Another vaccine I've never heard of

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Another vaccine I've never heard of

Post by Gaybutton »

Until this article I've never heard of LAAB. If anyone knows anything about it, please post. I have a feeling those of us in the higher risk group - in other words "the elderly" are going to be urged to get it as a fourth or fifth booster once it becomes available. Several of us just got our third or fourth booster, so I imagine it will be several months before we will be eligible for yet another booster if we want it.

Thailand to buy less AstraZeneca but more LAAB

By Pattaya Mail

July 2, 2022

Thailand now has enough COVID-19 vaccine supply and the COVID-19 situation has also continued to improve.

In order to adjust its plan in line with the present situation, the Department of Disease Control decided to reduce its AstraZeneca vaccine procurement from 60 million doses to 35.4 million doses, with a budget of 11 billion baht.

The Cabinet also allowed the department to acquire 257,500 doses of long-acting antibody (LAAB) for the price of 7.6 billion baht. LAAB will be used to prevent sickness for high-risk groups.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... aab-402902
2lz2p

Re: Another vaccine I've never heard of

Post by 2lz2p »

Per Dr Google:
AstraZeneca's Evusheld (tixagevimab co-packaged with cilgavimab), a long-acting antibody (LAAB) combination, has received emergency use authorisation (EUA) in the US for the pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) of COVID-19, with first doses expected to become available very soon.Dec 8, 2021

Evusheld (formerly AZD7442) long-acting antibody ... https://www.astrazeneca.com › media-centre › press-releases
Jun

Re: Another vaccine I've never heard of

Post by Jun »

I believe antibody treatments are not actually vaccines, since a vaccine is supposed to stimulate the production of your own antibodies

For those of us who have had vaccines and have immune systems that still fight off other viruses, I guess we don't need this.

However, I'm no expert.