Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 54

Gaybutton

Should I Start a New Forum for Ads?

Post by Gaybutton »

I suppose most of you have seen that some people are complaining about ads appearing in the threads on this Forum. I don't see it as a problem, but apparently enough of you do that it warrants a poll to find out your opinions. I prefer to keep the number of forums to a minimum, but if a clear majority wants me to start a 4th forum and require that all ads go on that forum, I will do so.

Ok, then. Here's your chance to voice your opinion as to whether to start a 4th forum exclusively for advertising posts or leave things status quo for the time being.

I'm limiting this poll to either yes or no, with no other voting options. If you vote yes, that means you want me to start a 4th forum. If you vote no, that means you want me to leave things as they are, at least for now. If you're not sure or if you don't care one way or the other, pick the choice closest to your opinion or abstain from voting.
penguin

Re: Should I Start a New Forum for Ads?

Post by penguin »

I don't think it's a problem ... yet. It is a problem for some on other websites because different forums exist for different areas, or for areas within areas, and things are being posted more than once. Here, I think it's fine. If a post is dull, it drops down the forum pretty quick, and if it contains something that is interesting, it hovers around. I think that's as good a way of controling them as any other.

And often, "ads" might actually not be ads at all but simple posts from a venue that are newsworthy or community focussed, or just fun. It would be unfair I think to send those posts into what would soon become a pretty much ignored or mistrusted "commercial" area of the website.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

penguin wrote:And often, "ads" might actually not be ads at all but simple posts from a venue that are newsworthy or community focussed, or just fun. It would be unfair I think to send those posts into what would soon become a pretty much ignored or mistrusted "commercial" area of the website.
Once again, I intend to let common sense prevail. I think all of us, including the venues, know the difference between ads and other kinds of posts. I would certainly not require posts to necessarily be placed on an ad forum simply because the origin of the post is someone who advertises here.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Gaybutton wrote:Once again, I intend to let common sense prevail. I think all of us, including the venues, know the difference between ads and other kinds of posts. I would certainly not require posts to necessarily be placed on an ad forum simply because the origin of the post is someone who advertises here.
That's good to hear. But my vote remains 'no'. A venue will soon hear about it if they're posting too many 'ads', or if their ads are annoying. That may encourage more engagement and more imagination from venues, and that would be a good thing. And I haven't yet been annoyed by any ad posts on this site.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:Once again, I intend to let common sense prevail. I think all of us, including the venues, know the difference between ads and other kinds of posts.
"Common sense" is a gift sadly lacking in most who would over-promote a club, restaurant or whatever, but since you seem to be willing so far to keep an eye on the nonsense posts here I voted "no" to a new spot, also. Part of the beauty of the forum is the simplicity of navigation - and the lack of ads.

Thanks for asking, though.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm sort of undecided.

As I use the "View New Posts" button, it wouldn't make much difference -they would appear on the list of threads.

Ideally there would be a 4th forum for ads and a "View New Posts, EXCEPT for the Ads" button.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

kjun12 wrote:I feel that it would defeat the purpose of adds to place them in a separate forum. No one would go to it. Just let it roll as it is.

Here lyes the point! If you want to see adverts simply look at the section where they are so why put them among topics? If one wants to view an ad one goes to the separate section containing adds. Your choice of commercial free media and an option to view adverts on there own.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

LKAsians wrote:I don't think a new forum is necessary. The ads may bother some, but provide information to others.

They would still provide the same info if they were lumped together on the same page as everything else.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

no
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

kjun12 wrote:I feel that it would defeat the purpose of adds to place them in a separate forum. No one would go to it.
I disagree. People who are already in the country and looking for info, those who are going to be there soon and those who are "fans" of a particular club or restaurant would look in that forum - same as the folks who say they like having them in the main forum. I just don't care for it when a particular establishment posts an ad more than once a week.