Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Thai Constitutional Court Suspends Prime minister

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Thai Constitutional Court Suspends Prime minister

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm not sure whether he can run for Prime Minister in the next election.

Thai Constitutional Court orders General Prayut to suspend his duties as Thailand’s Prime Minister, effective immediately

By Nop Meechukhun

24 August, 2022

The Thai Constitutional Court on Wednesday, August 24th, voted in favor to order General Prayut Chan-O’Cha to suspend his duties as the prime minister until the court’s ruling on his eight-year ministry term controversy is made.

According to local media, the Judiciary Committee voted in favor by 5 to 4 in the quorum this morning. The order is effective immediately until the court adjudicates, in which the process can presumably take about one month or more.

The debate is over if Prayut has exceeded his eight year term limit. Opponents argue he has, counting the time since he took over during a coup in 2014. Prayut and the government argue he hasn’t, as the current constitution was completed in 2017 and Prayut was not formerly PM prior to that. The constitutional court has agreed to debate the matter and suspend Prayut from working temporarily during this period.

In the meantime, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan will be serving as the Acting/Caretaker Prime Minister.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/08/24/thai ... mediately/

Constitutional Court suspends Prayut

August 24, 2022

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha at Government House on Tuesday. (Photo: Chanat Katanyu)

The Constitutional Court has voted 5-4 in ordering Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha suspended from duty.

The court's order came after it ruled to accept the petition asking for a ruling on his eight-year tenure as prime minister.

The petition was forwarded from Parliament to the court on Monday.

The opposition has asked the court to rule on his tenure, when it began and ends, as it is still open to interpretation.

Critics say his term should end on Wednesday as his first day in office should be counted from Aug 24, 2014, when he was named prime minister after leading a military coup in May, while his supporters say the count should start on June 9, 2019, after the present constitution came into force in 2017.

The court said on Wednesday the nine judges unanimously agreed to accept the petition for consideration and ordered the person named in the petition - the prime minister in this case - to counter the petition before the court within 15 days of receiving official notification. However, the decision to suspend him from work was by a majority vote, it said.

The court did not say when it will make a ruling on the issue raised in the petition.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam has said previously that Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon would be the acting prime minister in the absence of Gen Prayut. Gen Prayut could continue to attend cabinet meetings in his capacity as defence minister, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/po ... nds-prayut
Gaybutton

Re: Thai Constitutional Court Suspends Prime minister

Post by Gaybutton »

There is no indication this is anything we need to worry about. I am not anticipating any trouble. I think other than reading about this in the news, you wouldn't even notice that any of this is going on. The decision rests with the courts. No matter what the outcome, I believe all parties will comply with the court's decision.

The brouhaha is about when the Prime Minister legally became Prime Minister and when his term of office ends. It is in the courts now because one side contends that his term legally ended August 24, while the other side contends his term of office actually ends in June, 2027. The courts have to decide which it is and the Prime Minister has been suspended from office until the decision is made. If it is decided that his term ends in 2027 the suspension will be lifted. If it is decided that his term already ended on August 24, I'm not sure yet what happens next.

Of course we will keep you informed in case trouble does develop, but I doubt any will. I see no need for anyone to cancel travel plans to Thailand.