Is This Forum Too Pattayacentric?

Anything and everything about Thailand

Is this forum too Pattayacentric

Poll ended at Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:01 pm

No
41%
Yes
47%
Other (please comment if you have selected this option).
13%

Total votes: 32

Undaunted

Is This Forum Too Pattayacentric?

Post by Undaunted »

:?:
Gaybutton

Re: Is This Forum Too Pattayacentric?

Post by Gaybutton »

I nearly voted yes, but changed my mind and voted "other." I'd like to see much more posting about other areas of Thailand, but we're not getting very many posts from people about other areas. I wish they would, but posting primarily about Pattaya seems to be a common denominator from among all the gay Thailand boards. We do get posts about other areas, but nowhere near the number of posts we get about Pattaya. Maybe it's because most board members are more familiar with Pattaya than other areas, although I'm somewhat surprised there are not many more posts about Bangkok and Chiang Mai than we get. Good or bad, that's the way it's been since gay Thailand message boards first existed. So, I voted "other" not because I would disagree that the board is overly "Pattayacentric," but because I think people tend to want to post about the areas they are most familiar with and also in response to other people's posts. Most of the time it is simply assumed that posts are about Pattaya, even when the post does not specify the city.

The main posts about Chiang Mai lately, for example, have been about places to stay, restaurants and massages. But little about the bar scene or other aspects of the gay scene or about things to do in and around Chiang Mai.

I, for one, would love to see a much greater number of posts about other areas of Thailand.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I voted for "just another silly poll...."

Sure this forum and a couple of others are mainly about Pattaya but that's because that area is best known to the majority of the posters. I personally don't really care all that much what's happening in Pattaya but I hardly expect the majority of the posters to feel that way.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I agree just another silly poll, so I voted other.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

I agree. Useless poll. No vote.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:I agree. Useless poll. No vote.
I think it does have at least one good use. It brings to the forefront the fact that we just don't get very many posts about other areas of Thailand. For whatever reasons, the majority of posts are Pattaya posts, but I would very much like to see much more posting about other places in Thailand too.

"The Bible is a book. It's a good book. But it's not the only book."
- Henry Drummond, 'Inherit the Wind'
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I live in Bangkok. As has been discussed before (somewhere!), the problem here is that I suspect most potential readers and posters are still working or are only semi-retired. That creates a time problem for many. And unless it is at the week-end, meeting up with friends is very dependant on issues like traffic and, at this time of year, weather. So posting and chatting about posts is bound to be less frequent that in a more compact community like Pattaya.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
The main posts about Chiang Mai lately, for example, have been about places to stay, restaurants and massages. But little about the bar scene or other aspects of the gay scene or about things to do in and around Chiang Mai.

I, for one, would love to see a much greater number of posts about other areas of Thailand.

It might be meaningless to some of you but not to the guy who's quote is above as he is interested in expanding his base!
pong

Post by pong »

voted for yes-most of the explanations have already been told by others.
What gives me this impression is that about any minor, tiny menu change in whatever PTY restrt I have never heard about seems to get posted. Well-for that big city of BKK that would be impossible anyway. So it is more the flux of so many seemingly irrelevant posts that creates that impression. But honest, dear khun GB; other boards are far worse in that respect. IMHO this board wins hands down-in so short a time, in relevant issues posted, compared to the others.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote:IMHO this board wins hands down-in so short a time, in relevant issues posted, compared to the others.
I appreciate that comment. As for this board being too "Pattayacentric," I voted yes too, but I don't see that as a problem. I believe the reason there is so much posted about Pattaya - and not just this board, but on all of the gay Thailand boards - is not because we're over-doing Pattaya, but because we're "under-doing" everywhere else. I'm hoping the two current threads, one about Trongpai's travels and one about Chiang Mai, might encourage others who are familiar with other areas to start posting about their experiences, where to go, what to see, what to do, where to stay, entertainment, and of course any gay activity information, although the posts don't necessarily have to be gay-oriented all the time either. And photos are very helpful as well.