John Houlihan has died

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

John Houlihan has died

Post by Gaybutton »

This morning I was informed via PM that John Houlihan has died. I have no further information than that at this time.

John was a very long term resident of Pattaya and quite well known on the Sunee Plaza gay scene.

Those of you who knew John also knew he had been suffering an array of maladies over the years. The last time I saw him was three or four months ago. We encountered each other in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. I was there for a checkup and John was there getting treatment and prescriptions. He was obviously quite ill then.

If any of you can provide any information, please post or if you prefer, send me a PM and I'll post it for you. Of course if I am able to obtain any information myself, it will be posted. Also, if anyone has any photos of John, that would be very helpful.
windwalker

Re: John Houlihan has died

Post by windwalker »

John had open heart surgery to replace a valve in his heart at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.
Although the surgery was successful apparently he suffered a stroke which left him paralyzed on one side of his body. He remained in the hospital for over one month, until his death, and was accompanied much of that time by his Thai friend Nat. Apparently his sister in the USA has been notified and funeral arrangements are pending.

As a reminder to all those living in Thailand, do have a designated surrogate who can speak and act on your behalf in case of an emergency.
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Windwalker … I would appreciate it if you would expand on your last paragraph … who, what, when, how … I agree with you that this would be very important, but the questions abound.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Windwalker: Thank you for the update.

I was aware of John's hospitalization and knew he was facing some tough times, but something like this is always shocking and very saddening.

Like many of the members here, I knew John for many years...always enjoyed his company...and will miss him.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

John was a very nice man and I will miss him. He knew the odds going into this surgery at his age and health were not good but he said he had no choice. He told me he had thoroughly researched and googled all the dangers and complications of this surgery and when he recounted his finding it was shocking and scary. I did not know what to say.

It wasn't just a valve replacement but full open heart surgery with stopping the heart and going on a heart lung machine to reconstruct his aorta. John was an intelligent and sharp man who went into this with his eyes wide open.

John and I had a special bond both being from Boston.

RIP John
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have been informed that John died either July 14 or 15. My friend wasn't certain which, but obviously this occurred very recently.

Does anyone have a photo of him? I'm sure many more would recognize him from a photo than those who recognize the name.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:09 am Windwalker … I would appreciate it if you would expand on your last paragraph … who, what, when, how … I agree with you that this would be very important, but the questions abound.
The "how" is the most important item regarding a surrogate. You can have a living Will in Thailand which most hospitals should have an appropriate form. You can use that to appoint a surrogate to act on your behalf if hospitalized. Otherwise, you can have a written statement authorizing another person to act on your behalf in case of an emergency. Or have a power of attorney designating someone to act upon your behalf.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:16 pm The "how" is the most important item regarding a surrogate. You can have a living Will in Thailand which most hospitals should have an appropriate form. You can use that to appoint a surrogate to act on your behalf if hospitalized. Otherwise, you can have a written statement authorizing another person to act on your behalf in case of an emergency. Or have a power of attorney designating someone to act upon your behalf.
At Bangkok Pattaya Hospital on the main floor there is an office called Patient Services, there you can obtain the form, it is more of a healthcare directive, on the form you answer pertinent questions such as do not resuscitate, medicate for pain only, do not force feed etc. you can name someone to act for you as per the directive or just sign it and witness it and your signature alone will validate the directive should it become necessary. When a foreigner dies in a Thai hospital no autopsy is necessary however, if one dies at home an autopsy is mandatory.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I received this photo of John Houlihan in an Email. Not exactly a great photo, and some may not recognize him from it, but so far this is the only one anybody has come up with.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The latest information I have is John's sister in the USA is working on funeral and cremation arrangements, probably in Pattaya. The information will be posted when it becomes available.

For those of you in Pattaya who go to the Thursday "Fine Dining Society" dinners, a toast and farewell is planned for the July 21 dinner.