Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 am Business as usual
"Of course, dear. What did you expect?"
- Gladys Cooper (Mrs. Higgins), 'My Fair Lady'
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 am A Thai resident who witnessed the accident told law enforcement officials that he saw the Kuwaiti men racing in a group with his friends around 3.40 a.m. The injured man then tried to overtake a freight tricycle but lost his balance and crashed into a pickup truck, resulting in his hospitalization.
Sometimes people get what they deserve.

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 am The four friends of the injured man were detained and taken to a local police station for further questioning, but as of press time were continuing to be uncooperative.
Assuming the 4 friends were also engaged in any illegal activity, such as riding bikes with no helmets or racing, they ought to be kept in the cells until they do cooperate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 pm Sometimes people get what they deserve.
It's what sometimes is referred to as "instant karma". GOOD! I'm sorry the guy was injured, but he did it to himself. If he had simply been obeying common sense rules like he was supposed to, it would not have happened. Sorry, but I won't be shedding tears or sending flowers.

These people will never stop unless law enforcement truly cracks down and stops not only them, but also penalizes the businesses that rent to these guys, knowing damned well what they are going to do. If they want to rent bikes, fine - let it be the kind they have to pedal. And even then I wouldn't surprised if they still ride like idiots.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:49 pm
Jun wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 pm Sometimes people get what they deserve.
These people will never stop unless law enforcement truly cracks down and stops not only them, but also penalizes the businesses that rent to these guys, knowing damned well what they are going to do. If they want to rent bikes, fine - let it be the kind they have to pedal. And even then I wouldn't surprised if they still ride like idiots.
Focusing on those that do the renting out of the bikes is key, simply they should be forced to see and make a copy of a valid motorcycle international driver’s license and along with a copy of the renters passport to be kept on hand and available for inspection to the authorities adding failure to do so will result in the permanent confiscation of any motorbike that is rented out and is unable to produce a said license.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:04 pm Focusing on those that do the renting out of the bikes is key
I agree. And I think there should be very strong penalties for motorbike rental shops that don't comply - such as confiscating all their motorbikes, shutting them down for 6 months, and heavy fines - if not paid the motorbikes get sold.

Without severe penalties there is no incentive for the rental shops to stop renting to these morons.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I roamed Soi Yensaibai yesterday and it was quiet as a mouse.

Either they've vanished and returned to school - or they all had hangovers at the same time. In any event, it sure was nice to be able to navigate that area without having to dodge the lunatics with their insane driving habits.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

I was on my bike going home from Sunee about 10pm. There were many people still driving unsafely. One person was just trying to turn and almost fell off his bike becasue he did not understand how to use the bike's brakes.
Pattayamale
Living happily
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:05 pm I roamed Soi Yensaibai yesterday and it was quiet as a mouse.
They mostly sleep during the day and are out and about from evening till the wee hours of the morning…..if you drive by the hotels that they frequent during the day their rented bikes are scattered outside, none less than 20 at a time.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

See also: viewtopic.php?p=108157#p108157

Pattaya residents and social media upset about overnight foreign motorbike racers disturbing the peace

By Tanakorn Panyadee

22 August, 2022

A large group of what appears to be Middle Eastern tourists with over 30 motorbikes allegedly blocked parts of Sukumvit Road to illegally race motorbikes.

Local media today in the early morning, August 22nd, reported about a group of foreign motorcyclists who gathered in front of the Esso gas station in South Pattaya to drive around the city, unnecessarily honk horns, and disturb peace in the neighborhood.

The group of around 30 racers also blocked a portion of Sukhumvit Road in South Pattaya to race their motorcycles without a care for other drivers who may want to share the road, according to local media. This action outraged numerous Thais and foreign tourists who resided close to the street or the rendezvous of these foreign racers, prompting a question of where the law enforcement officials were when they were needed.

So far, many measures such as regularly inspecting motorbike rental shops, checking required documents and driving licenses of foreigners, and coordinating with hotel operators to warn tourists not to drive recklessly have been enforced by Pattaya Police.

However, many Pattaya residents still urged the authorities to be stricter to deter any possible harm that may be inflicted on innocent people or the racing tourists themselves.

TPN notes that late night racing has been an issue for some time in Pattaya and is not just limited to foreign tourists, with many issues with large groups of Thai youth also racing around the city.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/22/p ... the-peace/

a question of where the law enforcement officials were when they were needed.
I think most of us are probably familiar with "There's never one around when you need them."
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I re-visited Soi Yensabai again yesterday to have coffee with friends and couldn't believe my eyes. THEY ARE BACK ! Not only was the soi swamped with them again, it appeared as if there were even more than before.

For some strange reason these guys looked a little different to me. The mob that' was here before had guys who mostly had black hair...hairy arms... and sported mustaches. This new mob have predominantly lighter brown-colored hair...less hair on their arms... and not many were sporting mustaches. Much prettier than the other group.

They must be from different tribes.