Bar Reports

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiophilus

Re: Bar Reports

Post by thaiophilus »

"(On my PC, it looks better viewed in Facebook than within this post). "

All I see is this:

Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 pm Maybe one of these days the bars will figure out they are competing not only with each other, but also with the apps. For reasons that go beyond me, they rarely seem willing to listen to their customers. Just opening shop and waiting for the return of tourists - how come everybody except the bar owners knows that strategy only spells utter failure?
I doubt they will figure that out. The latest example is a bar in Sunee, maybe shouldn't name it, that reopened after about 3 years (?) closed. I saw only one thai man staff there sitting deep inside the bar watching TV or his phone. I did not see any customers on the occasions when I walked in Sunee. It was only open a few weeks. Now the bar has closed again.
Jun

Post by Jun »

thaiophilus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 pm "(On my PC, it looks better viewed in Facebook than within this post). "
All I see is this:
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
Clicking on the Settings Icon (gear shaped), I find it is defaulting to the 144p resolution. Increasing it to 540p is an improvement.

Here's an attempt at a non-embedded link. www.facebook.com/100008305250998/videos ... 7675/?t=16

SP55 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:58 pmThe latest example is a bar in Sunee, maybe shouldn't name it, that reopened after about 3 years (?) closed. I saw only one thai man staff there sitting deep inside the bar watching TV or his phone.
Phones are generally a terrible distraction.

I remember walking into Nature Boy about 4~5 years ago. The two boys got up and started dancing. I mistakenly ordered a drink. Within about a minute, the boys had sat down and were on their phones again. I'm thinking this isn't satisfactory if the boys stood up for just long enough for me to order a drink. I'm paying the inflated price for gogo action, not the drink. However, since the drink hadn't arrived and the path to the door was clear, I made a very swift move out through that door, just hearing a yelp from the waiter in the corner.

There used to be various massage shops around, with cute lads outside trying to lure customers in. The most memorable example was in Vientiane about 10 years ago. There were a number of mixed gender staff sat around a table. I had no plans for a late morning massage, but one of the lads was very hot, so I asked him for a massage.
Safely knowing that farang don't speak Lao, one of the ladies behind the till said something to the other which included the words "chuck wow".
I remember having a very nice massage, with him eventually naked and the sun streaming over the top of the cubicle curtains and showing his slim body off nicely.
I'd already figured that USD were not as well appreciated as on the previous trip, so I handed him all my remaining Kip, which still amounted to a smaller tip than I would have otherwise paid. He was ecstatic, with a big radiant smile.
The next day, he spotted me approaching the shop and he was out of his chair very quickly to make sure he got the repeat business.
Getting back to the point, on my next visit (~2019), the same shop had about 3 somewhat overweight slobs who seemed to spend the entire day lying down & playing on their phones.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

christianpfc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:33 pm
Undaunted wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:02 pm We waited and nothing happened the owner said she was calling boys on here phone to come...
I have a very clear policy of not entering a bar (i.e. buying a drink) if number of boys is low or I don't like any of the boys I see on stage or they wear too much clothes for my liking.

There will be more boys later? Guess what? I will come back later! (Or not, if I find somewhere with more boys now, or change my plans).
Trongpai wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:14 am Super A has reopened at the same location with a little renovation and a new AC. ... Not a single boy in house but the mamasan showed me several pages of photos on a tablet. I did not place an order. New sign. I wanted to buy the old mettle sign but it went to a buyer from Cambodia. I was promised that they'll be a big come back with lots of boys. Only just opened tonight.
Good to hear Super A is open again, I will have a look (but I will not buy a drink to look at pictures of boys on a tablet).

As for boys in shorts or long trousers, I will keep telling staff that having boys in underwear or swimwear on stage is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition to get my business.

In two months (Aug-Sep2022), I poked my head into about every gogo bar in Bangkok and Pattaya but only two got my business (Nice Boys and Winner Boys).
Some very positive words for Sunee plaza. I thought Winner bar did not have boys on stage in underwear though.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Pikky beerbar in Boyztown charges 200 baht for a boydrink. Dreamboys agogo and Toyboys agogo have raised the prices of their boydrinks to 250 baht. No wonder Jomtien complex has become the place to go for the expats.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

SP55 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:26 pm Dreamboys agogo and Toyboys agogo have raised the prices of their boydrinks to 250 baht. No wonder Jomtien complex has become the place to go for the expats.

I don’t agree that GoGo bar prices are the reason that expats seem to prefer Jomtien Complex. After visiting the complex a few times you immediately are aware that most customers are 65 or older and are more interested in socializing amongst themselves than going to a GoGo bar and rarely do you even see a customer talking with a boy and the boys sit in small groups engaged with their phones.
Only one of my friend occasionally visits the complex, for me it is a total bore however, apparently my opinion is the minority opinion.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 pm I don’t agree that GoGo bar prices are the reason that expats seem to prefer Jomtien Complex. After visiting the complex a few times you immediately are aware that most customers are 65 or older and are more interested in socializing amongst themselves than going to a GoGo bar and rarely do you even see a customer talking with a boy and the boys sit in small groups engaged with their phones.
Only one of my friend occasionally visits the complex, for me it is a total bore however, apparently my opinion is the minority opinion.
I agree with you that the elderly farangs in Jomtien complex go there to socialize among themselves (and look at the dragqueen shows). I agree with you that the boys in JC mostly sit and chat among themselves and with their many female friends there. I agree with you that JC is as fun as doing the dishes.
Heck I agree with you on everything.
Jun

Post by Jun »

When I visit Thailand, I'm a tourist and am in my mid 50s.

To a large extent, I've not had the option of going to gogo bars in the last couple of years. From what I hear, post covid restrictions, what gogos have re-opened are not that great either.

So if the gogo bars are not very good these days, we need to look at what else is around.
Once we move onto host bars, the Jomtien host bar experience is far better than the Boyztown host experience. Well, for my tastes at least. For anyone who likes lady boys and louder music, perhaps Boyztown is better.

Also, I was using the apps to some extent before the pandemic. Bar closures reinforced that habit.
So I've been finding my boys on the apps and going to bars separately for socializing. Just like the expats and some other tourists.

This also has the benefit of ensuring I've not consumed any beer before having a visitor to my bedroom, which is probably better for all concerned.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:13 am For anyone who likes lady boys and louder music, perhaps Boyztown is better.
I would have written that sentence to say "For anyone who likes lady boys, louder music, and much higher prices, perhaps Boyztown is better."
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:59 am I would have written that sentence to say "For anyone who likes lady boys, louder music, and much higher prices, perhaps Boyztown is better."
I nearly wrote that.

If you get more pleasure, it's worth paying the higher prices. However, I like the Jomtien host bars better than the Boyztown host bars, even before we consider the beer being 30~50 baht cheaper in Jomtien. Those who like ladyboys and the noise might be quite happy to pay the Boyztown premium.

Moving onto the gogos, Boyz Boyz Boyz charging me 300 baht, or whatever it might be to watch gogo boys who are not close to my type is an even more difficult sell.
Likewise, the "New Twilight" bar in Bangkok has no chance of me paying 3~400 baht to watch rather plain boys in clothes. If they are wearing jeans and a top, that's more clothes than the average Jomtien bar boy.

Now if Toy Boys put out some cute lads in skimpy white underwear, they stand a very good chance of selling me drinks at 200~250 baht. That's what Boyztown needs. When prices are higher, the business simply needs to offer something extra for the money. If they offer something worse, I'm not going to be a customer.