Wise Transfers Days Instead of Minutes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Wise Transfers Days Instead of Minutes

Post by Jun »

Well my Wise transfer was cancelled today. Apparently, they asked me to upload my ID and as I haven't responded, it's cancelled.

I checked back and snuck in just before the e-mail that is telling me my money is on it's way, is another e-mail saying I need to upload ID. I missed the earlier e-mail and just read the more recent one.
The more recent one that says my money is on its way.

I'd also checked the status page on their website several times. It said the transfer is under review. It did NOT say they are waiting for me to upload ID before making the transfer, so communication could be better.
I also didn't receive any reminder e-mails.
Nowhere on their website does it say I need to upload ID.

OK, so I could do better here.
But what exactly is the point of a status page that doesn't tell me the transfer is stopped until I upload photo ID ?
The status page should have a clear warning, telling me precisely what I need to do to complete the transfer.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:05 am Nowhere on their website does it say I need to upload ID.
I don't have any idea why you are having problems with Wise. I have never had any problem at all with them and I don't recall them ever asking for any kind of ID. Maybe they did and I just don't remember, but that would have been when I first started using them.

Why not just upload your ID to them and be done with it?
Jun

Post by Jun »

I never had any problems with Wise until this transfer. I have been very pleased with previous results.

However, I have a simple expectation regarding communication. If they are waiting for me to upload an ID before progressing a transfer, they should say so on the web page that explains the status of that transfer. Then I would have known about it.

Instead, all they did was send an email, which was immediately followed by another email saying they have my money and the transfer us on it's way. I just read the later mail and took it at face value.

So if anyone else has a transfer on hold, don't expect to be told why on the status page. Check all recent emails.

Of course I have now uploaded an ID.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:06 pm I never had any problems with Wise until this transfer.
The most important thing, of course, is that you get your money. Still, I would send them an Email asking what the problem was this time. If it were me, I would want to know, especially since no other board members have posted anything saying they had anything similar happen.
Jun

Post by Jun »

My advice for other members:

1 If Wise say a transfer is delayed, don't expect the website status page to tell you why.

2 Carefully check your e-mail in box for e-mails from Wise. If there is one saying the money is on it's way and you can check progress on the website, don't believe what it says. Check for earlier e-mails, just in case they are asking for your ID.

Filtering my e-mails, I see they last asked for ID in November 2020. At that time, I uploaded a picture of my passport which does not expire until 2029. This time I uploaded the same photo of the same passport.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:18 pm I see they last asked for ID in November 2020. At that time, I uploaded a picture of my passport which does not expire until 2029. This time I uploaded the same photo of the same passport.
Especially since nothing similar has happened to me - or anyone else I know who uses Wise - can you guess what now has become the latest entry on my "I Don't Get It" list?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Banks and other financial service providers asking for ID is normal practice.

The part I just can't fathom how the "Status" page for the transfer doesn't tell me it's on hold because it needs me to upload ID. That's the most useful piece of information there is regarding the Status of my transfer.

Having to upload the same unexpired passport that I uploaded in 2020 is also slightly silly, but this level of stupidity is not uncommon.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

I vaguely remember having to upload and ID a year ago, which went without problem, hence almost gone from my memory.
Since a few years ago, I get a code per SMS that I have to put in the transfer website.
Some days ago, transfer within a day (and from memory all transfers have been within a day).