Flash Flood warning

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Flash Flood warning

Post by Gaybutton »

I usually refrain from posting these weather warnings because most of time when I did post, virtually nothing happened.

I'm making an exception this time because it seems to me more likely. As we all know, Pattaya doesn't even need a particularly heavy rain for the main roads to flood and often flash flood.

The city has been digging up roads and installing large capacity drain pipes in efforts to control flooding. Despite that, the city and its main roads continue to flood just as much as they always did.

Note that Chonburi, Pattaya's province, is included on the lists.

Flash-flood warning for 20 provinces across country

by THE NATION

August 18, 2022

Twenty provinces in the North, the Northeast, the East and the deep South have been warned of flash floods and water runoff from August 20-24 due to heavy rains.

The Office of National Water Resources (ONWR) issued the warning on Thursday, citing a Thailand Meteorological Department weather forecast, which said that during August 20-23, a monsoon trough would lie across the North and the upper Northeast. Meanwhile, the southwest monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf would strengthen.

These conditions will lead to more showers across the country, with isolated heavy to very heavy rains in the North, the Northeast, the Central region including Bangkok and its vicinity, the East and the South.

The ONWR warned that from August 20-24, the following areas are prone to flash floods and water runoff, and advised people to closely follow the latest updates on weather and water levels.

North: Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Nan, Phitsanulok, Uttaradit, Phetchabun.

Northeast: Kalasin, Nakhon Phanom, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nong Khai, Udon Thani.

East: Chonburi, Rayong, Trat

Deep South: Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani.

The ONWR also urged authorities to closely monitor water levels at 10 large reservoirs in affected areas and issued a warning to surrounding communities. The reservoirs are:

- Mae Ngat Somboon Chon, Chiang Mai

- Kiew Kho Ma, Lampang

- Khwae Noi Bamrung Daen, Phitsanulok

- Bueng Boraphet, Nakhon Sawan

- Pasak Chonlasit, Lopburi

- Nam Phung, Sakon Nakhon

- Ubol Ratana, Khon Kaen

- Bang Phra, Chonburi

- Nong Pla Lai, Rayong
Dodger

Re: Flash Flood warning

Post by Dodger »

Very helpful update...Thanks!

Based on this forecast Jai and I will hold off on our plans to drive to Buriram on the 23rd.

I know this forecast can change - but I don't want to chance navigating those mountains in Isaan during floods. They're dangerous enough when it's dry.
Gaybutton

Re: Flash Flood warning

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:37 am Based on this forecast Jai and I will hold off on our plans to drive to Buriram on the 23rd.
That's the smart and safe decision, even if nothing at all happens. I wouldn't want to stake my life on the possibility of a wrong guess when whatever I had planned could easily be postponed by a couple days.