2nd Covid booster query

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: 2nd Covid booster query

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm From various other reports, Moderna seems more effective
For what it' worth, just a few days ago I read an article on the CNN web site that said from among all the vaccine choices, the Phizer vaccine is more effective against the Omicron variants than the others, which is just one of the reasons I opted for Pfizer as my most recent booster.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm .
From various other reports, Moderna seems more effective, but also with a higher incidence rate of side effects.
There were no side effects at all with my Pfizer jabs - but with Moderna I've experienced 24-48 hours of feeling lethargic...slight fever...sore arm...and don't even feel motivated to do the wild thing, which is the worst side effect of all.

I know Moderna packs a more powerful punch - but I think I'll go back to Pfizer if I ever need another booster.
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Got my 2nd booster today at Royal Garden Mall second floor, Beach Road end of the mall … IMHO the process was somewhat cumbersomely organized by Bangkok City Hospital (Soi Buakow) … they were unable to produce the official certificate of proof of vaccination … in a couple of days have to print it yourself after scanning a provided QR code or actually go to the hospital to collect it. But then … it was FREE.

NOTE WELL … I WAS TOLD BY TWO DIFFERENT STAFFERS THAT THIS FREE SERVICE OF MULTIPLE CHOICES OF VACCINES (one of the Chinese vaccines, Moderna, and Pfizer) WILL CONTINUE ON EVERY WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, AND FRIDAY UNTIL THE END OF JULY.
Jun

Post by Jun »

There are various studies around. Not all get the same conclusions, but some certainly have graphs suggesting Moderna has higher effectiveness.
For example: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2119451 (figure 1)

Whilst the difference may appear small, taking (100-effectiveness) often shows an interesting difference in the number or people getting covid.

Whatever we choose, taking a vaccine is better than not. See graph:

The over 70s result is a little suspicious, however I guess the sample size of over 70s who are unvaccinated might be small AND over 70s might be taking more care to avoid covid.

My side effects:
1 AZ -VERY lethargic the day after. Couldn't do much.
2 AZ - Slightly lethargic the day after.
3 Pfizer - Approx 1 week later, mild dizziness. I didn't even link this to the Pfizer vaccine until I noticed the same thing after dose 4.
4 Pfizer - Approx 1 week later, mild dizziness.

The only reason I've had 4 doses is because the third was in Bangkok and the easiest way to get documented proof of a booster for European travel was to take up my entitlement to an NHS booster.

If I had any choice in the matter, the next one would probably be half a dose of Moderna.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm
Jun wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm .
From various other reports, Moderna seems more effective, but also with a higher incidence rate of side effects.
There were no side effects at all with my Pfizer jabs - but with Moderna I've experienced 24-48 hours of feeling lethargic...slight fever...sore arm...and don't even feel motivated to do the wild thing, which is the worst side effect of all.

I know Moderna packs a more powerful punch - but I think I'll go back to Pfizer if I ever need another booster.
My reaction to Moderna was almost identical.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

For me, so far no kind of reaction at all from Pfizer. Not even any shoulder pain at the injection site.
Daleinpattaya wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 pm they were unable to produce the official certificate of proof of vaccination
What do you need it for? Don't you have the Mor Prom app? All the information is right there on the app. Unless you are traveling internationally and the recipient country requires it, I can't imagine a reason why it would be necessary. Also, I haven't been anywhere in Thailand where I was asked to produce proof of vaccination of any kind. Nobody so much as even asked if I have been vaccinated at all. I have all the information on the Mor Prom app and nobody but me has ever looked at it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was told upon receiving Pfizer booster at Royal Garden it would be posted on my Moh Prom app in 3 days….it is now posted there as my 4th vaccine along with the previous 3.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

All of my jabs (4) appear on Mor Prom, as they do on my hard-copy Vaccine Passport.

I doubt I'll ever be asked to produce these records except when I take a flight somewhere (domestic or international).

With all the vaccine I have pumped in me I doubt that I'll ever die from covid - but if I do, I'll probably have minimal side effects.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:04 pm My reaction to Moderna was almost identical.
I had zero reactions to Moderna vaccines (2).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Obviously some people get reactions to some of these injections and some don't. There's no way to know if you'll get a reaction until you get a reaction. I suppose there is some sort of biological explanation for it, but I'm not going to go hunting for it.

If I don't get a reaction, I just consider myself lucky.