PromptPay

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: PromptPay

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:30 pm
I walked into the first branch of Kasikorn and they said I needed a work permit.
The second branch of Kasikorn opened the account.
I forgot to mention that part, although I've said it many times over the years. In a way Thai bank branches are similar to immigration in that each branch seems to set its own rules. If you are going to try to open a bank account by yourself, if one branch says no, try another branch of the same bank. If that branch turns you down, don't give up. Keep trying. Sooner or later you're likely to find a branch that will let you not only open the account, but help you set up online banking so you can use both your computer and smartphone.

Again, if you are not successful, then try a service such as Mots. You'll probably have the account and online banking by the next day. I don't know how they do it and I don't ask questions. I'm just glad they can get me what I want no matter how they're doing it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Those of you who would rather use cash rather than online apps such as PromptPay et al, I suggest looking at the November 17 "Headline News" (see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11016&p=108925#p108925 ).

Based upon what I've been seeing in the news and personally observing, I believe you're making a mistake if you are not downloading your online banking apps and at least giving these things try, if for no other reason to make sure you know how they work and can use them if need be. When I hear about one venue, and probably more than one, no longer accepting cash and the news reports that Thailand is going to cut back on the number of notes available, that tells me something.

Whether you are for it or opposed to it and even if you don't want to hear or accept it, you certainly should be able to see the direction this "cashless society" idea is moving. I still believe you will be able to use cash for the foreseeable future, but I, for one, don't want to be left behind.

I learned that lesson when mobile phones first came out. I saw no need for it and avoided it. Later, when smartphone technology started making mobile phones obsolete, I didn't see much need for that either. But now, I don't go anywhere without my smartphone and I don't know how we ever lived without them. If I'm going somewhere and realize I left my smartphone at home, there have been times when I turned around and went back home to get it. I make sure to have it handy even when at home. If something happens, help is one speed dial key away.

I haven't seen anything in the news about this yet, but I'm expecting Thailand, within the foreseeable future, to come up with some sort of system by which international travelers who don't hold a Thai bank account can also use these systems (For all I know, maybe they already can).
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:57 pm Again, if you are not successful, then try a service such as Mots. You'll probably have the account and online banking by the next day. I don't know how they do it and I don't ask questions. I'm just glad they can get me what I want no matter how they're doing it.
This is VERY true. What I learned is that the Mots team goes to a specific branch of Bangkok Bank here in Jomtien, which is kind of near the immigration office. That branch is able to work miracles and when you walk in with a Mots person - it is as if you are royalty. I was very impressed and I did not ask any questions - but I worked in banking for the first 14 years of my working life and I understood what was going on and what were the seeds to this magic.....and yes, I am a happy camper....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm I understood what was going on and what were the seeds to this magic
Well, don't tell anybody. That spoils the magic . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Earlier this year, I went into a couple of agencies in South Pattaya to see what my options were to extend my stay beyond 90 days.

One was a covid extension, when I wasn't actually entitled to one, after arriving on a 90 day visa. ~22,000 baht. That buys a lot of tea.

The other was a retirement visa. Just under 14,000, including ~ 1800 for opening an account at a specific branch of Bangkok Bank. This would then briefly be credited with 800,000 and somehow someone would be persuaded that this satisfies the rules.
I was told that my existing Kasikorn account was no use for this.

I decided not to bother, as the total cost of visa, flights and insurance wouldn't be justified for the extra 3 weeks or so that I wanted to stay.
[Prices are from memory, so might be slightly out]

However, if I wanted another Thai bank account, I would try asking at quite a few branches before considering paying an agency to facilitate it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:47 pm However, if I wanted another Thai bank account, I would try asking at quite a few branches before considering paying an agency to facilitate it.
For opening a Thai bank account, here is the fee at Mots. Seems reasonable enough to me.
OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT. FEE 3500 BAHT 
Mot is able to open a Thai Bank Account for you. Even on a Tourist Visa. Fee includes 500 baht deposit to open the account and Internet Banking.
Passport and proof of residence required. 2 Passport Photographs. FULL DOOR TO DOOR SERVICE AVAILABLE
(PLEASE NOTE FEE FOR ATM CARD IS PAID DIRECTLY TO THE BANK AND IS NOT INCLUDED IN ABOVE FEE)
Depending on which bank, the fee for the ATM card will not exceed 300 baht.

I don't know how much they charge for obtaining visas. I would think it would depend on how simple or complicated each individual case is.

If someone wants the retirement visa and is having problems trying to open a Thai bank account, I would use Mots. Having a Thai bank account is essential for obtaining the retirement visa. You won't get the visa without it.

If you are eligible for the retirement visa, once you have the bank account and can produce the necessary paperwork, I see no reason to use a service. It is quite simple to do on your own and the fee you'll pay at immigration for the visa is 1900 baht.

Some people are afraid to go to immigration, especially when applying for a first time visa. Don't be. Despite what some say about immigration, they really try to help you get the visa. Some people are under the impression that immigration does everything they can to prevent you from getting the visa. WRONG! They try to help, not prevent - at least in Pattaya. I've heard horror stories about immigration in other provinces. To tell the truth, I doubt the credibility of some of those stories.

The worst mistake a person can make at immigration, and I've seen it for myself more than once, is to try to argue with them. They're not going to put up with it and it will get you nowhere - other than unceremoniously shown to the door. Just comply with what they want. If they want something you absolutely cannot provide or comply with, don't try to argue. That would the time to consult a visa agency such as Mots.

Of course, if you're the type who is stupid enough to argue even with Mots, now a typical American phrase definitely is going to apply to you: "You're shit out of luck".
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Jun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:47 pm The other was a retirement visa. Just under 14,000, including ~ 1800 for opening an account at a specific branch of Bangkok Bank. This would then briefly be credited with 800,000 and somehow someone would be persuaded that this satisfies the rules.
I was told that my existing Kasikorn account was no use for this.

However, if I wanted another Thai bank account, I would try asking at quite a few branches before considering paying an agency to facilitate it.
I have never used any of these services and have nothing but speculation to add.

In reading these posts, I always assumed that the "new" account at a "specific" branch of Bangkok Bank was done so the agency had signature access to the account and could withdraw THEIR money from the account without assistance from the foreigner. In fact, I wondered if the account was in the foreigner's name but only the agency had signature acess??
Jun

Post by Jun »

bi-top wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 pm In reading these posts, I always assumed that the "new" account at a "specific" branch of Bangkok Bank was done so the agency had signature access to the account and could withdraw THEIR money from the account without assistance from the foreigner. In fact, I wondered if the account was in the foreigner's name but only the agency had signature acess??
I very much suspect it has something to do with that. After all, for a dodgy retirement visa, if they are briefly going to deposit 800,000 baht of their money into the account, it follows that they want to get it back.
I wouldn't want to put much of my own money into a bank account like that.

As for the separate matter of opening a Thai bank account for normal use, whether or not paying an agency 3000 baht to open one is good value depends on the alternative options.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If you can satisfy immigration's 65000 baht per month requirement, I don't know why 800000 baht would have to come into the process at all.

Either way, you do need a Thai bank account in order to get the retirenent visa. If you can't find a way to open an account on your own, there is no choice that I can think of other than using one of these services, no matter how they are doing it.

I have no reason to think they are cheating anyone. If that was happening we would have heard about it long ago. As far as I know, everyone who has used Mots has been very pleased.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:54 pmIf you are eligible for the retirement visa, once you have the bank account and can produce the necessary paperwork, I see no reason to use a service. It is quite simple to do on your own and the fee you'll pay at immigration for the visa is 1900 baht.

Some people are afraid to go to immigration, especially when applying for a first time visa. Don't be. Despite what some say about immigration, they really try to help you get the visa. Some people are under the impression that immigration does everything they can to prevent you from getting the visa. WRONG! They try to help, not prevent - at least in Pattaya. I've heard horror stories about immigration in other provinces. To tell the truth, I doubt the credibility of some of those stories.
For regular extensions of stay including the first one, I agree with GB's observations. However, if entering Visa Exempt or with a Tourist Visa and applying to get a Non-Immigrant O Visa (for the purposes of retirement - receiving a 90 day permission to stay and after 60 days applying for a one year extension of stay), I can't say the same.

I have heard that applying for the Non-O Visa is not easy at Jomtien Office. Extensions of stay are extended at Desk 8. Applying for the Non-Immigrant O Visa is at a different desk - I don't recall the number, but it is the first one on the left after going past the area where you get a queue number for the different desks.

I have been told by several folks over the past few years that they will put all kinds of stumbling blocks in your way. The reason apparently is they want you to use an agent - a couple of times it was reported that they were even told to use a specific nearby agent and in one case the person told me they were told outright that for a certain fee they could get expedited service for both the Visa and subsequent extension.

Also, many may not be aware, that the Immigration rules for applying for the Non-Immigrant Visa requires 800k baht be in a Thai bank with proof it came from outside of Thailand [although the monthly income method (65k baht per month) is acceptable for extending the stay after you get the Non-O Visa, it is not for getting the Non-O Visa itself].

Jun wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:44 pmI very much suspect it has something to do with that. After all, for a dodgy retirement visa, if they are briefly going to deposit 800,000 baht of their money into the account, it follows that they want to get it back.
I spoke last week with a Canadian friend who has just recently used an agent (not Mots) to open a Bangkok Bank account and then get his retirement extension. As mentioned it was a Bangkok Bank branch. His opinion was that the 800k deposit and withdrawal entered into his bank book was most likely a "book entry" by the Bank's staff rather than an actual deposit and withdrawal of funds. If so, there would be no need for the agent to have any signature "access" to his new bank account.

He plans to transfer the actual 800k to his new account when he returns to Canada and on his return he will have it for the 2 months before applying for the next extension. Thus, he would not need to use the agent again. I mentioned that he most likely will need to use the agent, at least for the first renewal, because his bank book will not show he kept the 800k on deposit for 3 months after getting his extension, kept a balance of at least 400k then increased it to 800k at least 2 months before he applies again for an extension. Thus if he does it on his own, he most likely will not get the extension for being unable to show he met those requirements. Of course, subsequent renewals should not be a problem for him to do himself as he can ensure his bank book's balances will show he met those requirements.