The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Anything and everything about Thailand
Rocket

Re: The Future of Entertainment in Bars

Post by Rocket »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:34 am
Jun wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:37 am as soon as the clothes go on, they are competing with Jomtien.
That is a very good point. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I agree. What's the point of paying go-go bar prices when you can see the same thing in the Jomtien Complex for much less - and a great many more boys too?
I’d rather choose a guy I’m taking off from a go go bar, even if the prices are higher. They don’t have shirts on. In jomtien they do and I don’t like the layout in Jomtien.

It’s hard to view them in a host bar without sitting down and ordering a drink. You might need to go to four or five bars to find someone. You could just stare at the boys from outside but they’re going back and forth and it’s harder finding one. Or they might be engaged already with a customer. I’ve heard others complain about this also.

I guess the advantage is low drink prices and you can get to know them without an obnoxious mama San bothering you. Plus you can play pool in a couple of the bars, ha ha.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:33 pm they’re going back and forth and it’s harder finding one.
Going back and forth? I rarely see that. I see them just sitting there or staring into their mobile phones. I also have no problem about checking them out from outside and deciding if any interest me.

But if you prefer the bars, then that's where you need to go. I just hope next time you're in Pattaya the bars will have enough boys that interest you. If not, I guess you'll either have to use the apps or go to Jomtien Plaza.

On the apps, if they are wearing shirts you might ask for a shirtless photo. Quite often they'll put one or two on their chat, especially if they think you're going to have them drop by for a little "visit". Also, submit a request for their private photos.

Hopefully you won't have any trouble finding boys you like - wherever you do your looking.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Thanks, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble finding boys I like. With Monkey Pox, will they want to have sex with me?

Besides Sunee, Boystown, jomtien host bars, the apps, there’s also the message shops which have high turnover and some real diamonds in the rough.

A guy I’ve known for a few years who runs an outside bar in Jomtien, across from Ants restaurant, introduced me to my best hook up of my last trip. I think it’s called Soda massage. This guy knows I like twinks and he informs me when a cute one is working at one of the massage shops.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:15 pm With Monkey Pox, will they want to have sex with me?
I guess you'll have to find that out. I'd say as long as your wallet is open your chances are very good.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Rocket wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:15 pmWith Monkey Pox, will they want to have sex with me?
more to the point, if they are willing to have sex with you then they are probably willing to have sex with other (potentially infected) foreigners - are you sure you want to have sex with them?

as Groucho Marx reportedly said, "I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:33 pm I’d rather choose a guy I’m taking off from a go go bar, even if the prices are higher. They don’t have shirts on. In jomtien they do and I don’t like the layout in Jomtien.
It’s hard to view them in a host bar without sitting down and ordering a drink.
We all have our preferences. If a Pattaya gogo bar wants to charge me 200 baht per drink or more, I expect to see guys on the stage in nothing more than underwear. For comparison, certain Pattaya girlie gogo bars had nude dancers on stage, with drinks in the 130 baht ballpark (pre-covid).

To be honest, I do most of my dating on Grindr and not in the bars. If you want to pick boys up in Jomtien, I think the best thing to do is to walk up and down & choose the bar with the most interesting set of boys. If that doesn't work, you can usually eye up the boys at nearby bars.
I do admit it's easier to get one off the stage in a gogo bar than a host bar.
Rocket wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:15 pmWith Monkey Pox, will they want to have sex with me?
As long as you don't have visible signs of infection, I can't imagine Monkey Pox would be a factor.
After all, if a Money Boy stops seeing customers, he rapidly needs to find another job.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Actually, if a bar has boys stood on stage in jeans, haven't they effectively given up on the entertainment ?

The bar entertainment ought to be either arty and/or erotic. I don't see jeans as erotic and if they're just stood there, there's no artistic performance.

In which case, the only reason to walk in the door would be to off a boy. So that will reduce the number of customers who are prepared to visit. Those who do visit might be more likely to buy just one drink, as there's nothing to keep them there for any longer than it takes to find a boy.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gogo bars are places you go to see an assortment of boys on display who provide sexual services. Regardless of how the boys are dressed or not dressed - their primary purpose at the bar is focused on showing you their offerings - not to entertain you. There's a very good reason for this: Punters (at least most) don't off a boy from a gogo bar to watch them dance for them back in their room.

The primary purpose of "Showbars" like BBB, Copa, Dorothy's, etc. are to provide "Entertainment". That's a different setting all together, where you can expect to see skilled singers and dancers prancing around the stage in sparkly outfits to "entertain" you.

The majority of boys who drift into places like Pattaya and end up working at gogo bars have never stepped foot on a stage in their lives...let alone dance to a room full of spectators half-nude. They're not trained entertainers - they're farm boys.

I've known several gogo boys who have gone on to become great entertainers over time - but they ultimately move on to entertainment venues once their skills have been honed and the opportunity presents itself.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:56 am They're not trained entertainers - they're farm boys.
While that is true, I don't think they are all that naive or unsophisticated as you might think. I think most who to to work in go-go bars have a very good idea what to expect long before they go. Otherwise how would they even know about the existence of go-go bars in the first place or where they are? I don't know how most of them find out, but they probably hear about it from friends who either are working in the bars or used to work in the bars, but now are back on the rice farm. Back in the "Golden Years" some bars would send recruiters out to the hinterlands and would return with a herd of boy. That doesn't happen anymore, unfortunately.

Also, I doubt any of them start out in the bars as virgins. Most I know, farm boys or not, had plenty of prior experience.

For the boys, in most cases there are two ideas (or dreams). One is to make far more money than they ever had back home. The other is to find a farang benefactor. These days, few succeed with either, but in the old days many did. Some of those relationships are still ongoing.

Some of you may remember a Soi Day-Night bar called Playboy. It lasted until the crackdown on under-age boys began in full force. The oldest boy there was 16 and most of them were making a fortune compared to the rice farm - even compared to the vast majority of Thais. I knew the owners. It was a husband and wife team. The husband was Thai. I forgot his name, but I remember the wife. She was French and went by the name of "Madame". Before her involvement with the Playboy bar, she was the mama-san at Terry's upstairs bar in Boyztown. Anyone remember it? It was originally called Happiness Bar. When Terry closed the go-go portion of the bar he renamed it "My Life for Happiness".

When I asked them why they were running an under-age boy go-go bar, they justified it to me by saying the boys are making a fortune, they get free room and board, and they are all there because they want to be. And that bar was packed with farang customers. Madame actually offered me one of the boys as a birthday present. I did thank her, but turned down the offer. I have a lot of faults, but getting involved in any way with under-age boys was never one of them.

That wasn't the only under-age go-go bar. Remember Gentlemen Club? Remember the Amigo Pub? Remember Boys Studio (or Studio Boys - I never remember which)? They lasted for years until the serious crackdowns began.

The point is even the youngest boys in those bars were experienced before they ever set foot in Pattaya.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:56 am Gogo bars are places you go to see an assortment of boys on display who provide sexual services. Regardless of how the boys are dressed or not dressed - their primary purpose at the bar is focused on showing you their offerings - not to entertain you. There's a very good reason for this: Punters (at least most) don't off a boy from a gogo bar to watch them dance for them back in their room.
I can off boys from gogo bars
I can off boys from host bars
I can find boys on apps

After I've asked the right questions, the app boys have, on average, by far the best performance in bed.
Usually, the gogo bars are the most expensive of the 3 options, so in return, I expect a superior offering when in the bar.
I expect them to actually show us their offerings and for me, that's a good part of the entertainment. Wearing jeans is not my idea of them showing us their offerings.
What I expect is tight white underwear that leaves very little to the imagination. Ideally less than that, as is the case in some girly bars.

As for entertainment, we could consider 3 categories:
1 Gogo bars with no show. e.g. Winner Boys & Toy Boys
2 Gogo bars which have a show for part of the evening. e.g. Dream Boys Pattaya & many of the Bangkok bars
3 Show bars. The Venue etc (The Venue is not a gogo bar, since such things are reportedly not allowed in Jomtien Complex).

Considering #2, these shows typically include awful lady boys singing and some fairly lewd acts, typically with muscle boys and their cocks out. The type of nudity I'd rather see here is twinks dancing in their birthday suits, rather than some muscle guys playing with their cocks under a mosquito net, or some such nonsense.
I usually avoid such shows, as none of the acts really interest me. Bars prefer to clone rather than innovate.
Dodger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:56 am The majority of boys who drift into places like Pattaya and end up working at gogo bars have never stepped foot on a stage in their lives...let alone dance to a room full of spectators half-nude. They're not trained entertainers - they're farm boys.
I think most customers going to watch a "sexy show" in a gogo bar aren't looking for high level performing skills. They would settle for cute, enthusiastic and mostly undressed.
I'm not convinced that getting people to undress is that difficult. A lot depends on where you are. Most people would have no worries at all about walking down a beach in speedos, if that's what everyone else is doing. They would not like wearing those speedos in some shopping centre, as no one else does that.

These days, I also get the impression that most are not farm boys. When I ask about what their parents do, it's usually NOT farming.