8%
Elsewhere in Asia
4%

Total votes: 178

Rogie

Re: Who Are You?

Post by Rogie »

Rainwalker wrote:Strangely for a 'red diaper' baby
I haven't come across that expression before - does the 'red' refer to the political beliefs or affiliations of your parents?
Rainwalker

Post by Rainwalker »

I haven't come across that expression before - does the 'red' refer to the political beliefs or affiliations of your parents?
In their book Red Diapers: Growing Up in the Communist Left, Judy Kaplan and Linn Shapiro define red diaper babies as "children of CPUSA members, children of former CPUSA members, and children whose parents never became members of the CPUSA but were involved in political, cultural, or educational activities led or supported by the Party. More generally, the phrase is sometimes used to refer to a child of any radical parent, regardless of that parent's past partisan affiliation (or the affiliation of the child).
cdnmatt

Post by cdnmatt »

I'm Canadian, 28 years old, living in Khon Kaen, Thailand. At times I still ask myself how I ended up here in life, but I'm definitely not complaining. Every place has its pros and cons, but when I weigh out the options, KK is an excellent place for me. I've lived in eight different countries now, have traveled to dozens, and have to say Thailand is a good fit for me. My parents lived in Malaysia for three years, but have since retired to Canada, hence how I came to discover Thailand. Made several previous trips to Thailand, but back in April 2009 decided on a 5 week vacation to Asia to visit my parents, and do some traveling. I never made it back to Canada.

Thailand was on my "maybe" list, but it turns out Hanoi is a total shit hole that I hate, so after two nights I hopped on a plane to Thailand, and off to Pattaya I went. That's when I first met Kim. I've met many Thai boys previous to that, so I know the game, but he was different (I know, I know... shut up, and quit laughing). When we first met he couldn't speak a word of English, and I couldn't speak a word of Thai, but nonetheless, here we are 15 months later settled into our home in KK. Life is grand!

Basically all farangs I've met, online or in person, have told me I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing. Thing is, when it comes to true character, Kim has proven himself FAR more than any farang in Thailand I know, so I'll side with him. We've definitely had our ups and downs, and been through our share of turmoil, but always managed to come out on top. Actually, we're doing excellent these days, and not sure why. I guess it's just time doing its thing, and as the months tick by, we grow on each other, and the relationship becomes deeper and more intrisical.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

cdnmatt wrote:Basically all farangs I've met, online or in person, have told me I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing.
I don't think you are an idiot. I think you are a very happy man with a good head on your shoulders. Enjoy life for what it is and don't be bothered by other people casting aspersions on your choices. I wish you and Kim the best.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
sammy

Post by sammy »

It's interesting that over 70% of the people voting in this thread are visitors to Thailand, not expats. I am surprised because I always thought that expats tend to dominate these posting boards about Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

sammy wrote:It's interesting that over 70% of the people voting in this thread are visitors to Thailand, not expats.
Some may be a combination of the two. A number of people live in Thailand several months out of the year and go back to their home countries for several months as well.
rhodochrosite

Post by rhodochrosite »

I'm from LONDON ...UK....I desperately wanted to join this board..!!!!!....my interest in THAILAND was rapidly diminishing and felt that the layout of the board was simply GREAT.....GAYBUTTONTHAI is SIMPLY THE BEST......Well let's say I Have 2 Boards enjoy using!!!!.....rhodochrosite(maybe a select few know me ...maybe not......for now I will leave it at that)....I plan to restart EXTENSIVE travel again its long overdue.....On Tuesday I'm out of the UK having just collected my new 48 page CHIPPED passport from Victoria.!!!WOW!!!....I'm really excited!!!...rhodo.
Khortose

Post by Khortose »

cdnmatt wrote: Basically all farangs I've met, online or in person, have told me I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing.
You are not an idiot, you have just been posting on a board that looks like this, but has a lot of real idiots. Glad you found someone and very glad it is working for you. I was recently in Khon kaen and I loved it. It looks like a great place to open a gay bar, and when you get time in a different thread I would welcome your thoughts on this subject. Glad you made it over here.
CurlyEye

Post by CurlyEye »

sammy wrote:It's interesting that over 70% of the people voting in this thread are visitors to Thailand, not expats. I am surprised because I always thought that expats tend to dominate these posting boards about Thailand.
IMO, a high pct of the expats do not post much because they are here living the life every day. Why go online and talk about it much?

I know when I was back in the USA, I was a much more frequent reader of Thailand forums than I am while living here. Mainly because it gives me the feeling of still be part of the scene I guess. Helps to ease the boredom of the relatively mundane life most of lead back in the western world compared to LOS.
CurlyEye

Post by CurlyEye »

I am glad to see my friend Gaybutton has started a new forum, which I just heard about last week. To me GB, you are like a walking encyclopedia on things to do with living in Thailand. If I want to know something, GB is the first one I usually call.

I'm from the USA, but have been here in Thailand the better part of the past year. I spent time in Philippines too and IMO both places have pluses and minuses. I do not make long term plans much. I may be here till next yr or longer or may go back to USA for a while at any time, if the spirit moves me.