Siam Commercial Bank to limit access to only 1 device

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bob

Re: Siam Commercial Bank to limit access to only 1 device

Post by Bob »

Actually, I believe the notice given (via the mobile app) only involves the mobile app. I expect using my PC to do business via the SCB website will remain unchanged.
Edit: The notice only relates to the SCB Easy App.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:49 pm SCB website will remain unchanged.
I hope you're right, but the online banking web site is called SCB Easy Net. I'll certainly be less likely to complain if it turns out you've got it right. Even if that is the case, I still don't see why it would be harmful to their security if I could access my banking on the PC, the smartphone, and the tablet.

Again, even if you're right they are still inconveniencing their customers rather than dealing with whatever the problem is from their end.

I wish they would tell us just what the security problem actually is and how this move solves it.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Do you think this means choose only one device (in my case phone or PC)for evermore OR only one device open at the same time?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:58 pm OR only one device open at the same time?
I'm guessing it means only one device open at the same time. In other words, if I have the app open on my smartphone, if I try to also open it on my tablet or PC, it will tell me to pick one. Then later, if I had picked the smartphone, but the app is not open, if I try to open it on the tablet, I'll get the same message to pick one device and this time can pick the tablet.

I don't know if it's going to allow that kind of switching around, which is why my first pick will be the smartphone. If later I have reason to want to open it on another device, maybe that will require a call to their customer service.

This is typical of what happens - they don't make things clear about how it's going to work and they don't anticipate what their customers are going to want to do. I doubt many people want to have to go through some kind of rigmarole just to open their online banking, so no matter what they do, they're likely to get customer complaints.

These banks are all doing things differently. Sometimes there is no advance warning at all about changes they make. Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank) came up with a new gimmick in which you must have two devices open at the same time. I often do transactions such as paying bills or transferring money to a different bank account via my K-Bank account and I do it from the PC. I enter the information, click the submit button, and bingo - transaction successful.

Not anymore. Now when I try to do these things via K-Bank from my PC, when I hit the submit button it tells me to open the smartphone app where an icon will appear and you have to click it to confirm. Two devices open at the same time. And I never received any warning they were going to do this. If my smartphone isn't working, I suppose I can't do these transactions.

Still, that's better than yesteryear when if you wanted to to a bank transaction you had to physically go to the bank - and the banks would always close before your work day was over. And to pay bills you wrote a check and mailed it in. With modern technology, the last time I had a checking account, or needed one, was when I still lived in the USA.

Technology these days forces people to own a smartphone. I like what I can do with a smartphone, but I definitely don't like what they force me to do with a smartphone.

I did enjoy it when Caller ID first came in. I used to do all kinds of mean things when I could see it was a sales call. One of my favorites was to answer the phone and in the angriest voice I could conjure up, at the top of my lungs yell "Who the FUCK is this?!?!" End of sales call.

Anybody besides me remember the old days, long before Caller ID or anything else, when the only thing you could do with a telephone was talk to someone who was at a different location? In the USA, nowadays do they still even bother with telephone books or yellow pages anymore - or have they too gone the way of Top Value and Green Stamps . . . ?
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Thanks GB, I do hope your guess is correct OR does it make too much sense for Thai bureaucracy?
Bob

Post by Bob »

As noted, the notice about limiting use of the app on a single device is only given on your mobile apps.
I have the SCB mobile app on both my Samsung phone and Samsung tablet (both android apps, of course) and it appears I'll have to choose to use one or the other. Since 99% of the time I use the app on my phone, that choice is easy for me.
On the other hand, I often access via my PC the main SCB website to check balances, obtain statements, transfer funds, etc., and I don't believe my ability to do that will be involved or even relates to the notice given (you'll note there is no similar notice on the SCB main website).
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Bangkokian wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:07 am Thanks GB, I do hope your guess is correct OR does it make too much sense for Thai bureaucracy?
Today, SCB explained it to me:
Thank you for your interest in our services and so sorry if we got back to you so late.
Regarding to your e-mail, ling, please be advised as following step:
The app can link only 1 device (effective on August 28,2022). Please choose only 1 device to use SCB easy app.

So that makes it crystal clear -- as mud.
Jun

Post by Jun »

So a typical work around would be:
1 Use the app on the phone
2 If needing access on a tablet, use the browser version

That's exactly what I do already with all my bank & other financial service accounts, as I haven't bothered installing any such app on a second device.
So I don't know if any restrict app access to one device.

I'm not quite sure where the SCB security problem comes in, but the one obvious difference between apps and web based access is that apps usually permit finger print log in.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:56 pm So that makes it crystal clear -- as mud.
"Of course, dear. What did you expect?"
- Gladys Cooper (Mrs. Higgins), 'My Fair Lady'