Bangkok metered taxi fares rise

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Bangkok metered taxi fares rise

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkok Taxi Fares to Start Rising from Today

by The Nation

January 16, 2023

Bangkok passengers can expect the cost of taxi rides to start rising from today as the new fare structure comes into effect.

The Transport Ministry updated Bangkok taxi fares with an announcement published in the Royal Gazette on Thursday.

However, fares will increase gradually as taxi drivers must first apply for meter adjustment and verification from the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

The DLT is offering this service to all Bangkok taxi drivers at Bang Sue Grand Station from January 16 to 28.

"The meter adjustment and verification are available at the station from Monday to Saturday from 8am to 5pm," said Piya Yoma, DLT Passenger Transport Bureau director.

The flag-fall for ordinary taxis remains at 35 baht but the fare for subsequent kilometres has been increased by 1 baht.

The new fares for metered taxis in Bangkok are as follows:

• 6.5 baht/km for kilometres 2-10

• 7 baht/km for kilometres 11-20

• 8 baht/km for kilometres 21-40

• 8.5 baht/km for kilometres 41-60

• 9 baht/km for kilometres 61-80 (unchanged)

• 10.50 baht/km for kilometres 81 and above (unchanged)

The charge for traffic congestion and when the vehicle travels at less than 6km/hour has been increased by 1 baht to 3 baht per minute.

Call taxis will cost an additional 20 baht in service fees, while taxis to and from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports will cost an additional 50 baht.

Also, the flag-fall for large cabs will rise to 40 baht.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand ... l/40024046
Jun

Re: Bangkok metered taxi fares rise

Post by Jun »

For comparison, it costs 52 baht from Suvarnabhumi to Sam Yan via the airport rail link and MRT.

Once in Bangkok, bus fares seem to start at about 8 baht or something like 12 baht on an aircon bus.

When in the City With the best public transport network in Thailand, I'm happy to use it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am For comparison, it costs 52 baht from Suvarnabhumi to Sam Yan via the airport rail link and MRT.
What about Bolt and Grab taxis? I assume they are much less expensive than the meter taxis and tuk-tuks. Do you, or anyone reading this, ever use them in Bangkok?

In Bangkok I prefer to get where I'm going on motorbike taxis. Not particularly expensive and the massive traffic is no problem for them to weave around and much quicker than other modes of transportation.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 am What about Bolt and Grab taxis? I assume they are much less expensive than the meter taxis and tuk-tuks. Do you, or anyone reading this, ever use them in Bangkok?
I only use Bolt and Grab where there isn't a proper public transport option that I understand. Therefore, I can't remember using it in Bangkok.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:08 amWhat about Bolt and Grab taxis? I assume they are much less expensive than the meter taxis and tuk-tuks. Do you, or anyone reading this, ever use them in Bangkok?
On the contrary, grab is more expensive than hailing a metered taxi. The simplest explanation is a 20 THB fee by grab. I use metered taxis regularly and on a few occasions I checked price on grab for comparison. Don't know about bolt.

Tuk-tuk are all expensive (I sometimes eavesdrop on tourists negotiate with drivers), let's say starting offer is 5 times what it would cost by taxi, can be brought down to 2 times, and less comfortable and safe.

Mocy taxi is indeed a way to get around quick and cheap for short distances. Most of their stations have popular destinations and prices displayed in Thai.
Jun

Post by Jun »

christianpfc wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:59 pmMocy taxi is indeed a way to get around quick and cheap for short distances. Most of their stations have popular destinations and prices displayed in Thai.
Having been alerted to these motorcycle price tables by Christian, it can be interesting to use Google lens on them. I rarely travel by such means, but if I do, understanding the fares is nice.

That's outside of Bangkok of course. Inside Bangkok, public transport and shanks' pony do just fine.
pong

Post by pong »

Taxi fares-my ride yesterday was still @ old price-driver explained he had to go to some office to have new meter calibrated or checked or whatever.
BKK-BMTA BUS fares: the color of the bus indicates the fare level-and there are in fact 5. There are also weekly and monthly seasons, but these are only valid on BMTA Govmt buses, which you will find extremely hard to distingish plus you need first to get a chipcard and then load it with the type you want at a Krung Thai ATM! (thats a govmt bank and BMTA is also govmt and not city!). Weekly for AC and normal is 200 THB. Some yrs ago-when there were also still many free buses, these were cards and could be bought at main stops-I had several then.
NON -AC buses have flat fares: 8 (red) or 10 (mini, orange, purple, white=private), plus 2 THB for expressway and 1,5 for nighttime.
AC buses go by distance: shortest is till 8 KM; 12 on blue+creme, 15 on orange or yellow or 15(short till 4 KM)/20/25 on the new all-blue, many of these are all-electric. So you have to explain conductress how far you go. In the very newest buses they now even have an innovation: board front door, where there is also a temp-check mast (from covid times), and tickets are printed on demand. In fact after many, many yrs of no new buses at all there is now a big influx of new all-blue, the latest are all-electric and not run by BMTA but 2 newly set up companies for that.
Many of these AC-routes run quite far out of centre-town, as far as some +30 KM and that may well take over 2 hrs in clogged up traffic, they tend to end in first major settlement just over official BMA-border.
Special and higher fares apply on the direct express buses to DMK (A1-A4) and Swampy (S1): 40 or 60 bt.
Besides the around 222 big bus lines all over BKK are also some 200 red songhthaew lines (fixed route, other as in PTY), mostly as soi-shuttles in big/main/long sois-these cost 7 bt. But also in narrow streets in overcrowded Chinatown. These can be small/medium/big size (small same as Pty).
The former free bus scheme has been replaced by the poor-peoples card, where low-income earners, who have registrated for this, get a monthly travel allowance, they can also use for 3d cl. trains and MRT (as thats also govmt), but not BTS=thats private and BMA. When thats used, they pay as normal.
Many of the BMTA bus garages also organise sunday outings in their best buses as excursions-cost around 200/250 bt for transport only+any entry or whatever. Plak-an for this can be seen in some buses hanging out.
Reduced fares are inaccessible for you: you need a Thai ID-or its for schoolkids on schooldays only when in uniform.
ANd yes-about any fixed moto-sy taxi stand has a list hanging out with prices-start from 20 bt for short, less as 1 KM. Longer and via main roads fares tend to be roughly same as taximeter in not too busy clogged up times-as they have to return empty all the time then to their stand. As a farang youd better double check on that before even attempting. As such these mostly aim to serve outer roads where no other regular transp comes-from nearby market or main bus stop.
Many yrs ago one could buy small booklets or maps with all info on BMTA-bus, but I´ve not seen any new ones since at least 2010. There is a site set up privately, but this is not updated since some 8-10 yrs too AND it only covers about half the regular buslines.
There is now also yet again a new bus-line renumber scheme whit 2 sets of figures, where 1-4 as first indicates what wind-direction district the route runs in/goes to. A few former such schemes have been cancelled after a few monhtes. Strangely and also other as in most main towns the bus network is not really reorganised or adapted to newly opened MRT/rail lines, as there is also no fare-coöperation whatsoever. Even in KUL/MY or HCMC/VN they are able to organise that.