Siam Commercial Bank to limit access to only 1 device

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Siam Commercial Bank to limit access to only 1 device

Post by Gaybutton »

I have an account with Siam Commercial Bank. For online banking I've always used both my smartphone and my desktop computer. I also sometimes access it using my tablet.

As of Friday, August 26 they are going to limit use to only 1 device, as a means of security. In my case I don't see any choice other than to select my smartphone because so many transactions today can be paid not only online, but locally via Prompt Pay. Even Makro is allowing Prompt Pay now. If you are not familiar with Prompt Pay or how to use it, when checking out, a QR code is shown by the cashier. You open the online banking app, scan the QR code, and click in whatever needs to be clicked in. That's how you pay and how it works. To prove you paid, a receipt automatically appears on the phone's gallery. After you do it the first time, you'll realize how reliable and simple it is. I now prefer paying by Prompt Pay to paying cash.

No other banks have said anything about limiting use to only one device. My objection is rather than beefing up their security efforts via better software, they are inconveniencing their customers. I fail to see how using their online service via both desktop computer and smartphone harms their security. If it truly does, then don't inconvenience me by limiting me to only my smartphone. How about hiring competent people to figure out the flaws in your own security and fixing it from your end rather than inconveniencing your customers? I guess that's too much to ask.

Received by Email:
Dear SCB EASY App Customer,

To increase security, from 26 August 2022 you can use SCB EASY App on 1 device only (previously maximum 3 devices). If you use more than 1 device, SCB EASY App will automatically ask you to select 1 device to continue using, then the service will not be available on other devices.

For more information, please contact SCB Call Center at 02-777-7777 or e-mail [email protected].

Faithfully yours,
The Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited

This email is auto-generated. Please do not reply. If you have further enquiries, please call 02-777-7777.
Jun

Re: Siam Commercial Bank to limit access to only 1 device

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:29 am No other banks have said anything about limiting use to only one device. My objection is rather than beefing up their security efforts via better software, they are inconveniencing their customers. I fail to see how using their online service via both desktop computer and smartphone harms their security. If it truly does, then don't inconvenience me by limiting me to only my smartphone. How about hiring competent people to figure out the flaws in your own security and fixing it from your end rather than inconveniencing your customers? I guess that's too much to ask.
I agree totally. Make sure SCB hear your feedback.

I've never seen any other bank doing that.

Actually, Multi- Factor-Authentication is becoming more common with banks, stock brokers etc.
They seem to like phones, possibly due to the finger print sensor. If I haven't logged on with a PC for a while, they will send a verification code to the phone, or require me to verify on the phone app.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I have been very happy with Wise formally Transferwise for transferring funds from Capital One bank to my Thai account and use the ACH option however, for security reasons Capital One no longer allows the use of ACH transfers internationally.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:06 pm for security reasons Capital One no longer allows the use of ACH transfers internationally.
I wonder if these banks would ever consider telling us just what these moves are protecting us (or them) from. Just chalking it up to "security reasons" isn't much of an explanation and, in my opinion, not satisfactory. What are they afraid might happen if they don't make these moves, and how do these moves prevent whatever it is they're worried about. If I'm being protected, I'd kind of like to know what I'm being protected from.
Jun

Post by Jun »

As outlined in your opening post, the SCB policy makes no sense at all.

Thankfully I don't use them, but if I did I'd phone up customer services and explain you need both mobile phone and PC based access. If they're reluctant, tell them you're going to take your business to another bank & follow up on that promise.

Many years ago, I remember walking into my UK branch of HSBC, since they issued me with a bilingual cheque book and I wanted one with English only. They said it wasn't possible. Once I threatened to move my business to another bank, suddenly it was possible.

The only serious problem I've had with Kasikorn is they stop the online banking if you don't logon for 3 months. So I phoned them up on Skype and they put it back. I then set up a google calendar reminder to login every 3 months. Which is quite easy on the phone app.

The only other minor confusion came when they moved mobile phone payments from a "Payment" menu to a "Top Up" menu. Just to make it difficult, there is a mobile phone option under "Payment", but apparently that's now only for post paid contracts.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:12 pm I'd phone up customer services and explain you need both mobile phone and PC based access. If they're reluctant, tell them you're going to take your business to another bank
Do you truly believe that would get them to change their policy, especially when the complaint is coming from a farang? They're going to hear from me about it, but unless a miracle occurs, I'm merely wasting my time and whistling in the wind.

If complaints come from enough Thais, maybe they'll listen. From a farang, not a chance.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 pm Do you truly believe that would get them to change their policy, especially when the complaint is coming from a farang?
I doubt one farang complaint would have them change their policy, but if they have the ability to override the restriction for customers who complain, you might just benefit.

Asking banks and other businesses to fix things sometimes works. If the plebs in customer services don't step up to the plate, e-mailing directors is often surprisingly effective. Admittedly, it may depend on who runs the bank.

Customer services were not very helpful in trying to fix a problem with my UK bank. Their advice was to "reinstall the app", which obviously isn't a fix. Of course, I had to try it, but when, as expected, that didn't work, I e-mailed the CEO and founder of the bank, suggesting they do some proper root cause investigation. She had them fix it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:08 pm Asking banks and other businesses to fix things sometimes works.
As I said, I'm going to try. It can't hurt to try. But I'm not expecting to get anywhere.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

increase security, from 26 August 2022 you can use SCB EASY App on 1 device only (previously maximum 3 devices). If you use more than 1 device, SCB EASY App will automatically ask you to select 1 device to continue using, then the service will not be available on other devices.
A question -- is SCB EASY App used on your PC? It is possible they are limiting the use to only one mobile device rather than to PC + mobile devices. If so, then access should be available on both your PC and one device, e.g. mobile phone.

I use Bangkok Bank and log into their Bualuang Banking site when using my PC. I have their Bualuang Mobile App on my iPhone. Currently, I am blocked on my iPhone for using incorrect PIN number too many times but no problem logging on with my PC.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:08 am A question -- is SCB EASY App used on your PC?
I think as far as the bank is concerned the PC is a device. I'll find out when this goes into effect by trying.