Major fire in Sattahip pub kills 13, injures 41

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Major fire in Sattahip pub kills 13, injures 41

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm How many Gogo and Karaoke Bars do you know of that are safe?
I don't know that any of them are safe, but the ones that have been around for years without incident seem safe enough to me. Still, it is probably safest to sit as near to the door as you can.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"Mountain B owners, executives have yet to show responsibility, says victim's sister"

Really? Anyone surprised?

Death toll from pub inferno rises to 15

Mountain B owners, executives have yet to show responsibility, says victim's sister

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

August 6, 2022

The death toll from a blaze that tore through a nightclub in Sattahip district rose to 15 on Saturday, as one more injured victim was pronounced dead. The number of injured people stood at 37.

Thanakit Meenoi, 36, succumbed to his injuries at Rayong Hospital, said a source.

His sister, Nittaya Meenoi, 30, said her brother had gone to the Mountain B pub with more than 10 friends to celebrate his birthday. He had reserved a table in front of the stage where a live band was playing, she said

Thanakit and his friends ran out from the pub when the fire broke out, but two of his friends, Surakarn Ruengrit, 35, and Suthep Mongkolkaew, 33, died while the others suffered serious injuries, she said.

The pub owner and the executives have yet to contact her family to show responsibility over the death of her brother and his friends, said Ms Nittaya.

The inferno started about 1am as customers packed the pub, according to the Sawang Rojana Thammasathan Foundation.

Eyewitnesses said they heard two explosions near the DJ's booth and saw sparks that ignited soundproofing foam, and the fire spread quickly.

The pub opened about a month ago and was popular with young local people. The fire erupted when customers were enjoying live music, leading to a stampede for safety.

Officials from the Chon Buri provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office and Sattahip district officials on Saturday morning inspected the fire-gutted pub to gather further evidence for submission to police investigators to issue arrest warrants for those involved in the inferno, which killed 15 people and injured 37 others.

Relatives and friends of victims on Saturday went to the pub with Buddhist monks performing religious rites for the dead.

Some victims arrived at the Phlu Ta Luang police station to give their statements. Chayanin Seethapthim, 25 and his mother Chaninan Chanfong, 48, were among the injured victims who arrived at the police station.

Story and photos: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ises-to-15

Prayut wants swift pub fire action

Orders second probe into Chon Buri blaze

by Mongkol Bangprapa and Supoj Wancharoen

August 6, 2022

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered another investigation into the Chon Buri pub fire that killed 14 people and injured 36 others after an initial probe found the establishment had been illegally altered and operated.

The inferno started at about 1am on Friday at the customer-packed Mountain B pub, according to police.

Ten men and four women died in the fire, all of them local residents, police said.

Four charred bodies were found behind the front door of the one-storey building, three in a men's restroom, one at a DJ booth and five at a cashier's booth, police said, adding another victim later died in hospital.

Mountain B covers an area of 3 rai along Sukhumvit Road in the province's Sattahip district.

The blaze is reminiscent of the Santika pub fire in Bangkok, which occurred during a Jan 1, 2009 New Year's Eve countdown. Sixty-six people were killed and more than 200 others were injured then.

Gen Prayut on Friday expressed sympathy for the victims of the Mountain B pub fire. He said he has instructed authorities to inspect the damage and take care of the injured and the relatives of the dead.

"Authorities have been ordered to find the cause of the incident and bring the culprit in for punishment," he said. "This incident is similar to the Santika pub fire in Bangkok."

He also stressed the need for pub operators to comply with rules and regulations governing the construction and modification of buildings.

"The Interior Ministry, provincial governors and police have also been ordered to make sure similar incidents do not occur in the future," he said.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said the initial probe found Mountain B did not have a pub licence and it was built in an area where entertainment venues were prohibited.

"Officials are checking the details of the building, including design, construction materials used, control systems and fire exits," he said. "I told them to find the cause of the fire and [identify] the people responsible for it."

Pol Maj Gen Atthasit Kitjahan, commander of Chon Buri police, said Mountain B was licensed to operate as an eatery but had been illegally altered and used as an entertainment place.

He said the building was almost completely destroyed -- with its interior structure, decoration, soundproofing, stage and ceiling tiles engulfed by the blaze. Investigators have questioned the staff, owner, eyewitnesses and an electrician recently hired to repair the building's power system, he said.

Pol Maj Gen Chaipoj Suwanrak, deputy commander of the Provincial Police Region 2, said another probe found that no circuit breaker was installed in the pub and there were only two fire extinguishers -- which was disproportionate to the pub's space.

Pongsiri Panprasong, the 27-year-old pub owner, said it opened about two months ago and he submitted a request to operate as a pub on June 13.

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt on Friday said he had instructed city officials to step up the inspection of nightlife outlets across the capital as a precautionary measure amid tourists returning to visit.

Story and graphics: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ire-action
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If it turns out that any of them accepted any kind of payoffs or bribes to look the other way at the numerous violations, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. In fact, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes now. Along with the possibility of facing very long prison sentences, imagine if family members and friends of the victims ever get their hands on them.

It will be interesting to see if any of them try to flee.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Five senior Sattahip police officers, including a chief, transferred in the aftermath of Mountain B nightclub fire

By Tanakorn Panyadee

6 August, 2022

Five Plutaluang senior police officers have been transferred to the Chonburi Provincial Police Station in the aftermath of the Mountain B fire, which was reportedly illegally built and operated without a proper license.

Order Number 313/2020 to transfer five senior police officers at the Plutaluang Police Station went public yesterday, August 5th, under the name of Pol. Maj. Gen. Atthasit Kitchahan, Commander-in-Chief of the Chonburi Provincial Police, following the gruesome fire at the Mountain B pub in the Plutaluang subdistrict of the Sattahip district.

The order read, “To allow the offices at the Chonburi Provincial Police Station to work effectively, the five officers as followings will, therefore, be transferred to inactive posts at the Chonburi Provincial Police Station,”

POL. COL. Wuttipong Somjai, Chief of Police of the Plutaluang Police Station
POL. LT. COL. Somsak Ruying, Deputy Chief of Police
POL. LT. COL. Torwong Sakkulwong, Deputy Chief of Investigations
POL. MAJ. Samaya Choosukphonyam, Inspector of Crime Prevention and Suppression
POL. MAJ. Yuttana Songkrasa, Inspector of Investigations

The order is in effect until further notice, starting from August 5th, 2022.

Local media, however, reported that the transfers of the five police officers came from the aftermath of the discovery that Mountain B had been operating without a proper license, repeatedly violating the legal closing hours, and allowing access to minors. The five officers involved in the allegations will also be investigated by superior authorities.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/06/f ... club-fire/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The police officers who were guilty of turning a blind eye and/or sucking tea money from this pub should be transferred to prison - not an inactive post.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:38 pm The police officers who were guilty
I agree, but it is too soon to know who is guilty of what. It is also too soon to know if more than only these five and anyone other than police officers were involved and are also coming under suspicion.

To me, if it turns out that anyone is guilty of turning a blind eye did so just to pocket some money, whatever the maximum penalty may be, that's what they should get - along with whoever offered them money to look the other way. I can't think of much more sickening than people who would put other people's lives, especially dozens of people, at risk for the sake of money. But I believe it is wrong at this early stage to start jumping to conclusions. Obviously at least one person is guilty and quite likely several others, but they need to find out who the guilty parties really are no matter how obvious it would seem at this point.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm How many Gogo and Karaoke Bars do you know of that are safe?
I would think ALL of the gogo bars in Pattaya are reasonably safe. They're small, are on the ground floor and have concrete walls and floors. So if the upholstery or wooden stage catches fire, I'd imagine the typical half a dozen customers could easily shuffle out through the door.

I'm not quite so sure about certain larger Bangkok bars
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I suppose we could ask the same question always asked after such tragedies - why did it take this sort of tragedy for action to be taken? Why weren't the routine building inspection and documentation checks done long ago? Why have periodic random checks not been set up? The police never had a problem raiding Sunee Plaza in the past to do just that. How did unlicensed and unauthorized venues manage to open anyway?

I think most of us can easily guess the answers to those questions and chances are you'll get it right the first time. The problem is it's always too little, too late.

The most extreme recent example has to be that police office known as Joe Ferrari - living in the lap of luxury in a luxurious home, with the finest furniture, and expensive luxury and sports cars. That went on until he was finally caught.

While I believe the efforts to rid Thailand of blatant corruption are genuine and sincere, I can't say I'm very impressed with the results so far. I believe the kind of corruption that has surfaced and been dealt with is only a drop in the bucket compared to what is going on, but hasn't been exposed yet.

83 Bangkok pubs shuttered over safety concerns

Chadchart orders checks in every district after Sattahip nightspot tragedy

August 6, 2022

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt has ordered all 50 districts in the city to carry out safety checks at entertainment venues, following the fatal nightclub fire in Chon Buri and another recent fire incident in the Silom area.

The governor on Saturday reported progress in a city-wide survey of the safety of entertainment venues, indicating he has received 400 reports so far with 83 locations considered problematic and ordered to suspend their operations.

The city is emphasising the readiness of fire escapes, including their visibility by patrons, while police have been asked to assist in the checks, he said.

Mr Chadchart was responding to the blaze at the Mountain B pub in Sattahip early Friday, which resulted in 15 deaths and 37 injuries, expressing his condolences over the loss of life and property.

Numerous questions have been raised about the Sattahip incident, including the lack of fire exits and the use of inflammable soundproofing materials. As well, it has been revealed that the business lacked a licence to operate as a pub.

Mr Chadchart said the Sattahip tragedy should have been avoided, noting that he had called for more checks in the capital following a fire that broke out in a six-storey building on Silom Road on June 7.

With more tourists visiting Bangkok following the country’s reopening, the governor said it was particularly important to step up safety measures.

He has tasked his adviser, Pol Maj-Gen Adisorn Ngamjitsuksri, with overseeing reviews, adding that the frequency of checks would be increased at this time.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... y-concerns
______________________________________________________________________________________

Death toll at Mountain B pub fire in Sattahip rises to 15, father of deceased navy sailor tells his story

By Tanakorn Panyadee

6 August, 2022

The death toll of the Mountain B fire in Sattahip district rose to 15 people while the father of a deceased navy sailor said his son had just promised to visit him before he was found dead inside the pub.

The latest report confirmed today, August 6th, that the death toll of the Mountain B fire in Sattahip district on August 5th, just rose to 15 people, adding the death of Mr. Thanakit Neenoi, 36, who recently passed at Rayong Hospital.

The victim’s younger sister, Ms. Nittaya Neenoi, revealed that her brother went to the Mountain B club with around 10 of his friends to celebrate a birthday party. Thanakit reserved a table near the musical stage and suffered severe burns despite being able to escape the fire alive, his sister told the media.

Thanakit along with two of his friends including Mr. Surakan Ruangrit, 35, who passed away in the flames, and Mr. Suthep Mongkolkaew, 33, who passed at a hospital, made the death toll of the Mountain B fire rise to 15 people, as of press time.

Nittaya, the sister of the most recent victim, stated that neither the venue’s owner nor any other stakeholder has contacted her to express their condolences. She carried on that the accident caused her family unbearable grief because her brother was the breadwinner for the family of two children, one was studying high school and the other at a vocational school.

She also reportedly questioned why the venue was allowed to open past 1 AM, which she thought was illegal.

Meanwhile, four families came to collect their loved ones’ bodies so far, as of yesterday, August 5th. In a sorrowful atmosphere, Mr. Suphan, the father of a deceased navy sailor who passed inside the Mountain B revealed to the media, “My son (Petty Officer First Class Somrat) was 31 years old.”

“He worked under the Air and Coastal Defense Command of the Royal Thai Navy. We were called yesterday and told to brace ourselves when looking at the picture of my son,” Mr. Suphan who asked to not reveal his last name stated. “He was found in front of the pub’s restroom. He worked alone in the army.”

Suphan carried on, “My son had just called me, promising to pay me a visit and asking me to help with his driver’s license. I never thought he would have passed so soon.”

The navy’s father and other families reportedly filed a report at the Plutaluang Police Station where five senior police officers have been transferred in the aftermath of this catastrophe.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/06/d ... his-story/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

"83 Bangkok pubs shuttered over safety concerns"

That represents around 20% of the entertainment venues in Bangkok inspected so far for safety concerns...and they've just started.

One would imagine that similar results would be found if the venues in Pattaya were inspected to the same criteria.

Considering the wide-spread negligence of adherence to "safety standards" in Thailand it's not a matter of "If" another fire like this breaks out, but "when".

I've been involved in several building projects in Thailand over the years and never had the luxury of allowing the workers I hired to to use the materials they purchased to perform the work. I had to go out and buy the building materials myself. If I hadn't done this they would do as most builders in Thailand do - and quote a job based on the average cost of quality materials - and then end up using the cheapest crap they can buy, which is where many of the major safety concerns have their roots...especially electrical

Not only do you have to manage the "materials" but you have to watch them performing their work at every stage to make sure things are done right. I've seen Thai electricians (tongue in cheek) install wiring in outlet boxes without even insulating the connections...or better yet, attempting to install breaker boxes which weren't even rated correctly for the line usage in the building. I could go on-and-on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Unfortunately Dodger is correct. I've seen the same kinds of crap all too often.

Fortunately for me, the man who does all my work (see: viewtopic.php?p=71059#p71059 ) is excellent. He would never pull stunts like that. When you are able to find someone like that, he's worth is weight in gold - and I'm always sure to tip him that way too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Seems to me the authorities are responding appropriately, but an immediate response shouldn't be necessary. Why have such inspections not been conducted as an ongoing procedure, especially in light of the fact this is not the first time something like this has happened? I wonder if this incident has caused a substantial number of tourists to have second thoughts about going to Thailand or what they will be doing for entertainment when they get here.

I hope these inspections will be ongoing at regular timely intervals from now on. It wouldn't be doing much good to inspect now and then the next serious inspection is 20 years from now.

Deputy Governor of Chonburi says fatal Mountain B nightclub fire caused by short circuit, over 500 venues in Pattaya ordered to be checked for safety

By Adam Judd

7 August, 2022

Mr. Naris Niramaiwong, Deputy Governor of Chonburi Province, stated at a meeting this morning, August 7th, in Sattahip that a fatal nightclub fire at the Mountain B nightclub was caused by a short circuit.

The Mountain B nightclub set on fire just after 1AM on Friday, August 5th, killing fifteen people and injuring dozens.

According to Mr. Naris, a short circuit by the music stage caused an explosion and the fire which spread in moments was due to foam used for sound proofing that was not fire proof and easily flammable ceiling tiles. The high fatality count was driven partially by only one main entrance and exit for the venue, with fire exits and rear exits inaccessible, sealed, and/or locked, reportedly due to fears of customers leaving without paying. The large club reportedly had only two fire extinguishers and was not properly licensed as a nightclub but as a restaurant. The venue also had an illegal building extension added. The venue also reportedly had no emergency plans in place or procedures for a fire.

Mr. Naris also said over five hundred venues mostly in Pattaya will be inspected for safety measures by relevant officials and police. Police have toured several major nightclubs on Walking Street the past few nights, TPN notes, but hundreds more will be inspected over the next week or so according to Naris.

Things being looked for in the inspections will be ample fire extinguishers that are updated, clearly lit fire exit signs, fire exits not blocked, sealed, or locked, proper licenses, CCTV working, and more.

According to the Pattaya Police Chief Kunlachart Kunllachai, venues will be required to have fire drills and rehearsals as well as emergency plans.

Meanwhile, the owner of the nightclub, known as Sia B, is in jail this weekend awaiting a first court appearance on Monday, August 8th, under multiple charges relating to the blaze.

Five police officers with jurisdiction over the nightclub were moved to inactive positions pending an investigation on Friday, August 5th and at least one prominent district official has also been moved.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/07/d ... or-safety/