Ferry to start trips from Pattaya to Koh Samui

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Ferry to start trips from Pattaya to Koh Samui

Post by Gaybutton »

First, there is an 18 minute video (in Thai, but you'll get the idea) showing the ferry and its accommodations:

I have not spotted anything yet about the prices. I will provide more information when it becomes available.

‘The Blue Dolphin’ ferry successfully launches its first route of Pattaya – Samui on Saturday

By Nop Meechukhun

11 September, 2022

The first ‘Blue Dolphin’ ferry of the Pattaya – Samui route has been officially launched on Saturday, September 10th, aiming to stimulate Thai Tourism after the pandemic.

The ferry, carrying about 200 vehicles, traveled off from the Chuksamed Pier of the Sattahip district and arrived at Koh Samui, Surat Thani, yesterday, marking the ship’s first berthing on the route.

‘The Blue Dolphin’ ferry, operated by the Seahorse Ferry, can accommodate up to 200 private cars and 586 passengers with a total of 15 rooms, categorized into 5 room types: Premier, Suite, First Class, Comfort, and Capsule. The Pattaya – Samui route takes approximately about 13 hours per trip.

Previously, the ferry had launched its first operation with the route from Sattahip to the southern area of Songkhla on November 8th, 2021, after a long delay due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

For more information please check out their Facebook here. Keep mind regularly scheduled trips are not yet being done and the recent trip was a test run but is expected to be fully effective by the end of September. Final bookings will be done via SPcruise.com, but the website is not yet live.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/11/t ... -saturday/
Jun

Re: Ferry to start trips from Pattaya to Koh Samui

Post by Jun »

I wonder where the demand for this would be ?

Both Pattaya and Ko Samui are tourist areas, so obviously tourists. If travelling without a car, surely a 1 hour flight beats a 13 hour ferry ?

Travelling overnight might make it a more interesting proposition, but only 15 rooms ?

Even the Hua Hin~Pattaya ferry struggled and that was replacing a 4.5 hour bus trip with a ~2 hour ferry, so there was some clear benefit for paying up for the ferry.

I suspect it makes sense if you want to take a car.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:23 pm I suspect it makes sense if you want to take a car.
Yes, but on Koh Samui I don't know why the average person, including me, would need or even want a car.

Apparently they expect a lot of business. Obviously a great deal of money was invested in this.

I might do it if I want a one day cruise and if not too expensive, but I doubt I would take my car.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Exactly what I like! In all those years (2009-2022) I have been to Samui only once. One reasons is that there is nothing of particular interest that I can't find elsewhere, another reason difficulty of access, or rather the choice between an expensive flight and a cumbersome overland and sea travel (like night train to Surat Thani, transfer to pier, boat). But if pricing and timing (e.g. departure 7 pm, arrival 8 am, that would be the time I would be getting up for a flight) is to my liking, I will go.

Timing is not trivial. There are two Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville trains. One leaves 6 am, too early for me, the other arrives 10 pm, too late for me. I have only done part of the trip, at civil times.

I have been on the now closed Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry three times, just because I like the idea. Some people collect stamps, I collect train rides, ferry crossings, overnight stays in provinces (currently 57 out of 77), border crossings (I have travelled in and out of Thailand about half of her border crossings), and Pattaya to Samui will be the next.