Bar Manager in The Complex asking questions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bar Manager in The Complex asking questions

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:54 pm It was truly unfortunate and in my opinion, a great loss for the Coqtale bar.
I hope he finds a job at a bar where the management has better sense.

Now I hope nobody goes to Coqtale, but lets it be known to the management that cancellation of the happy hour and Paul leaving the bar are the reasons. Re-establish the happy hour and bring Paul back - with a raise, get rid of the current manager, and customers are likely to come flocking back.

I am now moving this topic off "Announcements", but it will still be on the board as a standard topic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A "happy hour" makes perfect sense for the customers.

However, if we cut the gross margin on a beer from 60 baht to 15 baht by selling it at half price, the bar needs to sell 4 times as much. (Estimate, based on 30 baht wholesale cost and 90 full retail price)

Or shift more full price drinks after happy hour or other high margin products during happy hour.

How the finances actually looked is a big question, so I will not comment on that.

However, it's also important for bar owners to treat bar management with respect and communicate in the right way. Which appears not to have happened here. Surely the correct way would be to discuss the results, rather than just remove the sign ?
pong

Post by pong »

Lower the volume of music etc.
Play some Thai music every now and then in between.
On happy hr: do not lower all prices, simple only in those times offer some special drinks that look very fancy but are actually easy to make and fairly cheap in cost. Or offer some extra freebees like fingerfoods or the like-we all know food in general is dirt-cheap here in TH.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:25 pm Play some Thai music every now and then in between.
The reason they don't do that is because they have to pay some sort of tax when playing Thai music. There is no tax for playing non-Thai music.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here's a picture of a nice bar/restaurant in Luang Prabang.

Stylish, tasteful BACKGROUND music and handsome staff. Whilst it's not a gay bar, it was doing a very good impression of being one.
I think anyone replicating this in Pattaya would do well, although they might have to move away from the main Jomtien bar street to ensure no noise pollution from neighbouring bars.

To fe fair, noise levels in Jomtien are often reasonable earlier in the evening. I just wish this were consistent.
Even with the noise, Jomtien is by some margin the best gay bar area in Thailand, at least for me.

Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Jun … had to laugh … noted the painting of THE LAST SUPPER on the back wall.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:18 pm noted the painting of THE LAST SUPPER on the back wall
I'll forgive them one error.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:09 pm
I hope he finds a job at a bar where the management has better sense.
I am happy to report that Paul has in fact found a GREAT new job over near Walking Street in Pattaya.
Sad for us in the Jomtien Supertown Complex - as I truly loved hanging out with Paul there.

I share with you my backstory on how I came to know Paul. I accidentally met Paul due to a mistake that the webmaster of the Supertown Twitter feed made. He posted that at 10pm the guys at the Dorothy Showbar would be taking off their shirts to have their torsos nude. So, I arrived at 9:30pm and ordered some beers patiently waiting for 10pm. When 10pm passed - I tapped the worker who was sitting next to me and said, hey, you need to take your t-shirt off. He looked strangely at me and said, I am not taking my t-shirt off. I showed him the Supertown Twitter feed stating otherwise and he said to me, well the owner of Dorothy's did not tell me this and he is now in Vietnam and we will not be taking our shirts off here. That was the beginning of our friendship thanks to this Twitter feed error.
In actuality, that Twitter feed announcement was supposed to be for the next door bar, Double Shot, where they do take their shirts off at 10pm. Anyway, I am happy that they made this mistake as it helped to blossom a nice new friendship for me with Paul.

Paul is now the new manager of the new Greenhead dispensary over near Walking Street - on South Pattaya Road.
Right where Beach Road ends and then South Pattaya Road starts on the right hand side is the Greenhead dispensary.
It has 3 floors - where on the ground floor you can buy the product, on the second floor you can chill and relax, and on the third floor - outside is their new bar lounge.
I will go tonight to see it and report back any further findings.

I don't smoke that stuff but I am curious none the less to see his new workplace.

Cheers,
M.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

170 baht for a boydrink in a small beerbar is ridiculous.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 pm 170 baht for a boydrink in a small beerbar is ridiculous.
I hope at least you are informed of the price before ordering. If it were me, if I was informed, but still chose to buy the drink, then that's my problem. But if I was surprised by a high price without first being informed, I would not argue about it, but I would never set foot in that bar again.

Even though many bars have always charged more for "boy drink", I have never really understood that. Someone would have to convince me that "boy drink" should cost any more than my own drink. The way I see it, I'm paying for the drink itself, not paying for who is drinking it.