TM6 - Arrival-Departure card scrapped for now

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

TM6 - Arrival-Departure card scrapped for now

Post by Gaybutton »

The reason for it is they think it will cut down on waiting time for arriving passengers and departing passengers. Maybe it will.

Meanwhile, welcome back to Confusion City. What about those of us already carrying the card in our passports? Do we still need them? I checked and notice the card number is not requested for the online version of the 90-day address report.

However, it is always on the application for retirement visa extension. Maybe it will be removed. We'll see.

Also, what about people arriving or departing by land or sea? "foreign travellers who enter Thailand by land or sea will still be required to fill out the form."

Ok, you enter by air, but are going to depart on a bus or a ship. How will that work?

When it comes to Thai government paperwork, I wouldn't try just guessing if I were you. If you have the Arrival-Departure card in your passport, I advise keeping it there. If it can be discarded, let immigration be who tells you. I would not discard it based on anything you see on the internet or posted on a board.

TM 6 immigration forms shelved for now at airports

15 Jun 2022

The government will temporarily halt the need for international passengers to fill out TM 6 immigration forms to ease passenger congestion at international airports.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday this would reduce the process for foreign visitors as they were already required to fill out many forms upon arrival. It will also help alleviate congestion as international arrival numbers have increased, he added.

Gen Prayut said authorities will evaluate the outcome of the announcement and consider if it needs to be revised, especially if they are unable to trace passengers. The Interior Ministry will expedite the drafting of the announcement, which is expected to finish in a week.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said foreign travellers who enter Thailand by land or sea will still be required to fill out the form.

The move will save around 45.5 million baht a year in printing costs for an estimated 65 million TM 6 forms, she said.

Immigration police can still collect data on arrivals via the biometric systems at airports, while other travel data can be collected from airlines, Ms Traisuree said.

Thais have not needed to fill out a TM 6 since 2017.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t-airports
gerefan

Re: TM6 - Arrival-Departure card scrapped for now

Post by gerefan »

If it can be suspended now, and not missed, then it could be binned altogether.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:36 pm If it can be suspended now, and not missed, then it could be binned altogether.
I don't know why it isn't. It's not a major issue, but why is it necessary at all, especially since it will continue at land and sea entrances to Thailand? In the time before computers I could see it, but now? In this day and age? I fail to see what purpose is served.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't see the point of the TM6, but there is a lot of pointless paperwork in the immigration system.

Much of it is far worse. If I were running the show, I'd abolish a lot of the daft processes, automate some of what remains and fire most of the people doing pointless jobs in all the regional immigration offices. What better time to do that than when there is a labour shortage ?

At least they have woken up and started doing e-visas that don't require us to send passports top the embassy.
The next step ought to be to allow us to use electronic immigration gates. After all, they already have seen my passport and have numerous copies of my photograph and finger prints. They can check the same and allow me through an electronic immigration gate.