Dangerous air pollution levels reported in Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Dangerous air pollution levels reported in Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

Levels of PM2.5 air pollution exceeded the safe limit in half of Bangkok’s 50 districts on Monday morning.

by THE NATION

January 23, 2023

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) reported that PM2.5 had risen above the safe limit of 50 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m3) of air in 29 spots covering 25 districts of the capital.

PM2.5 is fine dust that penetrates deep into the lungs and can pass to other organs. It is associated with premature death from lung and heart conditions, especially in vulnerable people such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

The BMA’s Bangkok Air Quality website showed PM2.5 readings had breached the safe limit at the following 29 monitoring stations between 5am and 7am on Monday:

- Nong Khaem district (Ma Charoen Road Intersection): 68µg/m3

- Nong Chok district office: 67

- Lat Krabang (Lat Krabang Hospital): 65

- Min Buri (Rama IX Commemoration Park): 64

- Klong Sam Wa district office: 64

- Pathum Wan (in front of Samyan Mitrtown mall): 58

- Prawet (in front of Seacon Square mall): 58

- Lat Krabang (Queen Sirikit 60th Anniversary Park): 58

- Bang Khen district office: 57

- Khan Na Yao (Siam Park entrance): 57

- Bueng Kum district office: 57

- Bang Sue district office: 56

- Thawee Watthana (Thonburi Market, Sanam Luang 2): 56

- Taling Chan district (Buddhamonthon 1-Borom Rajchonnee Road): 55

- Bang Phlat district office: 55

- Bang Bon district (Suk Sawad Market): 55

- Nong Chok district office: 55

- Wang Thong Lang (Soi Lat Phrao) 95: 55

- Phasi Charoen (in front of Siam University): 54

- Sai Mai district office: 54

- Don Muang district office: 54

- Pom Prab (Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council): 54

- Thawee Watthana (Thawi Wanarom Park): 54

- Thon Buri (Mahaisawan Intersection): 54

- Bangkok Yai (Tha Phra Intersection): 53

- Bang Na (in front of Central Bang Na mall): 53

- Bueng Kum (Seri Thai Park): 52

- Yan Nawa (near Bank of Ayudhya headquarters): 51

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand ... l/40024263

BKKDreamer

Re: Dangerous air pollution levels reported in Bangkok

Post by BKKDreamer »

GB - as this is my first year living here - is this why there is a "non-typical" haze in the sky lately over here in Jomtien?
Prior to this new type of haze - the sun would rise and start to burn it away....
Of lately, this "non-typical" haze is not burning away.....

So, the burning fields from way up north and in Myanmar are also reaching us down here at the sea in Jomtien ?

Jun

Post by Jun »

I've seen small scale burning in Chonburi. Plus all the rubbish burning and badly maintained vehicles. The Thais can't reasonably blame any other country for most of the pollution

You can buy 3M PM2.5 filter rolls in Home Pro. Fit to your aircon and they reduce PM2.5 levels in your room. And/or get those dedicated filter units.

The latter isn't really practical as a tourist, but when I get my act together and am in the same place for about a month, I buy a filter roll

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:41 am
GB - as this is my first year living here - is this why there is a "non-typical" haze in the sky lately over here in Jomtien?
I'm not sure if the haze is due to pollution, just the weather, or a combination of the two. I'm also not sure where Pattaya air pollution is coming from other than from vehicle exhaust. I doubt Myanmar is the source, but whatever the source is, not much we can do about it other than face masks. Often the recommendation is to remain indoors. That's on my "I Don't Get It" list. The air indoors is coming from the same air that's outside, isn't it?

You can always check the current air quality at: https://www.iqair.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya

There is also a smartphone app: iqair

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

BKKDreamer wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:41 am
Prior to this new type of haze - the sun would rise and start to burn it away....
Of lately, this "non-typical" haze is not burning away.....
Yesterday (Monday) was the worst visibility I have seen in Pattaya. You couldn’t even see half way to Ko Larn and I’m in Jomtien. Today is far, far better and I bet the pollution is far less too.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am
Often the recommendation is to remain indoors. That's on my "I Don't Get It" list. The air indoors is coming from the same air that's outside, isn't it?
Agreed. When I've measured it, the PM2.5 reading indoors is often similar to outdoors. The exception is when you filter the air, in which case the PM2.5 levels can rapidly be bought back down to sensible levels. A very easy countermeasure.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Air Quality Plummets in Bangkok, will Worsen on Friday, Saturday

by The Nation

January 24, 2023

The quality of air in 59 areas around Greater Bangkok fell to unsafe levels on Tuesday morning, reports from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) show.

PM2.5 (particles less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter) were in the range of 41-81 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3). Thailand’s standard for safe levels of PM2.5 is 50μg/m3 or lower, while the World Health Organisation puts it at 12μg/m3 or lower.

Exposure to fine dust particles can be dangerous for people with chronic respiratory problems and can cause eye, nose, throat and lung irritation as well as shortness of breath among others.

As of 7am, the top 10 most polluted districts in Bangkok were:

• Nong Khaem: 81μg/m3

• Khlong Sam Wa: 76μg/m3

• Prawet: 70μg/m3

• Lat Krabang: 70μg/m3

• Bang Khen: 69μg/m3

• Bueng Kum: 69μg/m3

• Don Muang: 68μg/m3

• Lak Si: 66μg/m3

• Minburi: 66μg/m3

• Bang Sue: 66μg/m3

The BMA has also warned people in Greater Bangkok to be prepared for air pollution readings to surge on Friday and Saturday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand ... l/40024287

Jun

Post by Jun »

Thailand has no interest in fixing the pollution, despite it happening every year.

So the choices are simple. Either accept it, or take countermeasures like filtering the air in your home or wearing a FFP2 mask when outside.
You can also measure it with a Mii PM2.5 meter which costs about 600 baht. Just to prove your filtering is effective.

I'm not sure what else there is to say about it.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong

Post by pong »

This comes from BKK-beside the river. Wind is blowing from north and yesterday-eve it was relatively pretty chilly in it. These measure points are spread out all over BMA-area, but most seem more aimed at those 6-8 lane major highways.
Now that I see this I must admit I have not really sensed any worse climate, except that chill/spell of cold.