Nice Boys is not Nice Boys

Anything and everything about Thailand
Rocket

Nice Boys is not Nice Boys

Post by Rocket »

All these years we’ve been calling it Nice Boys when it’s really called Night Boys. That’s what the owner of the bar calls it on his Facebook page. And there’s a sign inside which says Night Boys.

I can understand the lost in translation of it. Both words similar. But I think the boys that work there would not like to think of themselves as nice.
Undaunted

Re: Nice Boys is not Nice Boys

Post by Undaunted »

Rocket wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 pm All these years we’ve been calling it Nice Boys when it’s really called Night Boys. That’s what the owner of the bar calls it on his Facebook page. And there’s a sign inside which says Night Boys.
Huh?

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 pm That’s what the owner of the bar calls it on his Facebook page.
I can't find what you are referring to. Can you post a link please?
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I’ll try to add a photo using the Imgur site. Right now it’s not working.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Rocket wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 pm All these years we’ve been calling it Nice Boys when it’s really called Night Boys. That’s what the owner of the bar calls it on his Facebook page.
Beer is aging.
Jun

Post by Jun »

No sign at all of references to "Night Boys" on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NICEBOYSCLUB/? ... e_internal

I've thought "Rough Boys" would be a more appropriate name, although this is of course a matter of personal taste.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm No sign at all of references to "Night Boys" on their facebook page.
When you get right down to it, does it really matter what the name of the bar is? If you like that bar and those boys, for all I would care the name could be The Women's Christian Temperance Union - it would still be the place to go.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I suppose we didn't go to Euro Boys (gogo) for European boys or to Funny Boys for the comedy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:07 pm Funny Boys for the comedy.
It has been my experience that the Thai boys don't think of the word "funny" as we do. Somehow our English word "fun" became "funny" to the Thai boys. So, to the Thais, Funny Boys probably means Fun Boys.

For me, if our interpretation of "funny" enters into it, I have my little laugh when a boy tries to insist on a much larger tip than I am willing to give.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:13 pmIt has been my experience that the Thai boys don't think of the word "funny" as we do. Somehow our English word "fun" became "funny" to the Thai boys. So, to the Thais, Funny Boys probably means Fun Boys.
That would explain it.