Passport Control Express Lane

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Passport Control Express Lane

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:43 am
pong wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 am This trip arr Swampy 2 days ago: in a AB380
I am guessing that, in itself, might account for some of the problems. So many people arriving at the same time, especially if more than one 380 arrives at about the same time - and the airports just are not prepared to efficiently deal with that many people all at once.
I'm sure that's a factor.

Pre-covid, I recall arriving on the EVA flight from London and after leaving my Premium Economy seat, I would walk to immigration as fast as I could, passing people off my own plane, plus beating other near simultaneous arrivals, including the Thai flight from London (777?) and an A380 starting to unload. I would get to a reasonable immigration queue, whilst a few minutes later they would be queuing down the ramps.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Jun wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:07 pm On another forum, a member reports recently arriving off an EVA flight and going straight through immigration with no queue.
So I imagine he had plenty of time to admire the baggage carousel.
I think that was me. I now travel only with carry on luggage, so was able to go straight to ground transport. As I was in business class I can take a bigger carry on case!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:07 pm On another forum, a member reports
In case you did not realize, whenever you are talking about a post on another forum, I have no problem telling us the name of the forum, the screen name of the poster, and providing a link to the post. I have never had any objections to that. Of course, if you are posting this way because that is how you prefer to post, that's fine too.

In other words, "up to you".
Jun

Post by Jun »

A 1 hour wait for passport control to leave Thailand at Suvarnabhumi, as only half the counters were open
Many jumping the queue, mostly Russian. Total chaos until an American guy insisted they put a security guard there, with the support of a few more of us.

Leave plenty of time.

The e-passport gates are Thai only.
In the UK, the e-passport gates are good for about 40 countries.

I think there was no queue at all at DMK last month.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:46 am A 1 hour wait for passport control to leave Thailand at Suvarnabhumi
Does that mean your holiday in Thailand is now over and you are headed back to the UK? If so, when do you think you will return to Thailand?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:06 pm Does that mean your holiday in Thailand is now over and you are headed back to the UK? If so, when do you think you will return to Thailand?
Yes. My holiday is over.

I expect to be back in late November or early December.

In the past, I've typically gone on shorter European holidays in the summer. Whilst I don't rule out a shorter summer break in Thailand, it's not happened yet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It will be interesting to compare your reports when you return to your recent reports. We'll see how much changes and remains the same between now and your return.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:31 pmWe'll see how much changes and remains the same between now and your return.
I'm hoping and expecting there will be fewer changes between now and the next trip than in recent years.

When I left in February 2020, I just took a direct flight to London, in Premium Economy, at a reasonable price.

When I returned in December 2020, there were no direct flights. It needed 15 nights quarantine and piles of paperwork. I briefly managed to visit gogo bars in Bangkok and Pattaya, before they were closed. Fresh Boys had a nice selection, in nice thin underwear. Policed so that most were wearing just the one layer. That was the last time I've been a customer in a Bangkok gogo bar.

In November 21, there was a requirement for a single night's quarantine. There were some restrictions on bars and vague rules on travel. Good discounts on some hotels. Lots of businesses have closed permanently, although the ones I use regularly have all survived.

In December 2022, things were getting back towards normal. Direct flights from London. Easy travel to Thailand's neighbours. Gogo bars open.
Jomtien is Thriving.

As for Nov/Dec 23, what changes do you expect ?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

There are two Express Lanes at Swampy, one for departing passengers and one for arriving passengers. The express lane for departing passengers is to the rear of Thai Airways .
As for arriving passengers, for me from the USA, the express lane is on the left side as one walks toward the Arrivals Hall; it seems that others have said it is on the right side so possibly they are arriving from Europe?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm As for Nov/Dec 23, what changes do you expect ?
If it works out the way it usually does, there will be changes. Just what those changes might be - your guess is as good as mine. Until then at least we can hope that what we like about the way things are won't change and changes we hope for will happen the way we want them to.

If it were me and I was looking for a holiday in Thailand, the major changes I would hope for would be more go-go bars, all filled with "my type" boys, all wearing the attire I like, paying attention to the bar customers rather than their telephones, and reduced drink and off fees.

As for the odds of it actually working out that way, I'd say are somewhere between nil and zilch . . .