Massage Shops Thread

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Massage Shops Thread

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:10 pm Just down the road, Somjit charge 300 for an hour's oil massage, which seems to be the going rate in Pattaya.
I'd like someone to explain to me why the same thing is so much more expensive in Bangkok.
Montree

Post by Montree »

I'll try Somjit and report back (It's a tough job but someone's got to do it).
Like others I've been disappponted at Relax@Me but I'll give it a go as I've not been since before the pandemic. Perhaps they've finally fixed the shower.
I can confirm that Royal House is shut.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 pm I'd like someone to explain to me why the same thing is so much more expensive in Bangkok.
500 is common in Bangkok, at least at the normal massage shops. So 67% more than Pattaya.

The Bangkok bars can also cost more, with beer costing about 130 on Soi4, compared with 80~100 in Jomtien and Jomtien has the advantage of having a guaranteed presence of cute Asian lads.

Gogo bars are also more expensive in Bangkok and boys tip expectations seem higher too.

Explaining it is more difficult.
You could argue rents are higher in Bangkok, but prices at lots of other businesses including coffee shops, restaurants, convenience stores, other retailers and pharmacies are the same as in Pattaya. So I don’t think it's that.

My hypothesis is the higher prices reflect what the market will accept, with or without some collusion on those prices.
I've no idea if that's the right answer.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 pm 500 is common in Bangkok, at least at the normal massage shops.
Yes, but I should have said I was talking more about those mandated tips in Bangkok massage shops.

I have no problem at all about tipping. But I don't appreciate a venue demanding that I tip a certain amount, or more. I have the same objection to restaurant "service charge". Service charge? And am I supposed to tip beyond that?

I want to be the one to control how much I'll tip and for me, the tip amount I'll give is largely based on the quality of the service. I suppose these service charges were put in place because too many people under-tipped or didn't tip at all.

I tolerate the service charge if it is a restaurant I really like, but unless the service is particularly outstanding, I don't tip beyond the service charge. When I do tip in those kinds of restaurants, I make sure to tip in cash and give it directly to the waiter - or whoever it was that provided the outstanding service. Sometimes the joke is on them - if the service charge turns out to be less than I would have tipped without that charge.

However, when it comes to massage shops that tell me I have to tip a certain amount, or more, regardless of the quality of the service, forget it. I'll live without their massage.

It reminds me of my uncle, who was kind of a cheapskate, but always made me laugh. One time the whole family - uncles, aunts, cousins - we all were gathered at my house. If I remember correctly it was a Thanksgiving. That was back in the days when the husband controlled all the money. His wife was complaining there was something she wanted to buy, but he wouldn't give her the money.

He said, "You've lived without it for 67 years. What the hell do you need with it now?"

His jokes always made me laugh too: "Four gay guys were in a swimming pool. The fifth one was about to dive in when he spotted a condom floating on the surface. He put his hands on his hips, looked the others, and said, "Alright! Who farted?"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:06 am Yes, but I should have said I was talking more about those mandated tips in Bangkok massage shops.

I have no problem at all about tipping. But I don't appreciate a venue demanding that I tip a certain amount, or more. I have the same objection to restaurant "service charge". Service charge? And am I supposed to tip beyond that?
Fortunately the type of shop with mandatory minimum tips isn't the type of place I want to go to anyway, usually due to the wrong type of boy.

Service charges are idiotic. If compulsory, it should be added to the prices.
Some hide it at the bottom of the menu. One offender is The Coffee Club. Who ever heard of a service charge for coffee ?
Fortunately there are some far better independent coffee shops around.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 am
Service charges are idiotic. If compulsory, it should be added to the prices.
Some hide it at the bottom of the menu. One offender is The Coffee Club. Who ever heard of a service charge for coffee ?
I bought one beer at London Gatwick Airport last year. The bast*ards added 10% service charge to the bill making it the most expensive beer I have ever bought in the UK at nearly £8!
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

I paid the equivalent of £13.00 for a beer at Changi airport! No service charge needed!
pong

Post by pong »

There ARE a very few msg shops in BKK that charge 300 for 1 hr oil, but in general those are far,far away in very low-rent houses and often quite simple/basic if not neglected in furniture. But there are even the odd m2m dedicated msg shop in Sapan kwai/Suttisarn that charges 400 for it (yes, such a shop with stated MIN tip and also pix that show stats of the staff, incl also T/B and some specific size). You can expect that it will be expected you want more as that msg. By now 90-95% of the guys there are Lao or Khmer, + some Burmese. I have till now been very satisfied with their offerings. A better one asks now for 550/hr, but has a generous savings-card that gives 20% off in 5 turns and also often has special offers.
The reason should not surprise: rent and cost of real estate and general higher cost of living here (allthough that is very relative-as this city also still abounds with very cheap offers in about anything a living person would want-and they can thrive as there is such a huge population).
Very cheapest rates I have seen announced is 100 bt/hr for Thai-but on the street in an area where the homeless abound.
In the back side of a rundown basic shopping centre in Bangkapi were a crowd of elder ladies offering msg for 150/Thai and I think 250 or 300 for oil, by those who would offer it (some time ago, could have gone up). I assume there will be more of such in other areas of suburban BKK.
pong

Post by pong »

Dear khun lung GB-the this forum is back and working again-it went smoothly just a few mins ago for me. So now I just hope that no nasty trojans/hacks or whatever may still be hidden and now come in the clouds of this chromebook.
Having just arrived after so many yrs in Pty by the sea, Jomtien, yesterday, to test it out if it may be a good choice for later, till now my impression is not overwhelming positive-in general.
On this subject-yes, around here in Jomtien and the few I saw this afternoon around Tuk.com all charge 300/hr for oil-except the one in Boyztown (Paradise?_which just had 1 effeminate lad there). Having used one I think the reason of the lower price here is daft simple: avoid those rooms, if you stay in a nice HTL around here anyway like I do now, take the guy to there. Even the lower priced local such shops in BKK that charge lower prices offer better ´rooms´-cleaner, more facilities etc. But then I general I would now like to add that the normal daily expense for how I tend to live here in TH is way lower in BKK as in Pty. Except the prices in the 7 of course-but then a fancy 7 with even seats and higher food service just by the beach has far, far fewer items in stock and lacking a lot of those I often buy.
On the subject: it also seems the try-out of Paradise in Jmtn/supertown has already gone belly up-place as seen on maps is empty, but not for sale/rent.
Mason45

Post by Mason45 »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 am Another excellent massage at Somjit. The standards here are really good, with high quality massage, good extras and more or less lasting the advertised duration.
One of the few massage shops remaining near Tuk Com.

Others include Relax at Me, which I rarely visit, due to inevitable disappointment and Helios, which I haven't yet visited.

The one around the corner from Salt & Pepper has closed. Totally predictable, with better competition nearby.
Royal House appears to be closed

There is one more still open, usually with one older guy working there
The two new shops in the area have female staff.
Jun, Which massage has the older guy working there? Thanks.