Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pm Does anybody truly believe tea money is the answer?
Yes.
Once an organisation has crossed the line and started collecting bribes, nothing stops them collecting more bribes. The local police seem to do an awful lot of it.
The widespread & endemic collection of tea money by the local police is beyond doubt.
Now since they collect such money, can you tell me one reason why bribes wouldn't influence the decision making ?

We have seen numerous cases of a somewhat "selective" approach to enforcing the law.

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pm These motorbike maniacs are what might be labelled a clear and present danger and as far as I can tell nobody in authority is giving a damn or intends to do anything serious about it. Why? What really is going on?
Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 pmWho is being naive?
Who is being naive ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:06 pm can you tell me one reason why bribes wouldn't influence the decision making ?
No, I can't. Bribes definitely would influence decision making - that is if bribes have anything to do with this in the first place. Again, other than your own supposition, I know of no evidence that bribes is the answer. If it is bribes, who is offering the bribes? For how much? Who is accepting the bribes and is in a position to order the police to ignore what is going on?

If I am wrong, then why is anyone offering bribes to the police to let this go on? Who gains enough by these goings on to be motivated to bribe the entire police department or its top officials to ignore it and would be able to offer enough money to make it happen?

If you actually believe it, fine with me. Believe what you want. I don't believe it for a second. I don't know why this problem is being ignored, but I'm not convinced it is because of bribes. To me that doesn't make any sense.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:36 pm If it is bribes, who is offering the bribes? For how much? Who is accepting the bribes and is in a position to order the police to ignore what is going on?

If I am wrong, then why is anyone offering bribes to the police to let this go on? Who gains enough by these goings on to be motivated to bribe the entire police department or its top officials to ignore it and would be able to offer enough money to make it happen?

If you actually believe it, fine with me. Believe what you want. I don't believe it for a second. I don't know why this problem is being ignored, but I'm not convinced it is because of bribes. To me that doesn't make any sense.
To answer your question, this thread has already contained at least two alternative hypotheses:
Udaunted: Motorcycle hire companies pay the bribes
Jun: The feckless police go where the easy money is and there are easier and more compliant targets to go after for bribes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:02 pm To answer your question, this thread has already contained at least two alternative hypotheses
For me, that answers nothing. It's only guessing. At least you finally acknowledge it for what it is - hypotheses. Same for what I think - only guessing. All we actually know is the fact that this still goes on virtually unchecked. What we don't know is why. I think what both you and Undaunted are saying is too simple to explain it. I believe the real reason is much more complicated. If this was going on anywhere else in Pattaya, the police would be right there to stop it. Articles are published frequently about motorbike racing in other areas of Pattaya and the police confiscate the motorbikes, fine the offenders, and often arrest them. But around Sunee Plaza, despite this going on day and night, nothing. If you want to insist that mere tea money and going elsewhere to collect it is what explains it, go right ahead, but good luck trying to convince me of that. To me, that idea is utter nonsense.

Whatever the reason, I am writing this at 8:20pm, Thailand time. I am at home, nowhere near Sunee plaza. But it's a safe bet that the motorbike maniacs are racing up and down the Sunee Plaza sois right now, this very moment, and nobody in authority is doing a thing about it.

The same thing, day after day after day, night after night after night.

Honore: You can hear every tree almost say 'look at me'.
Gaston: What color are the trees?
Honore: Green.
Gaston: What color were they last year?
Gaston: And next year?
Gaston: It's a bore!
- Honore (Maurice Chevalier), Gaston (Louis Jourdan), 'Gigi'
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Perhaps the cops are being clever?

Soi Yensabai and Sunee Plaza have been deserted for a few years now. There is some life coming back but very little.

And who are the people complaining? I’ve seen very few local people in the area and we regularly read here about how dire the gay bar situation is in Sunee Plaza.

Many gays don’t even bother going there any more. If it wasn’t for Winner Bar....

It these idiots are stopped from running wild in that area they will only move to another, probably busier area.

Maybe the police have decided to leave them be in the Sunee area as the best/worst solution?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gerefan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:59 pm Perhaps the cops are being clever?

Soi Yensabai and Sunee Plaza have been deserted for a few years now. There is some life coming back but very little.
I read the situation similar to you.

Those sois have been a ghost town for 2-1/2 years - with almost all of the shops along all 3 Soi Yensabai's being closed and gathering dust. The Arab school break has resulted in a reversal in the area and the two large Arab hotels...two large Arab restaurants...and several Arab coffee shops in this somewhat confined area are now packed with customers. At least this is what I see during my daytime visits in the area.

The few Thai shops which are still open in this area (few as there are), and the residents in this area, certainly have a lot to complain about...no argument there, but unless there's some tea money greasing the wheels the BIB aren't going to jump in and stop the $$money$$ flow.

My guess is that $$money$$ has already passed hands from the motorbike rental businesses (and possibly other businesses in the area), to the BIB, who, after remaining penniless during the pandemic, are starving for pocket money to feed their mistresses.

It's all about the $$money$$. It always is in Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know if this is a second effort or just another version of the same story that came out a couple days ago. If it is a second effort, now that the problem is getting publicity, maybe the police will finally do something to put an end to it. I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Annoying Arab/Indian motorcycle gang busted by Pattaya traffic police

July 16, 2022

Thai Rath reported that the Muang Pattaya traffic police set up roadblocks to stop a large gang of Arab and Indian motorcyclists annoying residents following complaints.

The gang was revving engines, sounding horns and driving in a negligent fashion.

Checkpoints were set up by Pol Maj Arut Saphanon in Soi VC, Soi Yen Sabai and at the second road intersection in south Pattaya.

The annoyance from the foreigners was happening every day as they rode their rented motorcycles around without a care in the world, said the media.

Most were Kuwaitis and Indians.

Ten were booked for not having licences, six for failing to wear helmets, four for not having documentation and four for not having tax.

Motorcycles were seized and fines issued.

Story and photo: https://aseannow.com/topic/1266074-anno ... ic-police/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

This looks like a new effort which appears to have some teeth.

About time!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

This is good news and is the second time the police have acted recently.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Business as usual:

A Kuwaiti motorbike racer driving in a group of four other foreigners crashed into a stationary pickup truck in Pattaya and suffered several injuries. Nobody, however, reportedly cooperated with the police, so all five bikes were impounded.

The accident occurred in the early morning of August 18th on Jomtien Beach Road at the entry of Soi 9 in Banglamung. Sawang Boriboon rescue services assisted one Kuwaiti racer who crashed his rented Honda PCX bike into a stationary Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck on the side of the road and hurt himself.

According to reports, the Kuwaiti man suffered a serious head injury and scrapes and did not provide his name to the police who arrived later and tried to initially refuse medical treatment. His four foreign friends who were with him only shouted incomprehensibly at rescue workers, police, and reporters, and refused to tell officers which bike they rode, so the Pattaya police officers decided to impound all five bikes.

None of the men were able to provide licenses, insurance, registration, rental documentation, or other mandatory documents to legally drive in Thailand, although it was unclear if they refused to cooperate or did not have the requested items as they only continued to yell at officials in a foreign language. The men also did not appear to have been using motorbike helmet.

A Thai resident who witnessed the accident told law enforcement officials that he saw the Kuwaiti men racing in a group with his friends around 3.40 a.m. The injured man then tried to overtake a freight tricycle but lost his balance and crashed into a pickup truck, resulting in his hospitalization.

Initially, the police would review CCTV footage to identify the cause of the accident. Also, the police would attempt to identify the person who rented the bikes to these Kuwaiti people. However, it was unclear if they would face legal action or not. The four friends of the injured man were detained and taken to a local police station for further questioning, but as of press time were continuing to be uncooperative.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/18/k ... th-police/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"