No, I don't like it.
58%
I am ambivalent about Songkran.
6%

Total votes: 33

Grimmy

Songkran...Love it or Hate it?

Post by Grimmy »

So, taking GB's advice, here is a poll and thread all about Songkran. Personally, I'd be happy to see this holiday completely debunked for what it really is... a sham. What started out as a beautiful, cultural and ritualistic holiday honoring elders by using perfumed water to wash their hands and feet has now become a hedonistic, mean-spirited, drunken free-for-all for people to act as disgustingly reckless and uncaring as they choose.

I say dunk Songkran!

:mrgreen: Grimmy
lvdkeyes

Re: Songkran...Love it or Hate it?

Post by lvdkeyes »

I usually escape Thailand for Songkran, but, unfortunately :( , this year I will be here since we are going away in the latter part of May.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm one of those who enjoy Songkran. I don't know about it being mean spirited, though. Walking through the streets packed with young Thais laughing, dancing, and having such a good time is infectious, to me. I just accept being soaked and wear the smeared powder as if it's an honor. True it's no longer the gentle sprinkling of water to honor elders, but instead a national water fight. Besides, where else in the world can you rub your hands over the bodies of finely muscled young men on the street and be greeted with a smile and laughter?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I could be wrong but I think most of the negative comments I've heard from falang about Songkran involve their experiences mainly in Pattaya. Maybe part of the reason for that is the length of the games there.

I've spent the last two Songkrans in Hua Hin where they celebrate it for only one day (well, there's a little minor water throwing on a few of the back sois the night before too). And I have spent many Songkrans up here in Chiangmai (the scene around the moat is absolutely crazy for the three-day time period).

But, all in all, I enjoy the heck out of it and see it as an opportunity to take a lot of photos of Thais having a blast (and, yea, you do see people doing some stupid things too - jumping off the moat bulwarks into the moat, tossing rancid moat water, driving with one hand on the wheel with the other one wrapped around a bottle of Sangsom or Maekhong, etc., etc.). Most Thais, from the very young to the somewhat old, reflect on their faces (smiles) how they feel about it and, in the proper mood, a falang can enjoy it the same way. One doesn't seem to be molested before 11AM or after 7PM around here so it's a somewhat limited time that you have to be "on guard." And, if you're properly prepared (wearing sandals, shorts, a tee-shirt, wallet in a baggie, etc.), getting nailed with some water is actually refreshing at times. I usually stand back 10-15 feet and take photos and, although I do carry a plastic bag to protect the camera, I rarely have to use it, even by the moat.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I voted for yes, I enjoy it. I can only repeat what I said on the "Thailand A Love Hate Relationship" thread:
Gaybutton wrote:Regarding Songkran, not me. I love Songkran, especially in Pattaya. I love being right out there in the thick of it, with all the wet t-shirted and shirtless boys! The only thing I dislike about Songkran is the fact that it's only one week per year. I can also do without the drunken farang that splash the water more to cause havoc than for fun for everyone.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

As I live in Pattaya for the past 3 years I plan a trip, I leave the day before Songkran starts and try to return the day after it has ended.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

Can't believe we are having a debate about Songkran in October! Earliest ever I think! For me, hate it except the last day. I have to close my business for a full week with concomitant loss of earnings.....
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I've found that Songkran in Pattaya lasts from April 10 until late on April 20. This last Songkran was my last Songkran in Pattaya. For those 10 days, you've got to watch your back all day and all night or you can get soaked anywhere you go, and I don't find it fun at all. I I actually plan on leaving April 6 this year and returning April 26, so I will not be here for any of the "fun".
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

I vote NO.

In Pattaya, Songkran it is an excuse for gross misbehavior, drunkenness, hooliganism, assault, deliberately maiming others, causing death by dangerous driving etc.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

patexpat wrote:Can't believe we are having a debate about Songkran in October!
It's never too soon for a good debate around here . . .
Jogger wrote:In Pattaya, Songkran it is an excuse for gross misbehavior, drunkenness, hooliganism, assault, deliberately maiming others, causing death by dangerous driving etc.
Well other than that, what's the problem . . . ?

Actually, I observe the same behavior, but rarely from the Thais. Most I've observed is caused by drunken, low-life farang.