Bar Manager in The Complex asking questions

Anything and everything about Thailand
PK82

Re: Bar Manager in The Complex asking questions

Post by PK82 »

I see what you mean and totally agree. I'm half Thai and I've done the "boy* thing myself . Not shy to say it too and over the years I've come to find not only as a former " boy" but as a manager as well that my English is what separates me from the crowd. Thing is it's hard to find Thai boys like that so bars are forced to hire ones who can't speak a word, the idea and hope is they'll learn along the way but that takes time. Anyways I agree and thank for the tip 🙏
PK82

Post by PK82 »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:58 am How about having the boys remove their shirts? That alone would attract many, including me.

At many bars I see the boys paying more attention to their mobile phones than anything else. That definitely is a turn off. The boys should be trying to entice customers and should be giving customers their full attention. If they want to play with their phones, they should be doing that on their own time, not while they are supposed to be working.

I've been to bars in the complex where the boys are all seated at the entrance, busy chatting with each other or playing with their phones - and paying no attention to customers sitting behind them in the bar. I couldn't even get their attention to order a drink. Not a good way to attract customers or get them to spend any time in the bar.

You might try offering promotions and putting up signs so people see what is being offered. "Today Only - Whiskey Drinks Half Price" or something like that. Maybe loyalty cards - 10th drink free. Maybe a bucket full of colored plastic chips - reach in and draw a chip. If you get a red chip, free off.

The point is to do a few different things that will entice people to go to your bar rather than another bar. Make it more fun to be in your bar than other bars.

Ok folks - for years I've been trying to convince bar owners and managers to start listening to us. Now we finally have a bar manager ready to do just that. Please - give him your ideas. What will it take to get you into Coqtales, get you to want to spend your evening there, and get you to keep coming back as a repeat customer?
To be honest I think taking off the shirts is a great idea IF we had "real boys" at the moment we have the girly type (and me 🤣) and I feel I want to respect them and have them leave their shirts on. I get a hunch they don't really like that type off thing .

We've also jist started a happy hour thingy from 5pm-7:30 buy 2 get one free. That's been slowly getting better. There's not much of an early crowd in the complex at those times but hey, getting a few in is better than nothing.

Your idea of making it fun is cool. I've been trying to think of something but can't lol. Years ago at The Bondi I was night manager and we had Bingo nights and that was really freaking successful haha . Now they do it at @home bar with Zach so I don't want to step on his toes. But something similar like quiz night maybe ? What do you think ?
PK82

Post by PK82 »

windwalker wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:48 am I enjoy a glass of wine at a bar; but not a skimpy one! In Boyztown one bar offers a Happy Hour up to 8 pm at 90 Baht which is a draw for me. Perhaps a similar enticement would be helpful in the early evening.
Thanks for asking, next time I will give Coqtales a try as it is next to a favorite bar.
Hey thanks for your comment 😃 I've just started a happy hour thing at our place from 5pm - 7:30 buy one get one free. Come on down and have a chat. I'm a pretty cool dude haha. Happy New Year by the way 🙏
PK82

Post by PK82 »

Jun wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:54 am What gets me into Jomtien bars:
Cute smiling boys of the type I like (skinny, cute, no moustache). Although there are exceptions
Reasonable or low noise levels

What keeps me away from bars
Ladyboys screeching away on a stage
Excessive noise levels, even if from a nearby bar
Pushy staff (e.g at Zoomer)
Oh man , the noise level down at the far end of the soi is is like a rock concert in hell haha. I totally agree with you on that one.

Ironically I was just having a conversation with a friend about the Cabaret shows and he had said he doesn't come out to see titts and skirts 😂 if there was a place that had shows by the boys that would be different . What kind of shows I have no idea, but something fun rather than lip synching to a Lady Gaga song would be nice lol.

We've got the usual prices for The Complex. So pretty affordable. Come down sometime I'm looking to make some new friends at the bar !
PK82

Post by PK82 »

gerefan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:58 pm What about reducing the price of boy drinks?

I know one bar near you that charges 100 baht for my Singha beer and 160 for the same boy drink. That seems to be too much.

Whilst I don’t mind buying them drinks that extra 60 baht is very off putting and sometimes stops me buying any more.

Maybe an early “Happy hour” with drink prices reduced for customers AND boys.

I too agree about the so called “music”. The noise is hideous and if I’m out for a drink with boys, or friends, I far prefer a cozy atmosphere.

None of that “entertainment” thank you.
The boy drinks at my place are 150. The extra 50 baht goes to the boy at the end of the night so if you get him 2 he'll get paid 100 at the end of the night. To be honest it's a key way of making money for them so that's why they can be so pushy. It's a turn off, I know but it's what they have to do.

Maybe introducing a new system would be worth looking into. Any suggestions? Thanks for your comment and happy new year
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

PK82 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:34 am The boy drinks at my place are 150. The extra 50 baht goes to the boy at the end of the night so if you get him 2 he'll get paid 100 at the end of the night. To be honest it's a key way of making money for them so that's why they can be so pushy. It's a turn off, I know but it's what they have to do.
Some things can't be helped, but at least can be explained. Many who are asked to buy "Drink for boy" have no idea the boy gets part of that. Why not just put some sort of notice on the tables that explains the boy gets 50 baht for each "Drink for boy". Now the customer knows why "Drink for boy" is more expensive than his own drink.

Out of the suggestions and ideas posted so far, which ones are you are seriously considering trying?
Jun

Post by Jun »

I think most customers can figure out the extra for the boy drink is at least partially for the boy. From our enquiries, it seems they usually get 50-60 baht per drink in Jomtien. Plus customer tips.

In at least some cases, the boys are freelance, so that's all they get.

With the traditional check bin system, any customer will know what the cost is when the first slip arrives. With the electronic system used at some bars, the bill doesn't appear until the end, so I guess some inexperienced customers might get a surprise there.

Most customers drink with other customers only.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:27 am Most customers drink with other customers only.
Where are you getting that from? In go-go bars that might happen while they're watching the boys, but other than that I always see customers having a drink with a boy. I only see them having a drink with each other when they arrive with each other, but if one or both becomes interested in the boys, now they drink with the boy.

That is what I always do. Speaking only for myself, when I go to the bars it's not because I want to drink with farang. I'll let you guess for yourself who I do go to drink with . . .

I also make no assumptions about what customers can and cannot figure out. I've seen too many who can't figure out to give a tip of more than 20 baht to a boy they've called over - and sometimes not understanding or just too much of a cheapskate to give the boy a tip at all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:05 pmWhere are you getting that from? In go-go bars that might happen while they're watching the boys
I've been visiting bars fairly frequently in the last few weeks, so have had plenty of opportunity to observe who customers sit with.
I'm not sure how often you're visiting bars these days, but if you would like to join me for a drink in Jomtien, we'll do a count. If over 50% of customers are sat with a boy, I'll pay for the drinks.

As for gogo bars, well I referred to "most customers" and most farang customers don't spend much time in those these days. At least in Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 pm I've been visiting bars fairly frequently in the last few weeks, so have had plenty of opportunity to observe who customers sit with.
All right. Don't have a conniption fit. Since you're talking about the past few weeks, I'll take your word for it.

Now, back to the topic and let's stick with the topic. This one is too important to start going off on tangents.