Poll-Do you like farang female impersonator shows?

Anything and everything about Thailand

Do you like to see "farang female impersonator shows"?

1/ Yes ,I like to watch them and will go to see them.
13%
2/No I do not like them,I dont want to see them.
87%

Total votes: 75

thaiworthy

Re: Poll-Do you like farang female impersonator shows?

Post by thaiworthy »

Jomtienbob wrote:I too voted no. Generally I would put watching drag shows in a class with paint drying.
Very funny. That is what I'd rather do, too. That and watching a casket warp or a fly crawling up a drape. :D
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

The question we were asked to vote on was Do you like to see "farang female impersonator shows"? - and I voted NO.

Not that I don't have some respect for the events at the Stonewall bar and the men who stood up to the harassment and began a movement that has given all of us reason to give thanks, but the whole idea of men who are quite obviously not women trying to pass as women makes me uncomfortable at best, and sometimes just a tad squeamish.

I have friends who are both pre- and post-operative transsexuals, and that's enough of a challenge for my own personal sensibilities (although I understand that's my baggage).

Middle-aged - and older - farang doing drag, either well or in an attempt to be comical turn me off completely. I don't find it amusing or entertaining in the least - especially those who insist on doing the risqué or "oh, don't take offense, I'm only joking!" routines. I agree that it's "Amos 'n' Andy" behavior that belongs at a private party, if that.

Luckily they all seem to like their characters and acts well enough themselves to make up for my disdain.

...and now I guess I need to wait a while before doing a post about the Thai drag shows, which can be done as interesting "illusions" and not merely bawdy attempts to be clever. The Thai impersonators can be intriguing - even if you're NOT a fan of ladyboys.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

I like Drag Queen, lip synch shows and I happen to know that a great many others do as well...despite this poll and the obvious lack of ladyboy show lovers on gay Thailand forums. For me, growing up in the gay bar circuit watching the drag shows was a coming of age event... and in the USA, in my generation it was a big business. I admit, I don't like the comedic, ugly drag as much as the beautiful, broadway types...but I do enjoy a good show.

Sorry to be the cog in the wheel of this thread.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:I do enjoy a good show.
If you find a good one in Pattaya, let me know where it is . . .
jomtiemlover

Post by jomtiemlover »

Nearly the end of the night.I realise we all live in different time zones so I urge you to vote if you haven't already done so .
And we we'll see how it all fans out.I am disapointed.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

jomtiemlover wrote:Nearly the end of the night.I realise we all live in different time zones so I urge you to vote if you haven't already done so .
And we we'll see how it all fans out.I am disapointed.
You are not going to get 36 more yes votes in the next 45 minutes. I hate to see anyone so disappointed as you appear to be. If it's any consolation, maybe this board is not representative of the whole farang population. Some venues are packed, so some people must like them.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

I do believe there is a difference between farangs who are fit and in their prime doing a drag act to those in their
golden years and morbidly obese ..
Somehow, it is just more painful to the eyes to see the old queens wearing support hose and using a Zimmer frame than
young shapely farangs.. but just slightly more painful.
Also painful are the Thai drag shows when the do the "ugly" girl with blackened teeth and a fright wig and lots of screeching!!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Like the rest of you, I appreciate the Stonewall drag queens who took on the NYPD and began the fight for our freedom. But, there is a big difference between the drags of Stonewall and those who perform in Pattaya. The Stonewall ladies donned drag as both an expression of who they were and as a political statement. It seems to me the Pattaya farang drags hold themselves up to ridicule for the amusement of an audience. As they somehow represent me as a member of the gay community, I find their performances not only boring, but frankly offensive. I would never take steps to prevent them from doing what they do, but I sure don't support or applaud them. I just don't find making fun of women by becoming a caricature of the worst stereotype amusing.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I voted no because I don't want to see neither farang nor women (or impersonations of them) in shows. All I want are young Thai men in under- or swimmwear. However it can be a bit entertaining (once or twice a year for some minutes), but I would not deliberately watch farang female impersonator shows.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:Perhaps the bar owners whose bars have these shows should take a look at this poll.
Good point! But when was the last time a bar owner looked any further than what he or his boyfriend deemed correct?