Thailand Photos

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Thailand Photos

Post by Jun »

First photo. A very nice coffee shop in Petchaburi.

Two features of note:
(i) The handsome staff.
(ii) Spot the only English words in the entire shop. I've cropped and zoomed the photo to make it fit the 800 pixel limit and still be legible.

BKKDreamer

Re: Thailand Photos

Post by BKKDreamer »

-->> Tipbox
-->>> Thank ??? the rest is non legible - but I would imagine that it is You ?
pong

Post by pong »

There is in fact not a real Thai word for ´tip´ in the way of extra monetary remittance. As one can read in about any broader guide etc it is also not a real Thai (or Asean) custom-as in the past about all things were negotiated all the time, it would also not make much sense. In Malsyai it is even much more of a non-thing as now in TH with too many spilt tourists.
My very best friend has after his studies found a job in setting up such cf-shops-ala Amazon. When that was saturated he turned to fruitshake-stands/shops.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Yes, I reached the same conclusion about the tip box. It's in English as that's the target market for the tip box, even if everything else in the shop is aimed at locals first.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here is a bilingual tip box.

Whilst they appear to have a Thai word for box, the Thai part for tip is tip.

They see no need to thank users in Thai either.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Here we are on a beach just north of Prachuap Khiri Khan. The beach is being replaced with one long sea wall, so at high tide, there will be no beach.
Further south, the town of Prachuap already has a road which appears to have been built over the beach, again leaving no beach at high tide.

Contrast with Jomtien, where they are widening the beach

thaiophilus

Post by thaiophilus »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:52 pm Here is a bilingual tip box.

Whilst they appear to have a Thai word for box, the Thai part for tip is tip.
รวม isn't the Thai word for "box". It means something like "together" or "total". I suppose the implication is that the tip is shared between the staff.
Jun

Post by Jun »

thaiophilus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:29 pm รวม isn't the Thai word for "box". It means something like "together" or "total". I suppose the implication is that the tip is shared between the staff.
Well there's another point. There is usually nothing saying how the tips are used.

Several times per trip, I find a business where they don't have enough change in the till and raid the tip box to give me change.
I've never seen them reconcile this, by taking small change out and putting a larger note back to balance it. Which makes it look like the tip box money is treated the same as till money.