Mask Mandate Dropped Now

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Mask Mandate Dropped Now

Post by Undaunted »

Thailand officially drops mask mandate in late night Royal Gazette order

By Adam Judd

24 June, 2022

The Thai Government, in a late-night order released around 10:00 P.M. on June 23rd, 2022, has dropped a divisive mask mandate in all public areas.

The mandate previously required one to wear masks in all public places, even outdoors or alone.

The wordage of the legally binding Royal Gazette order is as follows, in a summary and not a word-for-word translation:

The Ministry of Public Health has moved to wear a mask or cloth mask as a voluntary practice.

It is recommended, but not mandated, to wear one in crowded areas, in large groups of people, and in poorly ventilated places.

People at high risk of Covid-19, like the elderly, with pre-existing conditions, and at-risk should wear a mask properly at all times. However, this is not “mandated”.

The order is effective immediately and signed by Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha.

TPN media notes that private businesses and events have the ability and right to make mask wearing at their establishments and venues required, however.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/24/t ... tte-order/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Re: Mask Mandate Dropped Now

Post by Gaybutton »

See also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10787&p=107343#p107343

I disagree with the article below in that mask wearing has been disregarded in Pattaya. Not based on what I've seen. In the past few weeks I've seen a grand total of 1 person not wearing the mask, and I'm not even certain that lady is Thai. Everyone has still been wearing the facemasks everywhere.

Now that the mandate has been dropped, we'll see what the people will do now that wearing the facemasks are their own choice.

Compulsory mask wearing to end immediately

June 24, 2022

The Thai prime minister has signed the order to cancel the wearing of mask in public. Starting June 24, muffling will be optional even in busy places although elderly people, the infirm and pregnant women are advised to continue doing so if in a crowded situation. However, individual businesses can still require mask wearing on their premises, if they so insist.

Pattaya’s mayor Poramese Ngampichet had earlier predicted that the unpopular rule would end on July 1, but the notice in the Royal Gazette takes immediate effect. The requirement to wear a mask in public had been widely disregarded in Pattaya for some weeks, especially in night time venues, and there had been no recent cases of enforcement by police or health authorities. Malls and supermarkets are expected to abandon temperature checks and signing-in procedures which, in any case, had become hit and miss in the last two months.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ely-402160

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today I was in several parts of town. Literally every Thai was still wearing their facemask. Most are aware that the rule has been rescinded, but they, as I intend to do, are choosing to continue wearing the masks at least for the time being.

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:16 pm
Today I was in several parts of town. Literally every Thai was still wearing their facemask. Most are aware that the rule has been rescinded, but they, as I intend to do, are choosing to continue wearing the masks at least for the time being.
Same in Bang Saray.

I honestly don't think too many people (Thai or farang) were wearing their masks before because of the government mandate - they were wearing them because it made sense to them.

I think the same holds true now. Many people, including me, will still wear the mask when it makes sense to do so.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I had lunch with friends at a restaurant besides TukCom….few if any walking by were wearing a mask.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Chonburi is Pattaya's province. Provincial governors are permitted to modify the mask ruling as they see fit.

Part of the article says "can serve alcohol but under hygienic measurements." Hygienic measurements? That's a new term to me and I don't have a clue what it means. If any of you know what it means, please post.

And now that I'm officially among "the elderly", that puts me in the high risk group. I don't care whether I'm high risk or not, I will still wear the mask for the time being. I don't know yet when, or even if, I'll stop wearing the mask or by what criteria I'll decide.

Besides, with a face that looks like mine, people probably appreciate it being covered up anyway . . .

Chonburi Governor releases new orders, officially drops mask mandate

By Goongnang Suksawat

24 June, 2022

The Chonburi governor Phakarathorn Teanchai has released a new order tonight (June 24th) for dropping the mask mandate, following a national order released late last night, June 23rd, here.

The order about the mask mandate states:

1. All areas in Chonburi are now a “green” ‘surveillance area’. Places, businesses and activities can be opened and serviced as normal (including nightlife restored to regular hours as per local and regional rules) but must follow Covid-19 measurements.
2. A mask or cloth mask is a voluntary practice. However, the Ministry of Public health recommends to wear masks to prevent other respiratory diseases including Covid-19, especially in areas with lots of people and indoor areas. For Covid-19 patients or high-risk people, they ‘SHOULD’ wear masks when staying with other people.

Other rules in the order are:

3. Restaurants including cafeterias, street food, hotels or other businesses can serve alcohol but under hygienic measurements.
4. Entertainment venues can open under rules and measurements.

This “appears” to mean they can now be restored to “regular” hours, depending on local and regional rules, entertainment zone status, etc. Business owners can call 1337 in Pattaya with questions.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/24/c ... k-mandate/

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 am
Part of the article says "can serve alcohol but under hygienic measurements." Hygienic measurements? That's a new term to me and I don't have a clue what it means.
Just somebody stupid using "weasel words" to confuse people. Gotta luv it!

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today I was out and about on "The Dark Side", where I live. I did not go into Pattaya proper. But everybody I saw - and I mean everybody - is still wearing the face masks.

Undaunted posted that where he was only a few people were still wearing face masks.

Those of you in Thailand, please post your observations. Wherever you are, are most people still wearing their face masks?

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I am truly pleased it is happening like this. Again, today I saw many hundreds of Thais and every one of them were wearing the face masks. I have yet to spot anyone, including farang, who were out in public without wearing their face mask.

I know that some reading this might be inclined to present us with a lecture on why masks are no longer necessary, but that is beside the point. Even if that's right, I think it would be beyond foolish to go to Thailand and if most Thais are still wearing the masks, you refuse to wear one. You could cite how the mask mandate was dropped, but if you think that would sit well with the Thai people, you better think again.

I have no way of knowing how much longer it will be before the Thais start removing their face masks, but until they do it has become the norm in Thailand and those of you who go to Thailand, like it or not, better plan to wear it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thai PM feels satisfied, knowing most Thais still voluntarily want to wear masks, government spokesperson says

By Tanakorn Panyadee

25 June, 2022

Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha felt very satisfied to know that the majority of Thai citizens still voluntarily wanted to wear a facial mask, the government spokesperson said.

According to the government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, Thai PM Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha complemented most Thai citizens for keeping their facial masks on despite the official lifting of the mask mandate in outdoor/open spaces on Thursday, June 23rd, 2022.

Thanakorn stated the government was implementing the new “Universal Prevention” measure at present to keep Covid-19 under control as well as to mitigate the economy.

As for the Covid-19 situation today, June 25th, 2022, there are 2,236 new cases (2,235 domestic and 1 international) while 22,786 Covid-19 patients still remain in the hospital.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/25/t ... rson-says/