Which is the best restaurant in Thailand? See what Michelin says

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Which is the best restaurant in Thailand? See what Michelin says

Post by Gaybutton »

Do you have your own opinions? Please post.

Also, which Thailand restaurant do you think is the best for farang food (and the first one who says McDonald's gets thrown off the board . . .)

Thailand’s Sorn named 39th best restaurant in the world

by The Nation

July 21, 2022

Michelin award winning southern Thai restaurant Sorn has been ranked 39th among the world’s best restaurants for 2022, the highest ranking ever achieved by a Thai establishment and the first time a restaurant in the country has made it into the top 50 list.

The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022 award ceremony was held in London on Monday (July 18) by William Reed Business Media. The 50 were decided by voters from around the world.

The fine-dining restaurant already has the distinction of winning not one but two Michelin stars.

Sorn head chef Supaksorn Jongsiri, also known as “Chef Ice”, received the William Reed award at Monday’s event together with 10 staff members, who had helped create exceptional fare inspired by Thailand’s southern traditional cuisine.

“It’s unbelievable that we are the first Thai restaurant to make the top 50 list,” Supaksorn said ecstatically. “Our food has received the highest ranking in the Thai authentic category in the 20-year history of the award,” he pointed out.

“I am overwhelmingly thankful to my team. We would have not made it this far without support from the dedicated team at Sorn restaurant. I am also thankful to Thai farmers and fishermen who have consistently supplied us with top quality ingredients,” the chef said.

“I would also like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart who have supported Sorn restaurant over the years. This award is truly a gift for Thailand,” he added.

In recognising Sorn, Michelin had said:

“The team at Sorn delivers an impressive interpretation of Southern Thai cuisine with a focus on long-lost recipes and local culinary wisdom… Cooking is refined and sophisticated and dishes mostly slow-cooked, with even the soup double-boiled for six hours.”

Sorn is located in Soi Sukhumvit 26 (Ari), Khlong Toei, Bangkok.

This year’s Best Restaurant 2022 title went to Danish gourmet restaurant Geranium, with Peru’s Central Restaurante claiming second place and Spain’s Disfrutar coming third.

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/40017986

See also:

https://www.facebook.com/Sorn-%E0%B8%A8 ... 098291382/

https://www.instagram.com/sornfinesouthern/
Gaybutton

Re: Which is the best restaurant in Thailand? See what Michelin says

Post by Gaybutton »

I have my own opinion about the best farang restaurant in Pattaya. For me, no hesitation or question about it - Au bon Coin. Others may disagree, but it is definitely my favorite. He has not opened every day for a long time now. I think he's open Thursday through Sunday.

His web site is: http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/chef.htm

But I think you'll find better information and reviews by doing a Google search.

My favorite Thai restaurant is actually a bit south of Pattaya in Bang Saray - Dodger's stomping grounds. Preecha Seafood. Again it is best to look it up on Google. They don't have a web site, but plenty of photos and reviews via Google. It is located along the beach, right near the fishing boat pier. There are several seafood restaurants in that area and all are excellent, but in my opinion Preecha Seafood is the best of all. If you like seafood and can get there, I think it's well worth the trip.

Within Pattaya I don't have a favorite Thai restaurant. There are too many excellent ones and for me I am unable to narrow it down to just one. Maybe some of you can help out with making that choice.
Jun

Post by Jun »

My favourite restaurant in Thailand is stall 7 on the vegetarian food court in the MBK centre, Bangkok. Very tasty and a good portion. The fact that a meal typically costs 60 baht is a bonus, but hasn't influenced my decision. Their food is far better than some of the food costing 10 times as much from certain farang restaurants. So if the price were the same, I'd still prefer the MBK option.
The next best is in Chiang Mai.

Pattaya is far more challenged. Thammachat Vegetarian is about the best, on Soi Paniad Chang in North Pattaya. After that, keep walking and have an afternoon coffee at the outstanding Backstreet House Coffee shop.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

I have couple of favourites in Pattaya.
Cafe Des Amis, it is expensive
so should be good but it is my special occasion restaurant for me and my partner.

and Au Bon Coin I really like the ambiance it definitely has a French country bistro vibe
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

It's all quite subjective and based on a limited sampling of what's on offer from a huge number of restaurants. Some of my regular favorites over the years changed management and went to hell in a hand basket generally followed by closure. Here are some places that I like.

By category:

Best French in Pattaya: Au Bon Coin and Cafe Des Amis ( but not strictly French)
in Bangkok: Le Bouchon

Best Southern American BBQ: In Bangkok: No contest, The Smokin Pug (very popular, booking needed)
In Pattaya Smokin Jo's but a far second from the Pug

Best Burger: In Bangkok or Pattaya, Arnos (good steaks too)

Best American Dinner: In Pattaya, Route 66, no one else comes near
In Chiang Mai, Dukes (used to be one in Bangkok now closed)

Best German: In Bangkok, Ratsstub and G's on Silom 4

Best British Pub Grub: Bangkok, O'Shea"s( Soi 33 Suk) and Checkers (soi 4 Suk)
Pattaya, The Sportsman (13 Beach Rd)

Best Buffet: Bangkok, Goji (soi 22 Suk) very expensive but better than similar ones on the river. The Red Oven, Rama 4

Best Indian: Bangkok, The Indian Kitchen (Suk 23)

Best Mexican: Pattaya, Mikes and Sue's
Bangkok, Monsoon

Best Italian: Used to be Via Vie in Bangkok but they lost the lease on Suk 8 and moved to a real remote and hard to get to location off On Nut.
Now I am looking around. Best Italian now is at my own kitchen here in Bangkok.

Best Tapas Bangkok, Pride and on the river at Siam Icon ground floor, several places. Vespar on Soi Covent

Best Thai Bangkok, Waterside. I also go to this open air place on Rama 3 at Nara, no real name but lots and lots of customers. Grilled chicken is good.

Best Steak, Bangkok, The Huntsman Landmark hotel Suk and at Marriott District Room

Best Pizza: Bangkok, Vesuvio
Pattaya, Bronx