Bar Reports

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bar Reports

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 am That was back in the day and times change.
There is one thing that never changes - except for the amount . . .

Also, unless something else has changed, I know of no laws, ordinances, or whatever that dictates what the boys are allowed to wear. As far as I know, as long as their genitals are covered, no laws are being broken. Whatever the reason is, if money would resolve the problem, if I were a bar owner, unless the amount demanded is outrageous, I would want to at least give it a try and see if it works to draw in significantly more customers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BKKDreamer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:05 am he would have a hard time to get enough customers in there to spend 2.833 every single day of the month.

What do you think ?
That is true, but it doesn't have to be every day. Maybe he makes enough to cover it on particularly busy days, such as weekends or something. Nevertheless, if the bar is surviving, somehow he is making it. But he needs to do more than mere survival. He has to make a living along with it.

I don't know how some of these bars are doing it, but I'm glad they manage it somehow.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:27 pm I know of no laws, ordinances, or whatever that dictates what the boys are allowed to wear. As far as I know, as long as their genitals are covered, no laws are being broken. Whatever the reason is, if money would resolve the problem
Of course. Also, genitals are on display in certain gay bar shows, plus certain female gogo bars in Pattaya and probably Bangkok. So money solves that problem. Whether it's economic for a small gogo like Hot Male is another question.
Do the brown shirts vary the tea money pro rata according to the size of the premises? Or do bigger bars get a better deal ?

As for the separate matter of a Jomtien host bar, well the gross margins seem OK. We just need to attract customers. In an ideal world I'd attract customers by putting the boys in speedos. Since we're not in an ideal world, lets compromise on tiny shorts and under sized sleeveless T-shirts. Or something similar. Give any boy who follows the dress code 70 baht per boy drink.
Coach them to smile and look after their customers well.
BKKDreamer

Post by BKKDreamer »

Jun wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:02 pm
BKKDreamer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:05 am What do you think ?
Perhaps that's for the bartender, who needs to be there and couldn't really be freelance ?

The other aspect is what upselling can be done ? e.g. Higher margins on premium beer. Bar snacks. Anything else WITH A LONG SHELF LIFE.

Also, if he later wants to expand and move to better premises within the complex, is it another 30,000 ? Or can that be transferred ? I would want to know the answer.

Give any boy who follows the dress code 70 baht per boy drink.
The additional staff line in the proposed budget is for 10.000 baht is for the bartender who needs to always be there. Also, the prospective new owner wants 1 day off per week so the bartender would need to backstop him.

So Jun, what would be the revised break even point considering the need to pay the bartender a salary ?

For upselling - we thought of the following ideas:

- to have a fixed popcorn machine on site where the first cup of popcorn is free then additional refills can be had for a nominal fee - 20 baht ?
if the popcorn is salty enough that creates $thirst$ :>))
- the current owner told the new prospective owner that many customers ask for coffee/tea - so this could be another upsell item

To draw people in we thought of maybe having a movie night 1 or 2 times a night. The space could accommodate a small movie screen. Do you think that this could draw customers in?
When I lived in Rome, Italy - two of the gay bars there had movie night where they would show a gay film - artistic, drama, action, etc. They would do a little short talk about the film, director, actors, etc. When the annual gay film festival was in town then they would show films all week and often the local gay directors and/or actors would make an appearance and speak to the audience.
Other ideas were for a mini-golf, dart board, etc.

can you think of other things that could draw the customers in ?
of course naked guys dancing around a pole is prohibited in Supertown - especially in one of these pop-up small outside bars.

The 30.000 damage security deposit held with the Jomtien Complex office is refundable (assuming no damage has occurred to the rented premises). Also, it can be transferred as part of the sale deal from one bar to another if the current owner who is due the 30.000 signs off to relinquish it to the new owner.

Jun, you wrote, "Give any boy who follows the dress code 70 baht per boy drink."
This is an EXCELLENT idea and gives the guys some financial incentives to perform to entertain the client base....
I would argue that if the guest bar guys can get enough customers into the bar and there is an excess profit - that some of this excess profit should be shared with the guys each month - like what we would do in the USA = Profit Sharing ....
Jun

Post by Jun »

OK, so about 26 drinks per day to break even. Assuming we have all the fixed costs covered.
Also ignoring depreciation on fixtures and fittings. Fridges, chairs, tables and anything else needed for a bar. We shouldn't ignore that. The chairs need to be comfortable, not those that look stylish, but are unfit to sit on for any length of time.
The electricity bill seems modest. I trust you have a good source of data for that ?

Now whilst I like some popcorn with a beer, I don’t think it's going to pull that many customers. In Silom Soi 4, the Circus with popcorn has about 1/3rd fewer customers than Balcony, the latter with no popcorn. The Circus popcorn allocation seems to be random. I didn't get any on my first Dec visit, asked for some on the second visit and still didn't get it and still none on my third visit. Some tables have it, including people with the same drink as me and numerous other tables do not.

The Circus had lots of overweight customers torturing themselves to stay off the popcorn. I would have shamelessly downed an entire bowl, had they provided one.

I think I'll try a different bar next time, as the seats look more comfortable across the road and I think the service is better.

I would cost out the popcorn. Materials, electricity and equipment depreciation. If less than 5 baht a bowl, it's a no brainer. If over 10 baht, I'd think carefully, as that's cutting your gross margin

I most definitely wouldn't go for a movie screening in a bar, but perhaps others would. You might need to turn up the volume to drown out the neighbours. Also licensing fees ?

If selling coffee, try sourcing and promoting a tasty blend from one of the local roasters in Pattaya (e.g Benjamit) rather than that awful Bon Cafe stuff.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Dragon beer bar Patpong 2 Alley, Surawong Rd Bangkok
Located street level just before the stairs to Fresh Boys. If open boys will be in the street asking you to come in.
Hours 17:00-01:00

Pool table and music played a reasonable level.
Host bar with a few boys all from Laos. Lao boys from Hot Male beer bar would come by to talk with staff as well so you get a preview of some of the Hot Male beer bar staff.
Drinks whiskey 120 beer 110. Drinks for boys add 50 to price.
Off fee 500 boy minimum tip 1,500
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Asia Traveler wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:01 am Off fee 500 boy minimum tip 1,500
As I've said, it's been a long time since I have been in any of these bars and it has been years since the last time I was in a Bangkok bar. For me, apparently these prices are the "new normal".

Speaking only for myself, while I realize living in Thailand is a totally different perspective from being in Thailand for a holiday, I wasn't happy with the "old normal" Bangkok prices, so I'm definitely, shall we say - less than thrilled, with these expected prices.

Obviously, either be willing to pay those prices or don't go to the bars. If nothing else, at least those reading these posts won't get "sticker shock" when you see these prices since you'll know in advance what to expect - that is unless the "new normal" prices go up again . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Salaries in Thailand are going up at 5~6% per year according to the Bangkok Post. From memory, they have been reporting similar levels for a few years.
If we apply 10 years of compound 5% increases, that's a 63% increase. So if bar boy tips go up in line with other jobs, 1000 in 2013 becomes 1630 now.
I didn't write down what I was tipping back in 2013, but very much doubt one could have got away with 1000 from a Bangkok gogo. I do have a note referring to a Toy Boy asking for 1500 in 2014. Which he didn't get and I mostly went elsewhere after that.
Now I write down who I see, where they are from, what I pay and whether they were any good. I use the Color Note app.

As an alternative reference, Trading Economics reports the Thai minimum wage increasing from 300 then to 354 baht now. Just an 18% increase.
On some undermoderated forums, any comparison to the minimum wage will result in a troll attack. Of course any rational person understands that we expect money boys to earn a multiple of that. Perhaps 3-5 times the DAILY minimum wage for short time. Or six times from a Bangkok gogo.

Of course, in 2023 off fees and above average tips are easily avoided with phone apps.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Jun wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:40 pm Winner Boys Again.

The most promising lad in the bar appears to be the bar tender. Slim, cute and nicely groomed, in the style that was fashionable about 10 years ago. Further investigations will have to wait, as I'm travelling out of town soon and I have other delightful young lads lined up until then.
LOL! That lad isn't a lad - but a tomboy, a lesbian female 😂
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:29 am LOL! That lad isn't a lad - but a tomboy, a lesbian female 😂
I'm afraid to ask, but how do you know?

A gay boy go-go bar seems like kind of a strange place for a lesbian to work. Unless her gender was obvious, I probably would have been fooled too.