Want to rent a motorbike in Thailand? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Want to rent a motorbike in Thailand? Read this

Post by Jun »

If you're unsure, rent for a while, then buy.
That's said as a matter of principle, since I don't have a license and don't ride one.

I notice quite a few of the hire bikes don't have ABS. Probably fine on dry roads at this time of year. If I were buying one, I'd want ABS.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Dumb question - what are ABS ?

And I am sure that you are not talking about the tortoise shape on your abdomens when we looked like characters from Bay Watch ?

And, I do not mind if the guy that I take home has some ABS that I can adore and play with in my bed :>))
Jun

Post by Jun »

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System. I suspect the acronym is derived from the German equivalent originally, which is Antiblockiersystem.

That's a fundamental safety system.

You will notice some bikes have wheel speed sensors, with a toothed wheel and wiring going to that area. That will probably be for the ABS. You could run the speedometer off the same signal, but a lot of bikes appear to have an old fashioned speedo drive cable. Which means the other sensor is for ABS, as there are very few useful things that can be done with wheel speed data.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 pm an old fashioned speedo drive cable. Which means the other sensor is for ABS
Speedos and abs. Sounds good to me . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

On the subject of ABS, I've just noticed if a motorcycle has the wheel speed sensors for ABS, it's usually a Yamaha and sometimes ABS is written on the bike.

I thought Honda had about 3/4 of the motorcycle market here, but I rarely see one of their bikes with ABS.

Meawhile, I was just looking into motorcycle hire and insurance. The first company I looked at mentioned 100, 000 baht of cover, with a 20,000 baht excess. So 80,000 baht.
Rather poor cover. What happens if you run into a sonething expensive, like a Bentley ?

[This is just preliminary research, just to see what's available if I take the trouble to get a motorcycle license]
Jun

Post by Jun »

Always wear a helmet, preferably a good full face helmet, as demonstrated here:
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Cheeky!