PromptPay

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 20098
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1161 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:20 am
I've earned the right to enjoy Life, even with all its little "inconveniences", on my own terms.
No argument about that. You have indeed earned that right.

User avatar
Jun
Posts: 3809
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 pm
Has thanked: 558 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Jun »

There's a balance.

Dodger is correctly calling out people who are on their phones all the time, when out and about. I've even seen younger Asian students invite their friends around for dinner and observed them sat at the table, all on their mobile phones, rather than talking with each other. I definitely don't want to be like that.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't want to miss out on all the functionality of mobile phones.
Of course, it might be more fun if we could uninvent online dating and go back to gogo bars & cruising, but that just isn't going to happen.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 20098
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1161 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:14 pm
Of course, it might be more fun if we could uninvent online dating and go back to gogo bars & cruising, but that just isn't going to happen.
That depends on your point of view. I prefer the apps to the bars. However, I also believe the apps killed boys on the beach looking for farang and I do miss that. The lack of boys on the beach is why I don't go to the beach anymore.

User avatar
Jun
Posts: 3809
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 pm
Has thanked: 558 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:21 pm
That depends on your point of view. I prefer the apps to the bars. However, I also believe the apps killed boys on the beach looking for farang and I do miss that. The lack of boys on the beach is why I don't go to the beach anymore.
Well, in recent years, I'm getting far better results on the apps than from the bars. Mainly because we have a proper conversation about service levels before agreeing to meet.
These days, the gogo boys tend to rush things too much and if in Bangkok, I've parted with well over 1000 to get them off the premises, before we even get to the tip.

So, right now, I also prefer the apps. However, the old gogo bar scene and cruising were more fun.
If the 2022 gogo bar proposition involves overdressed boys, on a stage, 350~400 baht drinks and then the boys don't hang around for long after the off, well that's less fun than going for my morning coffee. So I also choose the apps.
Apps are also useful in cities with no gay bars.

I'm fairly sure apps are one contributor to the declining bar scene.

Likewise, electronic payments will eventually make it more difficult to pay in cash.

Dodger
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 414 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:14 pm

There's a balance.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Like just about everything else in life "The Art of Balance "is so important, where too much of anything usually has negative consequences somewhere down the line. Having too much SEX would of course be debatable... :)

jimnbkk
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:05 am
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Re: PromptPay

Post by jimnbkk »

Well, if my Thai phone still works after nearly three years out of service, I'll try Prompt Pay next time I visit.

Speaking of boys who cannot not use their phone. One time in Philippines I was walking down the street with my friend. I got a beep on my phone. It was from him right next to me. "I'm hungry" it said.

Bangkokian
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 pm
Location: bangkok
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Bangkokian »

Thanks GB.
Coincidentally, with me coming across this post, a bar owner last night was pointing out to me that he prefers people to pay this way.
He told me that using this, he doesn't pay the usual 3% or whatever to the bank from debit or credit cards. I already knew that many places like him, refuse A.E. or Diners cards because of their excessive charges.
It also explained the QR code displayed in my little corner (or mom and pop as you would say) shop.
I have noticed recently that ATMs are rapidly disappearing. I had trouble finding one on the SkyTrain last night.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 20098
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1161 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:28 pm
I have noticed recently that ATMs are rapidly disappearing. I had trouble finding one on the SkyTrain last night.
That comes as a surprise, but then again not all that surprising. I can't imagine that ATMs are going to disappear, at least not entirely and not any time soon, but it is obvious that Thailand is trying to provide alternatives to cash or cash only.

Whether some like things such as PromptPay or not, people need to accept the idea that it's here, its use is growing, and it's here to stay at least until some sort of new technology supersedes it. I don't foresee cash becoming obsolete, at least not in the foreseeable future, but I do see that eventually becoming the case. I just don't see 100 or 200 years from now people still paying the way we pay now.

For those who don't like it or prefer to avoid it, I suggest giving it a try at least once anyhow - if for no other reason to at least see how it works.

To use PromptPay you need a smartphone, a Thai bank account, online banking, and an internet connection. If you don't already have those, I urge getting them. Regarding the internet connection, I won't be surprised if at some point Thailand starts up free nationwide WiFi - that works and works speedily, reliably, and well.

Again, I don't know if PromptPay can be used with international online banking, but if any of you try it, please let us know if it works.

I fully understand why some prefer to stick with cash only and so far in most cases that is not a problem. But down the road it might be and it seems to me the sensible thing to do is to at least be prepared for it, like it or not.

Dodger
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 414 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Dodger »

Thailand is still scribbling with crayons and took over a year developing a simple app to use for 90 Day Reporting - so it may take a tad bit longer before they go "cashless"

Not only that, but Thailand being one of the most corrupt countries on Earth where "tea money" makes the world turn - I imagine making electronic payments (where the data are traceable) may not be too popular. Just a thought!

Seriously, the experts don't see a "Cashless Society" happening for many decades from now if not longer..

I'll be dead by then and Jai can tip the monks with bitcoins for all I care... :lol:

Read about it here:

https://fintechmagazine.com/digital-pay ... e-cashless

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 20098
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1161 times

Re: PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:48 pm
I imagine making electronic payments (where the data are traceable) may not be too popular. Just a thought!
Have you been shopping lately? I'm seeing PromptPay used more and more often by more and more people - Thais, not just farang. Just yesterday I was in Makro and saw many more people paying with PromptPay rather than with cash.

I realize you are reluctant to use it and prefer to pay cash, and you are not alone in that. I doubt you'll ever have a problem paying cash - not within our lifetimes anyway, but I wouldn't brush aside the new technology either. Just because the 90-day address report app had problems at the beginning doesn't mean all the Thai apps are going to have similar problems. And now the 90-day address report works perfectly. So does PromptPay.

For the 90-day address report, which do you do? Do you use the app or do you still go to immigration?

You don't need to come up with reasons to avoid new apps and technology. If you prefer paying cash, then pay cash - no problem (except maybe in that Starbuck's). After all, ATMs are also relatively new technology and improvements and additions are made to them. One thing I'd like to see the ATMs do in Thailand is what I saw them doing last time I was in the USA. You insert your card, enter you pass code, and the card immediately pops out before you do any transactions. In Thailand the card doesn't pop out until you have finished your transaction - and that makes it easy to forget your card. I've had that happen twice over the years.

I'm old enough to remember when ballpoint pens first came out. In school we were still still using the liquid inkwells. I preferred that to the ballpoints, but not for the reason you might think. I liked them because after filling the pen you could squirt the ink out of the pen. I remember hiding behind a bush after school. When Sally Hobart and Ellen Hartman walked by, they got squirted. I made a run for it, but I wasn't fast enough. They beat the shit out of me. I think from then on for me it was ballpoints . . .

I've often wondered how long it took for soldiers to prefer rifles to bow and arrow when rifles first came out. My guess is at first they still preferred using their bows and arrows. But the new technology at some point made the old technology obsolete.

In any case, I definitely like PromptPay and I'll be using it as often as I can wherever it is accepted.

Post Reply