Monkey Pox - WHO declares it as an international emergency

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Monkey Pox - WHO declares it as an international emergency

Post by Jun »

Right now, your odds of catching it in Thailand are probably near 0 in 70 million, since as far as we know, no one has it. We could add a little for "unknowns".
Multiply by 1 in 3333 risk of fatality & you're more likely to be struck by lightening.
Currently very low risk, but that could change.

The risk would increase markedly if this gets into the Pattaya money boy population. That's the time when some serious thought would be needed, at least for some members.
Taking all precautions would then presumably involve abstention ?
Possibly for an extended period of time & including no massages etc. Now, how many are going for the abstention option, when there's a 1 in 3333 chance of death and multiplied by a probability of catching it ?
Not me, unless the infection rate is quite high.

The other alternative is vaccination.
The UK is giving out a Smallpox vaccine to high risk individuals. Even if we wanted it, which I don't at present, I suspect board members might struggle to convince the authorities we are high risk. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accination
Thailand has no supplies at present. https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-a ... -from-who/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:57 pm Taking all precautions would then presumably involve abstention ?
That's a good question. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might. I think many of us remember we were faced with the same question when HIV made its appearance. This would be even worse because simple physical contact apparently transmits it.

I would base my decision upon how deeply it gets into whatever population that appeals to me.

There is just too much we don't know yet about this disease and too many unanswered questions. I think we don't even know yet if you are unfortunate enough to catch it, at least are you then immune to catching it again. Survivable is one thing, but do we know if there is any residual permanent damage?

In any case, I am not prepared to find out the hard way just how bad a disease this is, no matter how survivable it may be.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If anyone still wants to downplay the seriousness of Monkey Pox, I suggest you watch this video:

Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Sounds awful! I heard on the news that skin can slough off, in addition to the painful sores.
I’m not downplaying this. My state in the USA doesn’t have the vaccine. I’m trying to get it.

If it comes to Thailand, I wouldn’t be surprised if they shut down all gay bars. I’ll try to hook up with one guy and stop butterflying.