PromptPay

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

PromptPay is a cashless, cardless payment system that has become quite popular in Thailand and a great many places are now accepting PromptPay - and I am constantly seeing more and more new places accepting it.

It is very simple to use if you hold a Thai bank account and have the bank's app on your smartphone. Here is how it's done:

1. When you are ready to pay, if you don't see a logo displayed for it, ask if PromptPay is available.
2. Either way, if it is available a QR code will come up on the seller's side if it is not already displayed.
3. Open your bank's app. Select their scan option.
4. Scan the QR code.
5. Now all the information will come up on your phone. Sometimes the payment amount already shows and sometimes you have to input the payment amount yourself.
6. Once the payment amount is in place you will input your security code - the same one you use at an ATM.
7. Then the payment goes through and you're done. Your bank's app will show your remaining balance.
8. A receipt is automatically saved in your smartphone's photo gallery.

It really is simple to use and you should give it a try if you hold a Thai bank account. You can carry around a lot less cash.

What I don't know is whether it can be used in Thailand with a foreign bank's app. Can't hurt to try. If any of you try, please let us know if it works.

I'm seeing PromptPay available everywhere. I see it a grocery stores, restaurants, mall shops, some petrol stations, even several mom-and-pop shops are starting to use it. Yesterday I took my dog to the vet and paid the bill with PromptPay. My latest telephone bill came in with a PromptPay QR code and that's how I paid the bill. PromptPay is starting to show up virtually everywhere.

At restaurants where PromptPay is available, I prefer to pay the bill using PromptPay, but leave the tip in cash - that way I know who's getting the tip. However, you can add in the tip to the bill amount if you are using PromptPay. In other words, if your bill is 400 baht, but you want to leave a 30 baht tip, then input 430 baht.

I haven't noticed it at convenience stores yet, but I have a feeling it won't be long.

Welcome to the 21st century . . .
Undaunted

Re: PromptPay

Post by Undaunted »

PromptPay can also be used to pay most monthly utility bills providing they have a QR code.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

What is the cost of using PromptPay ? Price charged to user and the hidden cost ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:46 pm What is the cost of using PromptPay ? Price charged to user and the hidden cost ?
There is no cost. No hidden cost. Nothing like that at all. Whatever the bill is, that is how much you pay. Nothing more than that is removed from your bank account.

In other words, it's absolutely free.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is one more thing I do with PromptPay. If I want high quality, hard to find cold cuts, especially corned beef, and/or high quality cheese, I always order from The Deli Factory. You can order delivery from them using Foodpanda and Grab, but they told me it is much less expensive to order directly from them. They said to order using LINE, which I do. I tell them what I want and in what quantity. Then they send back to me both the bill and a QR code for using PromptPay. I pay via PromptPay and attach the receipt photo from the smartphone gallery. 20 minutes later my order arrives.

The Deli Factory has several hard to find cold cuts and cheeses. Every so often I like to make carbonara - but I like to make the real carbonara, using guanciale instead of bacon and no cream. The Deli Factory has guanciale - which is very hard to find in Pattaya. Even Villa Market does not carry guanciale. I just tell The Deli Factory how much guanciale I want and whether I want it sliced or whole.

Here's the real carbonara recipe I like best:

BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

wow GB - many thanks for sharing this type of information - especially for a newbie like me.
I have been to Villa Market 2 times and I was able to almost find everything that I wanted.
However, I can check out this Deli Factory to peruse their web site to see what they have and have it delivered to me.
How cool - and of course I can use the PromptPay QR code to pay.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:39 pm I can check out this Deli Factory to peruse their web site to see what they have and have it delivered to me.
I would suggest personally stopping in at least once. They have more than only what appears on the web and you might want to make note of some of their items and the prices.

It is a surprisingly small shop. Ask for Ka. She pretty much runs the show there and can show you exactly how it works with PromptPay. Her English is very good.

My guess is you won't be walking out empty handed. You also can use PromptPay to pay for whatever you buy while in the shop.

As you get used to life in Pattaya and start shopping around, it doesn't take long to start learning which stores carry what. If there is something specific you are looking for, but can't find, feel free to post on the board's "Business Recommendations" forum. If whatever it is can be found in Pattaya, Bangkok, or wherever, somebody will know where to find it.

I have found nearly everything I've wanted, but even after all these years, for me there has been one utter failure. Corned Beef Hash. That's one of my favorites, but if any shop in Thailand carries it, I've never found it. I don't mean canned corned beef. I mean Corned Beef Hash. I can't find it anywhere. The only way I ever get any is when some kind soul brings it for me when traveling to Thailand.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Used it today at Makro.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm Used it today at Makro.
I also use it at Makro. At Makro I always have to tell the cashier that I want to use PromptPay, then the cashier opens the QR code.

The total amount always appears automatically at Makro on your end of PromptPay. You don't have to input it.

It is not always glaringly obvious that PromptPay is accepted at various places. For example, at restaurants often the PromptPay QR code is inside the folder they give you containing your bill.

If you are someplace where you would like to use PromptPay, but don't notice anything about PromptPay, just ask if they accept it. I've had more than one instance where that happened and it turned out that they do accept it. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have known.

I really like this system and it is perfectly safe. A thief would have to be in possession of your smartphone and also know your password to be able to use it. I'm always reading about some victim who was robbed of thousands of baht cash. With PromptPay you don't need to carry a lot of cash.

I'm waiting for the boys to start accepting PromptPay . . .
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

I'm waiting for the boys to start accepting PromptPay . . .
Oh yes GB, now that would be hot......

Where shall we suggest the QR code be placed on the guys body ??

I can see how this could escalate - we pay our first PromptPay for the guy to sit with us, then for the follow-on drink(s), another PromptPay to touch his QR code, and another PromptPay to get him home, and of course, for the finale, the last QR code before he is off and running.....