Carry your passport or good photocopy

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Carry your passport or good photocopy

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, several days ago there were news reports of a crackdown going on as immigration is trying to catch people overstaying their visas. That has not stopped and has actually been escalating.

If you are stopped you will need to either show your passport or a good photocopy of the main page and your current visa page. I understand that photos of those on your smartphone will also be accepted.

If you are caught carrying neither of those, expect to be arrested, fined, and later having to prove you are not overstaying.

If you are overstaying, I suggest voluntarily reporting to immigration immediately or leaving Thailand immediately. The consequences are far less severe than being caught in a random check. I have no idea if they can help, but you also might try consulting one of the visa agencies to see if there is anything they can do.

If you are carrying the proper documentation and your visa is still valid, no problem. Whatever you do, DON'T overstay your visa. It won't matter what kind of excuse you try to give them. It won't be accepted.

I like this part of the article:

(the crackdown)
is aimed at ensuring safety for the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holidays
Perhaps someone can explain to me how catching overstayers ensures safety. While overstayers are technical criminals, I didn't know they are jeopardizing our safety. If that really is the true motivation for this crackdown, it earns a spot on my "I Don't Get It" list.
________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Immigration continues overstaying crackdown, passport checks take place across Pattaya

By Adam Judd

6 December, 2022

The Royal Thai Immigration has been currently conducting an overstaying crackdown across Thailand dubbed Operation X-ray in some areas and Pattaya is not exempt.

TPN media has reported of multiple overstay arrests and actions taking place across Thailand over the past few days from small overstays to much longer overstays caught.

The campaign is officially running from December 1st to December 10th and is aimed at ensuring safety for the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Royal Thai Immigration has also recently warned this was coming, essentially telling those on overstay that if they came in to speak with them and sort the situation out in person they would avoid being arrested and being on the news.

That being said, based on daily reports of arrests of those on overstay it seems many were hoping to lay low or avoid Immigration, yet are still being found. Not only is Royal Thai Immigration using records of those known to be on overstay and still in the country but documentation checks are also taking place.

For example, last night, December 5th, many TPN readers reported Immigration agents in the popular Treetown entertainment complex during the World Cup games asking patrons to provide proof of their legal status in the country. Copies of one’s passport and stamp, even on a phone, were being accepted but for those unlucky enough to not have any proof on them they were subject to further actions and checks.

Meanwhile, near daily raids on bars and nightclubs in Pattaya have also taken place with patrons being asked to produce their passport and stamp or a copy.

For now, the overstay crackdown is continuing and Immigration has reminded all tourists and expats to have proof of their legal status in the Kingdom at all times. As stated, copies are accepted.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/06/t ... s-pattaya/
Gaybutton

Re: Carry your passport or good photocopy

Post by Gaybutton »

Do you believe this guy's story? I don't. It makes no sense when he could easily have gotten extensions and/or done visa runs. If I am correct, I wonder what his real reason for trying to overstay was - and what he was planning to use for money.

Either way, again do not overstay your visa.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11016&p=109103#p109103
___________________________________________________________________________________________

British tourist arrested for overstaying in Sisaket, says he loves Thailand so much he doesn’t want to leave

By Adam Judd

7 December, 2022

A British tourist was arrested in Sisaket after overstaying his visa for two months. The tourist confessed his affection for Thailand to immigration officers, saying he loved the country so much he did not want to leave.

The 30-year-old British man, Mr. Michael Mclaughlin, was stopped by Sisaket Provincial Immigration Police while walking on a road in the Nong Phai subdistrict of Mueang district Tuesday, December 6th. The immigration officers told local media that they tracked Mclaughlin through their database and found that his visa had been expired since September 21st, 2022.

The British tourist was taken to the Sisaket immigration office. During his questioning, Mclaughlin admitted that he knew he should have left Thailand last September, but he loved the country so much that he did not want to.

Despite his affection for Thailand, Sisaket immigration officers had to charge the man for overstaying his visa for 75 days. The officers then transferred him to the Sisaket Mueang police station to proceed with legal action. According to the Immigration Act, the man could be fined from 500 to 20,000 baht and banned from entering Thailand for five years.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/12/07/brit ... -to-leave/
Gaybutton

Re: Carry your passport or good photocopy

Post by Gaybutton »

I am reading news items that in Pattaya the police are still raiding entertainment venues and checking passports and doing random drug tests. I hope none of you are stupid enough to be doing illegal drugs, but if you are checked you will have to produce either your passport or a good, clear photocopy of the face page and current visa page. The police are also accepting clear photos stored on smartphones. But make sure you have something to show them if you find yourself caught up in any of these raids.

The police are not playing games about this and it won't end well for you if you can't show documentation or try to tell them your information is in your hotel room.