How to advise Thai friend

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daleinpattaya

How to advise Thai friend

Post by Daleinpattaya »

I am going today to get my 2nd booster (Pfizer) … to Royal Garden … Thai friend joining me for shopping and lunch … he has had one Covid jab … then got Covid with 10-day government quarantine … I suggested that he get his 2nd jab with me today… his reply "I’m afraid" … to me, that is unreasonable … but he is an adult … so I really don’t know how to advise him … any suggestions?? Are folks who have had Covid in any way immune from getting it again??
Gaybutton

Re: How to advise Thai friend

Post by Gaybutton »

Don't try to be the one giving him advice. I would have him talk to some of the injection staff. Once he does, I think he won't be afraid.

Just out of curiosity, did he say what he is afraid of?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 am Are folks who have had Covid in any way immune from getting it again??
Plenty of people who have had covid get it again and again. Catching covid just improves resistance. Unless he's had covid very recently, he ought to get a booster.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:57 pm Plenty of people who have had covid get it again and again. Catching covid just improves resistance. Unless he's had covid very recently, he ought to get a booster.
You seem to think as long as you've had the injections, Covid is a big nothing. My female cousin in Las Vegas, who has been a nurse all her life and has had the injections, caught Covid anyway. The following is the most recent Email I received from her.
2 weeks in with Covid. Still very sick. The symptoms come and go, really insidious. You think you’re getting better, than you have a bad day.
Thank Goodness, my senses of smell and taste have returned! It really ravages your lungs, I still have a deep cough.
I don’t wish Covid on anyone. It is nothing like a bad cold or flu to me. It is something that wants to kill you, never experienced this, and I’ve seen viruses in people in Africa. I really believe this is bio warfare, meant to kill or weaken humanity. Who knows? I just want to live, and never get it again!!!!
If anyone thinks it is not such a serious, frightening illness, tell that to her.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:19 pm You seem to think as long as you've had the injections, Covid is a big nothing.
You're slightly misinterpreting what I'm saying.
People who have had the covid injections are very unlikely to end up with severe illness. Many don't even know they have it. So in many cases, it IS like nothing.

Of course, as with everything, there is variation and some are less lucky than others. Nothing guarantees we are not one of the unlucky ones.
I'm sorry to hear your cousin is one of the unlucky few and hope she recovers quickly.

Among my family and acquaintances, the severe problems were all pre-vaccine. Since vaccination, all their cases have been relatively mild.

We are fortunate to be living in an era where the technology exists to develop vaccines quickly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:05 pm People who have had the covid injections are very unlikely to end up with severe illness.
Ok, tell me that if you ever get Covid.

Whether you realize it or not, you do come across as being complacent about it. I take it much more seriously. I've had my 4th injection now. I hope I never have to find out the hard way just how bad it really is.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:50 pm Ok, tell me that if you ever get Covid.

Whether you realize it or not, you do come across as being complacent about it. I take it much more seriously. I've had my 4th injection now. I hope I never have to find out the hard way just how bad it really is.
I might die from covid, but it doesn't stop me from being rational.

1 Covid is about the 6th highest cause of death in the UK (May 22)

2 This figure is distorted by all the anti-vaxxers volunteering to die from covid. Almost 60% of covid deaths. If we consider the causes of death amongst those of us who take all the vaccines, covid isn't even in the top 10.

3 I strongly expect covid is also outside the top 10 causes of death in Thailand*, due to fewer cases and they are quite good at finding other ways of dying. [*Considering only the vaccinated]

Now let's be rational. If you spend all that time worrying about covid, do you spend even more time worrying about all the other things that are more likely to kill you ?

Not me. I take my vaccines. I even spend a little time trying to figure out which is the best.
But I see no reason to worry about covid ahead of all the other things which are more likely to kill me.

Incidentally, if I might briefly refer back to the thread topic, why not present the Thai friend with some data showing hospitalization or death rates for vaxxed v unvaxxed ? (Such as the hospitalization graph I posted on the other thread today)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 pm If you spend all that time worrying about covid
Once again we're getting way off topic, but I will say I don't worry about Covid or any other disease at all. That would be the same as an irrational hypochondriac. In my opinion the rational thing to do is to continue taking the proper precautions against Covid or any other disease. In other words, even though I've now had 4 injections, I'm not about to throw my mask away when I'm out in public, crowded or not, mandate or not - at least not until Covid is essentially a thing of the past. If I end up getting Covid anyway, at least I'll know did my rational best to avoid it.

Of course I say that as I am lighting up my next cigarette . . .

Now, if you want a last word, go ahead. After that let's please get back to the topic.