Thai Drivers License Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Thai Drivers License Update

Post by Dodger »

Based on a recommendation that GB made back in June (I believe) regarding obtaining or renewing a Thai Drivers License I'd like to provide the following update:

Faced with the option of trying to navigate through all the hoops to renew my car drivers license - or - use the services of M-O-T-S Service as GB recommended I can tell you that I wish I knew about this service years ago. If I did I would have never gone through all the hassle myself. Here's the process:

1) I visited M-O-T-S office (location below) and provided them with a copy of my Passport, Current Visa, Condo Papers, and 2 passport-size photo's. They handled everything else after that.

2) They scheduled me for a second visit to their office a few days later - where they then drove me to the Land Transport Office/Banglamung to make the appointment for my license renewal. We were finished in 2 minutes and on our way back to Pattaya.

3) M-O-T-S then drove me back to Banglamung a week later on my scheduled date. There was no need to arrive early or wait in any lines. I was simply instructed to take a chair near the back of the outdoor section where a hundred other people were sitting in queue, and 2 minutes later (no exaggeration) the girl at the table in front of this mob called my name - handed me back my documents (which M-O-T-S had already provided them) - had me sign a form - and then motioned for me to follow the M-O-T-S representative inside the building. No early arrival - no waiting - real VIP service.

3) Once inside the building I was led upstairs (no queue - no line - no nothing) and ushered into a classroom filled with farang where they were showing the training video. The M-O-T-S Rep (who stayed with me through the whole process) just told me to take a seat in the rear of the room, and that I didn't have to watch the video or take any test because that was already done for me. I was in heaven.

4) After the training class concluded the other farang went one direction and I was ushered into the eye exam area. The eye test, which has been simplified from years-gone-by, took all of 2 minutes.

5) The M-O-T-S Rep. then motioned me to the front of a line where people where paying for the licenses fees (500 THB for car renewal) and I was instructed to go back outside - find a chair - and wait for my name to be called again to take the photo and get my new license. I know I sound like a broken record, but this also took all of 2 minutes...and that was that!

I know this may sound like a lot to some people - but if you've ever been through this process before believe me this was a dream.

I've been through the license renewal process (car and motorbike) several times over the years and won't ever do it again without using a service like this. Just too easy, and who needs the headaches?

M-O-T-S fee for a car drivers license renewal was 3,000 THB.

GB - Your advice on this is greatly appreciated.

M-O-T-S Services
Soi Khaotalo, South Pattaya
(Sukumvit Rd. - first traffic light before Threprasit Road if you're heading North)
Phone: 082-480-0041
Gaybutton

Re: Thai Drivers License Update

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I have always done the driving license myself, but MOTS makes it so easy, when it comes time for me to renew, which for me will be in 2026 (if I'm still alive), I'm planning to use MOTS rather than going through it myself.

How much was the total cost for you? Did the 3000 baht MOTS charges cover the entire thing or did you have to pay anything more? Also, do you think it is appropriate to tip the MOTS agent once you have your license?

You said you handed over two passport photos. Did you need them? The license is a photo ID, and they take the photo when preparing your license. What was the reason for the passport photos?

Also, you did not mention the medical certificate. Did you need that? Even if you do need it (I needed it when I did my renewal on my own), you can get it at any street clinic. If you're moving and breathing, believe me you'll get the certificate. If I remember correctly, the street clinic where I went charged 100 baht for it. I never even saw a doctor. The desk clerk girls checked my temperature, checked my pulse rate, asked a couple inane questions, and handed over the certificate. I'll also never forget the time before that - I walked into a different street clinic, told the desk clerk why I was there, and for 50 baht she simply handed over the certificate - no checks of any kind. I was in and out in about 30 seconds.

In other words, those of you who need it, the certificate won't be a problem. I'm guessing your body could be on its way to your funeral, but a stop at one of the street clinics would still get you the certificate . . .

By the way, when I did my last renewal I did it on my own. I was incredibly lucky. It was a pain, but I got my renewal. The very next day the driving license office closed because of Covid and it was months before they reopened.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Thanks for your information. I let my driving license lapse (broken hip and not able to renew it the time it was due).

Did you have to do the reaction test - i.e., watch the lights device and stamp on the brake pedal when it went from green to red? It is now over a year since my license expired and I think I may soon be able to do pass that test - the reason for my continued delay.

I am planning on using M O T s service when I do renew, they charge a bit extra for renewing an expired license and since it has been more than one year, I will probably have to do the written test (over 3 years and you have to do practical driving test as well).

Based on your report, it confirms my decision to use their service. Thanks again.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:22 am Did you have to do the reaction test - i.e., watch the lights device and stamp on the brake pedal when it went from green to red?
Of course you never know if and when the rules might change, but if it helps anything, when I did my renewal the only tests I and the other farang who were there had to do was the vision test. We did not have to do a reaction test.

In your case I would explain my situation to MOTS. For sure they will know what kinds of tests and requirements you will have to fulfill.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Hi Dodger,

What you wrote about your M-O-T-S experience was more or less my experience. I did it in October 2022.
I had to get a motorcycle driving license from scratch as I only had a car driving license prior.

The only difference in my case is that M-O-T-S had to drive me to a driving school in Si Racha, so that I could do the reaction test and say that I was approved by that driving school in Si Racha. The only problem was that there was one part of the reaction test that I could not complete - we did it 4 times together and I failed each time until on the 5th try the lady working the machine helped me through it. It is the part where you need to align from left and right a horizontal bar. With the joy stick control - I just could not manage. I was never any good with any video games where a joy stick was required - so perhaps that is the reason. Also, they could not explain to me in an English that I could properly understand what was the true objective - so they took pity on me and got me through it.

Anyway, I used the M-O-T-S services for my retirement visa, motorcycle driving license, and to open a Thai bank account. Their services were optimal and excellent. I will use them again to get my existing car driving license converted into a Thai car driving license - probably next month. I have the IDP, which is valid for 1 year so there is no rush.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Answers to a few of your questions:

The total cost to me was 3,000 THB for a Car Drivers License Renewal.

I provided my own Medical Certificate. I'm not sure if their service includes getting this for you or not, but it was so easy for me I just went ahead and got one at my local clinic (100 THB).

Yes, MOTS requests a recent passport-size photo which they use to obtain your Residency Certificate from Immigration. I gave them 2 photos just to be safe.

The eye exam still requires the reaction test (where you stomp on a pedal when a light flashes "green"), although the depth perception test ()where you have to stomp on a pedal when two white posts align with each other) has been eliminated. Just to give you an idea, they tested 8 people in less than a minute this time. Much faster than in the past. The guy in front of me failed
the reaction test 3 times and they kept letting him retake it until he passed. I hope he has insurance... :lol:

I tipped the MOTS driver 200 THB, but the other two farang customers who rode along in the same car did not. To each his own.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:54 am The guy in front of me failed the reaction test 3 times and they kept letting him retake it until he passed. I hope he has insurance... :lol:
hahahaha - that was ME - but in my case they helped me for the 5th try - the first 4 times I failed - I easily passed all of the other parts of the reaction test - color identification, stomping on the break when the light was red - I just could not understand what to do during the depth perception test with the joy stick contraption - as nobody could explain the concept to me in English - plus we do not have such a test that uses a joystick in ALL of the other countries where I have lived where I acquired a driving license (USA - 2 different states, Italy, and Hungary). And I have been driving since I was 17, 1978 and in all of these 44 years I have only had 1 SINGLE accident - and YES, I had insurance - always.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:54 am Answers to a few of your questions:

The total cost to me was 3,000 THB for a Car Drivers License Renewal.

I provided my own Medical Certificate. I'm not sure if their service includes getting this for you or not, but it was so easy for me I just went ahead and got one at my local clinic (100 THB).

Yes, MOTS requests a recent passport-size photo which they use to obtain your Residency Certificate from Immigration. I gave them 2 photos just to be safe.
It is my understanding they can also obtain the medical certificate. As to the photos, two are required for the Residency Certificate - Immigration retains one with the application and affixes the other to the Certificate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:14 pm It is my understanding they can also obtain the medical certificate.
But why? As I said, any street clinic can issue it and nothing could be easier. Unless there is some necessity, I don't know why anyone would want to bother MOTS with it.

The residence certificate is another reason to use MOTS. Getting it on your own requires two trips to immigration - the first is to apply for it and present the necessary paperwork. The second is to pick it up.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:08 pm
2lz2p wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:14 pm It is my understanding they can also obtain the medical certificate.
But why? As I said, any street clinic can issue it and nothing could be easier. Unless there is some necessity, I don't know why anyone would want to bother MOTS with it.

The residence certificate is another reason to use MOTS. Getting it on your own requires two trips to immigration - the first is to apply for it and present the necessary paperwork. The second is to pick it up.
As to Medical Certificate, if it is included in their package price, why not? Likewise, the Residence Certificate being part of the fee they charge - let them do the running around. As to the Residence Certificate, the few times I needed one, I only had to make one trip with about a 20 minute wait to pick it up - but that has been over 5 years ago, so things may have changed.