Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 54

Jason1988

Re: Should I Start a New Forum for Ads?

Post by Jason1988 »

I like the fact that you have the ads mixed in with the text.

It makes for a more interesting forum.

I know for myself, seeing the ads while looking at the forum gives
me ideas as places I might want to visit.

As an example, the ads for Yaya bar enticed me to visit. If there was a section
for ads, I might not that part of the forum.

What I don't understand is why you don't have paid as like SGT.

Wouldn't that help with the expenses of running the board?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I am trying to understand. If some people want to see averts and some don't what would the reason be not to want the adverts on the same page under a seperate category as G.B. said can be done?
I also agree with Jasons' feelings about paid advertising.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I am trying to understand.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so far the voting indicates that the majority disagrees with you. I'm going to go with what the majority wants. That's why I posted this poll in the first place. I won't make a decision one way or the other for a few days to give everyone who wishes to vote a chance to do it, so you still have time to try to sway those who have not yet voted to your point of view.
tdperhs

Post by tdperhs »

If it went to a separate page, I would never see them. As far as having to see things I don't want to look at, that happens with so many things on these forums. However, it is not as if I have only milliseconds to read these threads. Most of us have the leisure to read or press a button and pass on a post or a thread. Also, I think you would need more than common sense to determine if some things are productively informative, i.e. give dates and times for non-regularly scheduled events and personality appearances, and material that is simply a rehash of old information. In between those extremes is a great deal of gray area.
If it is working, leave it alone. The consensus so far is for "It's working."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Also, if the ads bother anyone that much, you can see the screen name of whoever is posting ads. All you have to do is put that name on your "foes" list and that will be the end of you seeing the ads. Those posts will be ignored.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

For me the ads are no problem at all. Also, there are most probably many members that do not post. They may prefer to get information from your forum without being a poster.
Pattayamale
Living happily
BeginnersMind

Post by BeginnersMind »

I say just delete the ones that don't add value. Keep the ones that do. Don't try to define 'adds value' - you know it when you see it.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

I don't really think we can decide which ads have 'value' and which don't. That would most certainly be a very subjective decision based person to person. To me, I like the ads. It is a nice way of knowing what's going on in the community and also helps promote gay-friendly businesses and organizations.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Grimmy wrote:I don't really think we can decide which ads have 'value' and which don't. That would most certainly be a very subjective decision based person to person. To me, I like the ads. It is a nice way of knowing what's going on in the community and also helps promote gay-friendly businesses and organizations.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
I thought the idea to use the "ignore" function to bypass ads from unwanted venues-- was a good one. That is how a subjective decision could be made and which have ads have a their own "value" for you and which don't. However, this is all a moot point. Among all the boards, for as many years as I have been reading, I can't remember more than one or two bars that actively advertised. If this changes dramatically, using the ignore feature would be a good management tool.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BeginnersMind wrote:I say just delete the ones that don't add value. Keep the ones that do. Don't try to define 'adds value' - you know it when you see it.
The only ones who would be able to do that would be the person who posted the ad and me. Thank you, but I'm not going to be placed in the position of deciding which ads have value. What I'm going to do is exactly what I've already said I would do. Considering the poll is running consistently with three times as many people saying not to start a new forum and just leave things as they are, somehow I have a feeling I'm not going to start a new forum and I'm going to leave things as they are.