farang who doesn’t have a mobile phone
13%

Total votes: 54

christianpfc

Re: Do you use a mobile phone in Thailand?

Post by christianpfc »

joyous wrote:I do not use any mobile phone in Thailand.Why cant people survive without one?
Let me ask the other way round: how can you survive without one? "Survive" as a metaphor, e.g. for calling friends. Sometimes it took me more than 5 calls or messages to meet a Thai boy. You just can't agree in advance for a place and time, it will not work.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

When I moved here I bought a mobile and find it very convenient, but when I came here as a tourist (over a 10 year period) I never had a mobile with me and didn't find a need for one.
joyous

Post by joyous »

I see no need to make 5 calls and messages to meet a Thai boy when walking to his gogobar is usually enough!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

joyous wrote:I see no need to make 5 calls and messages to meet a Thai boy when walking to his gogobar is usually enough!
Neither do I, but believe it or not there are actually other uses for a mobile phone.
penguin

Post by penguin »

On my recent (first) visit I took a cheap phone with me and bought a Thai sim card when I arrived.

I could have survived without it, but I found it very useful. Mostly for making and confirming reservations, organising airport and hotel pick ups and taxis, and checking directions with places I was trying to find. I gave my number to some guys on Gay Romeo I was interested in meeting, with mixed results. And I did swap numbers with some boys I offed when I felt there might be a repeat - it's nice sometimes to call a guy and get him to come to you rather than having to go to the bar where he works.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

My pet peeve with any phone in Thailand is that I cannot dial 1-800 numbers back in the US! :evil:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:My pet peeve with any phone in Thailand is that I cannot dial 1-800 numbers back in the US! :evil:
You can do that without a telephone at all. If you go to an Internet shop that provides a microphone or have your own computer, from programs such as Skype you can call toll free numbers in the USA free of charge.

When I first started coming to Thailand I also saw no need for a mobile phone. After awhile I finally broke down and got one. Once I had it, I couldn't figure out how I ever lived without it.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:You can do that without a telephone at all. If you go to an Internet shop that provides a microphone or have your own computer, from programs such as Skype you can call toll free numbers in the USA free of charge.
Wow! I didn't know that. Thank you, Gaybutton! :D
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Skype is invaluable when calling 800 numbers in the US and Canada when you may spend long periods on hold. It is indeed free.

From Skype you can access Pamela, which permits you to record both sides of conversations on your computer. It too is invaluable when discussing involved situations such as insurance, investments, etc. where a great deal of important information is passed.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Skype is also available on 'smart' mobile phones. I have it on my iPhone. I used it a lot in Thailand when I had access to free WiFi. This is different from a Thai sim card phone though. To use my iPhone in Thailand, with my UK contract and sim card, would be far too expensive. So I use it pretty much only on WiFi. So I suppose my answer to the question should really be that I used 2 mobile phones in Thailand.