Want to rent a motorbike in Thailand? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Want to rent a motorbike in Thailand? Read this

Post by Gaybutton »

My advice: Especially if you are in Thailand for a holiday, unless there is a genuine need, DO NOT rent a motorbike or a car. Use taxis and other means of transportation - and there is plenty in Thailand. Even those who have complied with all the rules, crossed every T and dotted every I, have still found themselves in real and very costly trouble - which of course would totally destroy one's holiday.

Don't forget, it's not just the police who can be the source of your troubles, but whoever rented out the vehicle can also be expert at running scams - and doing so in cahoots with certain members of the local constabulary is not unheard of either.

If you think it can't happen to you, think again.

Beware, Thai police checkpoint on-the-spot fines jumped to 1000 baht

by Peter Roche, Phuket News

January 18, 2023

Phuket-GO have received several messages in recent days about the number of foreigners being targeted by police for fines, usually in late morning checkpoints on busy west coast roads. And the fine appears to have increased too.

Whilst in the past the checks were mostly about wearing a bike helmet, lately, according to our sources, the checks are for legal motorbike licenses, which most foreigners don’t have. The fines are now, routinely, 1000 baht. In the past tourists going through checkpoints without a helmet or the correct license could usually expect an on-the-spot fine of 500 baht. Oh well, inflation…

These payments are all required in cash only. Exactly what happens to all the cash collected at these pre-lunch checkpoints is not clear.

To legally rent and ride a motorbike in Thailand you MUST have a Thai motorbike driving license, not a car driving license or a foreign car driving license. If you have a foreign motorbike license AND a current International Driving Permit you will be legal.

Apart from being the law, it also pertains to your insurance liability if you have an accident. Insurance will not cover you if you don’t have the proper license. If you have a bad accident, and end up in hospital, your insurance will not cover your hospital expenses.

Still, many foreigners hire motorbikes everyday, and the local rental shops happily rent them out – going price now is around 5000 baht per month, up from 2000 – 2,500 per month in the years before Covid. Again, inflation…

So, if you want to rent a motorcycle in Thailand…

• Make sure you have a Thai motorbike license or a foreign motorbike license and International Driving Permit.

• NEVER leave your passport with the rental shop as a guarantee, and never let your passport out of your site when they want to make a copy.

• If the shop offers insurance, check the details. Apart from costing you additional money, it’s probably not worth the paper it’s printed on.

• Take plenty of photos of the motorbike, from all angles, before you drive it out of the shop, and make sure the renter sees you taking the photos. There are many scams when damage on a motorbike, perhaps out of sight, will be blamed on YOU and your hire. Of course you end up paying inflated repair fees.

• If you’ve never driven a motorbike in your home country DON’T ride one for the first time in Thailand.

• Don’t get into an argument with Thai police. You will lose, and potentially end up in a whole lot more trouble. If you’ve been drinking and driving as well you’re in a whole new world of trouble and should contact your consulate, embassy or tourist police immediately.

https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuke ... 1000-baht/
Jun

Re: Want to rent a motorbike in Thailand? Read this

Post by Jun »

I didn't see any reference to medical insurance.

With UK insurers, if you ride a motorcycle and don't have a UK motorcycle license, you're not covered by travel insurance. Every time I'm in Thailand, getting a UK motorcycle license seems like a good idea.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:55 am I didn't see any reference to medical insurance
"Apart from being the law, it also pertains to your insurance liability if you have an accident. Insurance will not cover you if you don’t have the proper license. If you have a bad accident, and end up in hospital, your insurance will not cover your hospital expenses."
Jun

Post by Jun »

OK, so I didn't read that properly.

The other aspect is that Phuket seems to be the place to go to get scammed.
Taxi mafia
Suspicious PCR test failures and failure rates (back when that was an issue)
Excessive tea money for motorcycle offences
Jet ski scams
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:54 pm The other aspect is that Phuket seems to be the place to go to get scammed.
LOS used to mean Land of Smiles. Now it all too often means Land of Scams. Plenty of scams available in Thailand. The trick is not to fall for any of them.

In this one, it's very simple not to get scammed - just don't rent a motorbike. Let the Sunee Plaza motorbike maniacs do that.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton
Can you please tell me how the Cops are in cahoots with the bike renters as you say? Not heard of that one before.

The article states the obvious in many respects. Anyone “learning” to drive a bike in Thailand is nuts. We all know that you need an IDP as well as a full motor bike licence from your own country.

The rates quoted are NOT correct for Pattaya. I currently have a bike for 3000 baht per month and checked with a few renters before I took it on. All quoted the same for a small bike and 5000 for a larger one.

I have rented my bikes from the same lady for about 10 years and she always brings me a present when she delivers the bike to my condo.

So long as you drive it as if you were in a western country, drive it slowly, and always 100% sober you should not come to much harm.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:01 pm Gaybutton
Can you please tell me how the Cops are in cahoots with the bike renters as you say? Not heard of that one before.
I didn't say all cops. But some of these places have it all planned out with crooked cops. Just like the jet ski scams. You return the motorbike. The renter tells says you damaged the motorbike and demands money. You know you didn't cause anything, so you refuse to pay. Renter threatens to call the police. You call his bluff. He does call the police - but what you don't realize is he's not calling the police station, but you think he is. He's really calling a telephone number directly to the accomplice cop's mobile phone. Cop shows up quickly. Listens to both sides of the story. Says you are at fault and you have to either pay or be taken to jail.

Foreigners they are able to intimidate pay up for fear there will be trumped up charges and you'll find yourself in a major mess. Stories I've read say they try to take you for several thousand baht, but not more than you would likely be willing to pay to get out of it.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

gerefan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:01 pm
I have rented my bikes from the same lady for about 10 years and she always brings me a present when she delivers the bike to my condo.

So long as you drive it as if you were in a western country, drive it slowly, and always 100% sober you should not come to much harm.
Gerefan,

Would you mind to share with me the contact details of this lady from which you rent your motorbike?

One of the things that I did with my visa agent after my retiree visa was sorted out was to get a Thai motorbike driving license.

I have not yet rented one - as I have been afraid.

But, you wrote that the condo lady delivers it to your condo - which is VERY appealing to me because I want to practice driving it within the confines of my large condo complex before I venture out into the jungle LIVE streets of Jomtien.

Thanks,
M.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:44 pm I have not yet rented one - as I have been afraid.
I can't think of the name, but if they are still in business the motorbike rental place in Jomtien Complex has a reputation for honesty.

License or not, I would stick with taxis if I were you to be on the safe side. After you've lived here long enough to really know how everything works, maybe there won't be any problems.

In my opinion, you're actually better off buying one than renting one.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

BKKDreamer
See PM
Let me know if you haven’t received it.