Australia
8%
Elsewhere in Asia
4%

Total votes: 178

Grimmy

Who Are You?

Post by Grimmy »

Since this is a new board, I thought it might be nice to give everyone a chance to share who they are and where they are from. I have attached a poll to address the former, but why not introduce yourself in this thread and share a little information?

I am an American expat who has been in Thailand for many years and have been active and inactive on almost all the boards at one time or another. I only choose to contribute when I feel there is something to be gained and enjoyed, I am not a fan of flaming for the sake of just being nasty. I have had a myriad of relationships in my stay here, both long term and short time and look forward to sharing some of my experiences in this arena sometime in the future.

There's a start.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
xiandarkthorne

Re: Who Are You?

Post by xiandarkthorne »

I'm an Asian freelance author and editor (ex-hotelier and primary school teacher among other things) and I live in Malaysia, about 4 hours south of the Thai border. I have relatives in Thailand so I visit them in Hatyai in the south quite regularly. I have not been to BKK or Phuket in 5 years and I have never been to Pattaya, though I plan to do something about that soon.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
Khortose

Post by Khortose »

After spending two months a year in Thailand for six years, I decided to retire and live in Chiang Mai. I am now coming up on my one year anniversary. Retired food processing manager and ex government worker with only one boy friend. Not really a party animal. I come to these boards for the valuable information and topical comments I find, and I have met some very good people through these message boards. I like people and I am always pleased to meet new faces and get to know others. I am always open to questions about Chiang Mai, but many others know the "entertainment" scene better then I.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm orignally from southern California (Long Beach, hence the LB) and moved to Thailand 12 years ago. Like Sherwins (Did we ever know each other back home?) I am a retired professor from California State University. While I've traveled extensively throughout Thailand, I prefer Pattaya and enjoy my friends here and the various amenities the city has to offer. I've lived with my Thai boyfriend now for 11 years, but don't expect me to understand the Thai mentality any better than anyone else.
jinks

Post by jinks »

Hello, better luck this time aroud.
simoncnx

Post by simoncnx »

From the UK, ex oil exploration worked in asia 10 years africa 10 years and stints in europe and usa. Retired at 49 (hehe) and moved to thailand when i was 52. Living in Chiang Mai and now helping Spice mag update their CM listings (good excuse to visit everywhere)
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

I have now lived in Pattaya (Central area) for about 4 years full time. Before I retired to Pattaya, I visited 2 months back to USA for 4 months then repeated 2 months here 4 months in USA. My Thai Friend and I have been together 12 years. He has completely re-modeled our house and loves to spend the days tending to his garden, fish and 8 dogs. Life is good!
Pattayamale
Living happily
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

%0+ Aussie with a wish to retire to Asia in the very near future.
lexusgs

Post by lexusgs »

I'd like to the same as Simoncnx if I can and retire at 49-50, although I'm 5 yrs away from that
From North of UK and worked in Automotive industry for 25yrs recently in Kenya,Sudan,Dubai and
Nigeria(too my Thai guy there!)
Enjoy Pattaya because of the choice and easy distance to BKK
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lexusgs wrote: Enjoy Pattaya because of the choice and easy distance to BKK
Now it's even easier. That new access road to the motorway, located between Central Road (Pattaya Klang) and North Road (Pattaya Nua) cuts a good 20 minutes or so off the trip if you go by car. I drove to Bangkok yesterday and returned this morning. Both ways it took me about an hour and 15 minutes. Of course, once you hit Bangkok traffic it's a different ballgame.