Babylon in Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
astex

Babylon in Bangkok

Post by astex »

Hello
I plan to go to bangkok early next year and it would be a first time for me.
My friends who have already been there tell me that I should absolutely have to go to Babylon.
Some posts suggest that the Babylon is permanently closed. True or false?
(a lot of website indicates that it's still open...)

If the Babylon is closed which other sauna would you recommend to me for a tourist?

Thanks a lot
Jun

Re: Babylon in Bangkok

Post by Jun »

I rarely visit saunas in Thailand, as the kind of lads I'm looking for are often discouraged from operating there.

However, this blog should be of use.

https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2022/05/
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Babylon has been closed for some time (2 years). It is permanent.
I would recommend Sauna Mania which is not far from the gay area (Soi 4).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:07 pm I would recommend Sauna Mania
Can you give us some details about it such as prices, facilities, farang friendly, boys interested in farang, best time to go, etc?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I can also confirm that Babylon has permanently closed.

You definitely want to consult ChristianPFC's blog. You will find highly detailed information about anywhere you want to go in Thailand. Christian has been doing his blog for years. If you have plenty of time, I suggest reading every word of it. If not, his blog is well indexed. ChristianPFC is also a member of this board and both the GayGuides and the Sawatdee boards. You can always send him a PM. I believe he always quickly responds.

https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

It's true that Babylon has been closed since the outbreak of COVID but the building is still there and is being maintained. Some have posted that the building is gone, not true. Others posted it was turned into a French restaurant, not exactly true. https://m.facebook.com/lebouchonbangkok/ moved into a space that was next to the original Babylon 1986-2000. I personally went by Babylon a few weeks ago and there was a guard out front who did not know anything. There were cleaning crews working and the owner's cars were still parked just inside the car park area to the left of the front door. So, what does all this mean? Will Babylon reopen, is it being maintained to sell, will it continue as a gay sauna or be repurposed. I have no idea and no one I ask has a clue. The building was crazy costly to build and given the the owner was rich it was not designed as a for profit business. Will someone else come along and continue the tradition? Wait and see.

Other saunas:

The newest is Krubb https://www.gaysaunabangkok.com/ Relatively easy to get to if you use google maps. BTS Phra Khanong and wind down narrow sois, left, left and left. Very limited parking. 290B entry, food and drinks available. It's 5 floors and no lifts. First floor is reception where you're given an electronic key and a locker number. Second floor there are around 300 lockers, showers and another reception for condoms and a very small towel. Take as many as you want. Floor 3 and 4 are cruise and hook-up rooms, nooks and chair areas of various degrees of dim lighting. Floor 5 is a large quite hot pool, a bar, dry sauna, steam, and a group shower room. The place was sparkling clean.

The attendees on my visit 9 July (1700-2100) were what I assume are middle class Thai in their 20's and above but noting in the middle age and old age range. Around 50 customers I would estimate. Eye candy galore. The same crowd as R3 and Sauna Mania but with out the duel pricing for anyone over 45 years of age. I would assume that they get the odd farang here and there but none when I was there other then a very brief visit from a Thai/farang couple with matching long dicks.

The dress code varies from night to night at Krubb as does R3 and Mania. Most cruise around in underwear, a few manage to get the small towel around their waist, some walk around holding the small towel around the goods and a very few let it all hang out and sway about. Most keep a mask on and only take it off in the shower, sauna, pool and sex. Full Monty seemed to be the norm for the pool and sauna but most use a hand or two to cup the package when moving about, it's a Thai thing.

So, the big question, will an average farang get lucky at Krubb or R3, possibly but not probability.

Heaven Sauna http://www.heavensauna.com/ This is rather small compared to Krubb. It has all that one would expect in a gay sauna. The attendees tend to be middle aged and well fed. Mostly Thais but some farangs who might hook up if your standards are more to the over 40 age groups. A young Thai will enter from time to time and gets a lot of attention from the older Thai gentlemen.

I would think that we have to wait until COVID is a thing of the past to evaluate the Bangkok saunas. None of the saunas in Bangkok are designed for or attract farang sex tourists like Babylon did. Again, wait and see....

Once tourist numbers get back to pre COVID numbers I do wonder where the prior sauna usual Babylon visitors will go assuming Babylon remains closed. Babylon packed in a lot of gay Asian tourists from the surrounding less liberal country's. Someplace has to fill the void, so to speak. I would guess either Krubb or Chakran. Neither are the size of Babylon.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

In Pattaya the only gay sauna I know of is Sansuk Sauna. Unfortunately it is still closed, but supposedly will reopen. I have seen no announcement letting us know when that might be.

I doubt he will reopen until he can be reasonably assured of sufficient customer numbers to at least break even. I don't think he can rely on an expat crowd. I virtually never hear local expats even mentioning Sansuk and for me it would be a once in a blue moon stop (unless I hear that a lot of farang hunting boys are frequenting - Then I'd be there more often). If Pattaya gets a good gay farang crowd, my guess would be he would consider reopening during high season.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 pm In Pattaya the only gay sauna I know of is Sansuk Sauna.
I got the impression that Sansuk Sauna was struggling even before covid. Not that many customers and some of the maintenance and upkeep was lacking. Even the Jacuzzi had cold water, which might work for some of the year, but certainly is unsatisfactory during one of those cool spells in December.

I don't even understand why Sansuk should expect to succeed.
A good proportion of the tourists and expats must be interested in local lads under 30. However, as even the locals are charged full price for entry and prostitution is discouraged, there are almost no locals in there. You need bait to catch fish.

I don't go to Pattaya to chase after people of my own age in a sauna & suspect I am not alone. The only question is are there enough people who are interested in that to make the place viable.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Certainly, the ORIGINAL Babylon building on the corner of the soi is now le Bouchon French restaurant.
Moved from it's years old property in Patpong2.
It has excellent French food served by very friendly staff.
They now occupy the ground floor but future plans include expanding upstairs to the first floor.
They open lunch and dinner times.
I was late for my meeting and just told the motor cycle taxi boy "Babylon" -- he understood.
astex

Post by astex »

Thank you all for all your replies, very appreciated!
I have a good idea for the status of sauna and Bangkok!