58%
I am ambivalent about Songkran.
6%

Total votes: 33

Geezer

Re: Songkran...Love it or Hate it?

Post by Geezer »

Why I don’t like ten days of Songkran:

I had a friend, now deceased from alcoholism, who told me there are few things worse than being sober in a group of drunks.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

On your way to dinner, 8pm, dressed, dry, ending up soaked and covered with prickly heat powder in an air conditioned restaurant, is pure hell not fun.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

TheCornerBar wrote:On your way to dinner, 8pm, dressed, dry, ending up soaked and covered with prickly heat powder in an air conditioned restaurant, is pure hell not fun.
That's when having a car comes in real handy. A good raincoat doesn't hurt anything either. Regarding dinner, Songkran is very lucrative for Door-2-Door and Waiter-on-Wheels . . .
Jason1988

Post by Jason1988 »

Twenty-five years ago this holiday was fun and something to be seen as a first time visitor.
Over the last few years the holiday has been hijacked by those that are out of control. They
use it as an excuse to get drunk and harm others. This is not what the holiday was originally
about. Too bad that a few can ruin it for many others.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

The results of this survey don't surprise me. Most falang I talk to don't like Songkran and the ones that do are usually expats who aren't trying to work and/or just come "out of their shell" for small periods of time. For the rest of us, the whole disastrous holiday is not just an inconvenience, but also a display of pure, rude, recklessness. I disagree with Gaybutton's assertion that the Thais aren't out of control and rude as well as the falang... but I submit to the fact that there are many, "low-life" falang who are just appalling in their behavior and demeanor. Many Thais drive drunk, many Thais smear that burning powder all over you.. even when you politely ask them not to, and many Thais act in a way that is contrary to how they would in every day life. To me, it turns the "Land of Smiles" into "The Land of Beguiles" and I despise it.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I believe your poll has been constructed to support your own bias as the most important option was left out!

O) I used to enjoy Songkran but I no longer do.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Grimmy wrote:The results of this survey don't surprise me. Most falang I talk to don't like Songkran and the ones that do are usually expats who aren't trying to work and/or just come "out of their shell" for small periods of time.
Those results are skewed, in my opinion, by the Pattaya and Bangkok residents and visitors. I'd bet you a few baht that a majority of falang enjoy it in rural Thailand (where, again, it's not so crazy or long as in Pattaya) and that even a higher percentage of falang enjoy it up here in Chiangmai.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Bob wrote:Those results are skewed, in my opinion, by the Pattaya and Bangkok residents and visitors. I'd bet you a few baht that a majority of falang enjoy it in rural Thailand (where, again, it's not so crazy or long as in Pattaya) and that even a higher percentage of falang enjoy it up here in Chiangmai.
You may be right about the location difference, Bob. However, I don't think anyone can vote based on what they don't know...so I think everyone votes with their own locale in mind. For me, I have been to Songkran in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Prayo. Though I must say it was better in the Northern locations, I would still vote the same because I think the holiday has lost its meaning and good nature no matter where in Thailand.
Undaunted wrote:I believe your poll has been constructed to support your own bias as the most important option was left out!

O) I used to enjoy Songkran but I no longer do.
I'm sure this is just a joke, however if you are serious I still think the choice of not liking Songkran applies to your position.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
choctop

Post by choctop »

Love it but only for one day!
same same

Post by same same »

I am yet to experience Songkran, and to be honest, I can't wait!

Cheers