proposed: alcohol ok in hotels 2-5pm - venue hours extended to 4:00am

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

proposed: alcohol ok in hotels 2-5pm - venue hours extended to 4:00am

Post by Gaybutton »

Bear in mind that so far this is a proposal. I don't know exactly who has to approve it or when that might happen. I would think there will be push for approval in time for the beginning of high season in October.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya mayor backs selling alcohol from 2 pm to 5 pm in hotels, extending legal opening hours to 4 am

By Tanakorn Panyadee

September 9, 2022

The Pattaya mayor was open to backing business operators’ proposals to sell alcohol from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in hotels as well as to extend legal opening hours to 4 a.m. to cope with tourists’ behavior.

Pattaya Mayor Poramase Ngampiches reacted to the Pattaya business operators who recently met with Thai Minister of Tourism and Sports Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn to propose allowing hotels to sell alcohol from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and extending the legal opening hours to 4 a.m. in response to the tourists’ behavior.

The mayor said: “I fully support the two ideas. Pattaya is a world-class destination for tourism. Most venues are back to business now, and they are eager to service customers til 4 a.m. I am willing to let Pattaya pioneer the two policies.”
The initial eight sandbox provinces proposed to test the opening til 4 a.m. policy are Bangkok (Khaosan Road), Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Chonburi (Pattaya), Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin), Surat Thani (Samui), and Chiang Mai.

However, as both times are currently law, the law will need to be changed to allow the proposal and some groups, notably religious and anti-alcohol organizations, have opposed any easing of the laws.

More meetings at a national level to discuss the proposal are expected late this month or early next.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/09/p ... s-to-4-am/
Jun

Re: proposed: alcohol ok in hotels 2-5pm - venue hours extended to 4:00am

Post by Jun »

1 So I presume any bar that is attached to a hotel would be allowed to open ?

2 Even in Pattaya, I think the majority of tourists don't go on holiday to drink all day. I doubt I would make any use of this at all. Far more useful would be to allow shops and supermarkets to sell alcohol, so if one wants a bottle for later, it can be picked up at the same time as the rest of the shopping.
Gaybutton

Re: proposed: alcohol ok in hotels 2-5pm - venue hours extended to 4:00am

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:49 pm Far more useful would be to allow shops and supermarkets to sell alcohol, so if one wants a bottle for later, it can be picked up at the same time as the rest of the shopping.
You're making sense. Unfortunately it rarely ever works out that way. I'm still - unsuccessfully - trying to understand the logic behind the 2-5pm alcohol sales ban in the first place.